“Altun Ha Maya Site Only”

Altun Ha Maya Site and Belize Zoo Combo Tour
Ranked #49 of 78 Tours in Belize City
Pflugerville, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Altun Ha Maya Site Only”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We only went to Altun Ha Maya Site. It was the best Mayan site we have seen and we have been to 3. The temples were amazing. It takes about an hour to get there from the port as the roads are not good and part of them are basically one lane, but it is well worth the trip. You are allow to climb on a few of the temples but the steps are not even and they are deep so it can be a difficult climb. One person in our group did trip so we did have a "blood scarfice" :) Our guide was very informative and give us such rich history on the Mayan culture which only enhance a beautiful site. There are a number of vendor stands at the entrance and I found the ones selling food to be very pushy but the rest would negotiate their prices for items I was interested in buying.

Visited January 2013
7 Thank confqueen

Liverpool
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Nice site but hard sell at market”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Altun Ha is amazing. We did not do the Belize Zoo Combo Tour just visited the site. It takes about an hour to get to from the cruise terminal. |Our cruise ship was moored five miles out due to the coral reef so the tender journey took around 20 minutes there and back in rain and choppy waters - not for the faint hearted! When we finally got to the site, the sun broke through and it was lovely but we were harassed by market vendors trying to sell their goods. I don't mind buying gifts, however when they ask for $400 for a Mayan mask which we eventually bought for $30 in Cozumel, then I get cheesed off. I doubt I'd get off the ship at Belize and understand that some cruise companies are taking the port off their itinerary.

14 Thank Exvoguemodel
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Mayan Ruins were Amazing”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our tour guides were great and very informative. I enjoyed being able to see the ruins and hear about their history.

"The Mayans were short people", one of the tour guides had mentioned before.
Whoever told me this had obviously never climbed up the ruins before because I'm short and those "stairs" were not made for short people. So- while I do recommend that you do climb up if they allow you, I also warn you that if you are small- it's a nightmare on your legs.

Well worth it though.

Visited September 2012
10 Thank Kylie B
Brownsburg, Indiana
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Beautiful Ruins”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We did not visit the zoo, but the ruins were beautiful. Our guide from Charlie's Cave Tubing (Alphius) brought us to the ruins and was a wonderful, and informative leader.

4 Thank Michele4T
WPB
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Altun HA Maya Site”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very Beautiful, area of the ruins still not unearthed. The area is well maintained and easy to climb up the ruins.

3 Thank King B