“Fantastic Lamanai and river day tour!!”

Fantasea Belize Day Tours
Ranked #54 of 79 Tours in Belize City
More attraction details
Owner description: Fantasea Belize Ltd is a Belizean Family owned tours adventure provider in Belize! Our aim is to share the many colors and adventures that Belize has to offer to everyone.
Vermont, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fantastic Lamanai and river day tour!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I can’t think of a better guide to have than David. I’d checked around and his reviews were very good (and well deserved). He answered all my questions by email and was very helpful in planning the day. There were 3 adult couples (ages 20’s to 50’s) in our group so we had a private tour. The tour included a river boat trip up the New River and a tour of the Mayan Lamanai Ruins. David picked us up from our Belize City hotel on time and got us back when he said he would. During the whole tour, (whether we were driving, walking or boating) David was personable, entertaining and a wealth of information. He knows the plants, the animals and all about the Mayan culture and ruins. During the ride up he stopped at a roadside stand and we sampled some local snacks (oranges, cassava chips).The river tour was great too. The boat captain pointed out crocs, MANY birds, tree bats, iguana and we fed a spider monkey. David made the entire Lamanai tour informative and fun. We (including our pregnant daughter) climbed all the ruins, David explained it all and took pictures for us. (Termites do taste like peppermint.) We also were treated to a howling battle between two groups of Howler Monkeys. They are loud! Lunch was a delicious feast; stewed chicken, beans & rice, fruit, refreshments. Use David’s services and you will have an incredible time! We sure did and we highly, highly recommend him.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Mike967

Muncie, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lamanai Tour with David Almendarez---AWESOME”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Ok it's been a year since our trip (July 2012), but I wanted to leave a review. My mom (early 60s), best friend and I (early 30s) went on what was their first (and my 2nd) cruise last summer. We chose to go with this company because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor, and we did not regret a THING. The speed boat was fun, the little monkey who got on our boat and got fat on bananas was mega cute, and the ruins were really really cool. There is a bit of walking, but they break it up so much (with stopping to talk about different structures, etc) that you don't feel like you are really doing all that much walking (Though by the end, you are ready for a break). My friend climbed to the top of one of the ruins (there are huge stairs going all the way up) but I was not feelin it. HA. If you are in good shape, I'd recommend it, as she said the view was really awesome. ...Just make sure you use the restroom BEFORE you go. They have a bathroom when you first get there, before you start hiking... and of course once you are done. So make sure you take advantage of them. Watch your footing, as the ground can be uneven or slippery in areas. I don't think we had any problems with mosquitoes. Mom and I are both overweight (I was 330 lbs at the time, and 5'7") and we were able to handle the walking/hiking without any problems. If you have mobility issues, however, I would definitely bring that up at the time of booking and ask them if they recommend this for you--or are willing/able to make accommodations. You will need to be able to get in and out of a boat and do pretty minor hiking (which includes not slipping on possibly wet surfaces). Use your own judgement. Bottom line: We had a blast!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank kimequa
Fitchburg, WI
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Lamanai day tour: Excellent tour, excellent company, great value”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had arranged for a tour with David and Fantasea via email based on online reviews we had seen. We wanted to book our own acitivty while our ship was at port in Belize because my mom, age 83, does not move around as fast as most people, and we wanted to tour the Lamanai ruins, but able to do it at our own pace.

David and Melissa met us just outside of port exactly as they had promised. We ended up with David driving us, and were extremely lucky to have that. He was WONDERFUL. Excited about his country and wanting us to know all about it. The ride out of town and across the country side flew by as we learned about the country.

We arrived at the place to pick up our boat to head up river, and David and his staff (one of whom was his daughter) were all very helpful in getting my mom loaded onto the boats. It was extremely challenging for a person of limited mobility, but they made it work.

We left David behind, and rode up the river to see the ruins. Boat captain stopped to see some sights along the way, and in about an hour, we were at the sight of the ruins.
Getting out the boat was again a challenge for my mother, and the long walk on the high pier made me nervous, but we managed to get on shore. The boat captain needed help carrying the large coolers on the boat, so my husband and niece helped with that while my son and I helped my mother.

While David had been careful to separate cars by ship, so that no one had to be rushed due to the departure time of another cruise, the boat company had let another family on at the last moment that was on a ship that was due to depart hours before ours, so there was a sense of rush at the ruins. We got mom over to the pavilion where we were supposed to eat lunch, but not all of the lunch was there. So, the decision was made to go see the ruins before lunch.

Because my mom had not had a chance to rest and because the ground was so rough, she ended up having to wait for us in the museum instead of getting to see the ruins.

The rest of us went off to see the ruins, but because we were in a hurry to get the one family back to get their boat, we were a little bit rushed. All that being said, the ruins are spectacular and my family loved climbing them.

Back to the pavilion for lunch (which was excellent: sodas, chicken, rice/beans, salads and watermelon for dessert) and then back onto the boat so the one family could make their ship.

We flew back down the river to let the one family off at our original departure point. Our family and the other couple on our tour that were not as pressed for time stayed on our little boat and went a little ways downstream where our boat driver knew a monkey was hanging out. We stopped under the trees, and my children, niece and husband all got a chance to feed the monkey from their hands.

Back to our dock and David, his daughter, and another driver were there to help my mom with the very high step off the boat and onto the dock.

Since we had time on the way back, David stopped at fruit stand to get us some native fruits, and at a market to get a cold beer.

We were back to port with plenty of time to spare, and could do a little shopping in the port side stores before we had to get in line for a tender.

I was extremely impressed with the efficiency of David’s organization, and was wowed by his charm and energy. I am very very happy we chose to do this tour independently as opposed to with a large group.

I would recommend this company very highly to anyone, and if I ever get back to Belize, I would not hesitate to use this company for another of their tours. And I would bring David beef jerky!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank FitchburgWIFamily
Ontario,Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Greatest Tour and Guide in Belize”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

On our recent cruise we stopped at Belize. We were looking for a tour of Mayan Ruins and came across Davids site (we were travelling with our 2 boys 11 and 14).Reading other reveiws we decided to contact David and ask if he could add a few extras onto his Altun Ha ruins tour. David went above and beyond what we expected.
upon getting off the tender we went to the exit of terminal 2 where we were to meet. David was already there holding a sign with our group name. From the cruiseship center we first stopped at a local roadside fruit stand wherewe picked up some oranges and on David suggestion a bunch of "Apple-Bananas". WOW people you have to try the apple bananas!AWESOME
Making our way to another store we picked up some Adult bevies and juice for the kids, then it was about 45 min drive to the ruins...with David answering questions and giving detailed knowledge and facts about Belize, its people,culture etc. The ruins were Fantastic,again Davids knowledge was second to none. Part of the ruins involves a short walk in the jungle, be sure to ask David to sample the TERMITES....they have a peppermint taste!!!!!.After the ruins David took us to a local restaurant for some scratch made Belizian food. Again FANTASTIC! This was the exact things we had asked for from David, however he had one more stop in mind. The local RUM Factory!!!! Where 1$ gets you 3 small samples of different rums. After all this it was time to get back to the ship. David dropped us off at the door.!!

People if you want a tour guide that goes above and beyond, has great knowledge of the area and best of all makes your day fun GO WITH FANTASEA BELIZE LTD.
The price is right, the service is second to none and the experience is one that my family and I will never forget!! If you let David take care of things you are in for the BEST EXCURSION EVER!!! David is very flexable and will cater to all of your requests!!

Another note to pass along is that all you need to do is confirm by e-mail with David as to what you want. If for whatever reason the trip is cancelled you do not have to worry about a refund because David Does Not ask for deposits!!This is easy for you and causes no headaches for you or David later!!

Let David and Fantasea Belize take care of you and you will not be disappointed!!!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Kent M
Des Moines, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Lamanai Ruins- David Almendarez Fantasea Belize, Increadible!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was our first cruise and I was responsible for planning excursions for 3 families. I was very hesitant to go on independent ones instead of through the ship. I can't tell you how glad I did!

David was very responsive to emails while booking and very professional. He and Dave, our driver, were waiting for us exactly where he said holding a sign with my name. We then had about an hour ride by van while Dave pointed out local sights and answered all my "tourist questions" about the Belize culture and way of life. He also had water available the entire trip.

Once at the landing, there were restrooms that were very acceptable, even to picky me. The ride through the jungle was unbeliveable. We stopped to see monkeys, etc.

Once at the site, with Dave by our side, our guide served us lunch that his mother prepared that morning. It was by far the best food we had the entire cruise, and served with such pride!

When we stared our tour I noticed the cruise groups being herded around and was very thankfull we had our private guide and group of 7 instead of 35 plus people.

The ruins were incredible and we had over and hour to climb, explore, etc.

Once back at the landing we had time to relax a litte and use the restrooms before the van ride back.

During the ride Dave stopped at a little market where we purchased Belkin, the local beer, to enjoy during the trip.

We should have had an hour plus to spare to meet our tender, but because of traffic and construction were delayed. Dave assured us that no one had ever missed the ship on his watch and was true to his word. We made it with time to spare.

If you want the "Disney" version of the ruins, go with the cruise line, but if you want to help the local economy and experiance real Belize choose Fantasea Belize.

Thank you for an unbelizable experience we will never forget. David and Dave, God bless you and your families.

Visited January 2013