“Don't do it”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't do it”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

The Belize people are suffering because their government is padding the coffers with tourism money. I'm am sorry to do this but the word has got to get out. Belize is a dirty dangerous country that is making money hand over fist from the national tourism that is coming from Cruise lines. I was the Carnival Conquest December 2013 and have to say Belize was the worst port ever. The Mayan ruins were great but having to go through Belize City and the country side was almost nauseating. The reason being was the conditions that the people were living in. Also the roads, they were horrible. If the country wants visitors they are going to have to fix the roads. A 14 mile treck from the main road to the ruins took over an hour and was miserable. The cave tubing was cancelled due to the high water in the river. Another negative about Belize is the 30 minute tender ride from the shop to the port. If it was worth it I might not mind but it is not. Belize was the worst part of my cruise and until the country starts making changes I will not book a cruise that stops there. This is just my opinion!

1 Thank Stig L

Sacramento, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Belize City and Altun Ha May Site Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I'm giving the overall rating high because our three tour guides were exceptionally knowledgeable about Belize and the Altun Ha Maya site, which I found to be extremely informative - they were wonderful tour guides. The site was awesome! The restroom facilities were clean and well-attended. We ended up buying water from the vendors for a dollar a bottle which was a deal for us and a nice profit center for them, and they were not pushy or high-pressure, which I appreciated. As a side-bar note: Belize City is not a destination I would ever return to or encourage anyone to visit. The Radisson Hotel in the city was in desperate need of an over-haul, at least some refreshing. It didn't represent the brand name and could have used some attention, and all I saw was the outside; I can't imagine what it was like inside, hopefully the outside of the building doesn't represent the inside. Belize City was dirty; there were several blighted areas both in the city and the outskirts. Several of the rural areas represented poverty, typical of so many of the destinations cruise ships port at. There was definitely two economic classes: you either had money, or you had very little money; there was no in-between, and this was very evident from what I observed on this tour. If you are a lover of animals, you would observe the large population of stray dogs who appeared malnourish and not very well cared for. If it weren't for the Altun Ha Maya site, I would just as soon not revisit Belize. This is not a family port of call for young children. If there is more to Belize, I would need to do additional research, but for this particular visit, I was not impressed with Belize.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank HCR173
Charlottesville, VA
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Wonderful intimate and personable tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We booked this from previous reviews while stopping in Belize on a cruise. The cruise ship tour was much pricier and went out on school buses basically. Experience Belize tours, Allan, picked us up in a much smaller bus and our tour was only 5 people total so we had a wonderful, personal time and were able to ask questions and explore much more than in the large groups. The free drinks on the way there and back were also a wonderful delighter (local beers are always fun to try but the bottled water was greatly appreciated). Lot's of fun local information. Allan knows a lot about the plants and not just the sights. He showed an obvious pride in his homeland. Highly recommended.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank reedr3va
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Belize City and Altun Ha tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We took a half day trip with Experience Belize Tours Ltd. mainly to visit Altun Ha but enjoyed the Belize City sights also. Allen Dawson our guide and tour operator was great. He was a wonderful source of information on both Belize City and Altun Ha. His "coach" was a nice way to travel and picked us up punctually and didn't rush the trip.
This was a great tour at a great price, admission and beverages are included.
Tony and Dot

Visited July 2013
5 Thank d0t0ny
Gulfport, Mississippi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Long Trip - only went to Altun Ha”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

The trip out was very long. Interesting sights of the country side along the way and the ruins were very interesting. Guides were knowledgeable but for the money go to the Lumani mayan ruins on the boat trip!

Visited June 2013