“Cave Tubing Adventure”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Cave Tubing Adventure”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was a very fun excursion. The water was a bit chilly, but it felt great after the 45 minute hike through the jungle. If you do this excurision, be aware you have to walk for almost an hour over stoney paths carrying a tube. It can be difficult at times. Make sure you bring your water shoes for this excursion. The guides were very knowlegable and lots of fun. I expected this to be a small group but it ended up being an entire bus load.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Cynthia G

Salem
“Our favorite excursion of the whole cruise!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We took this excursion in November, while on the Norwegian cruise line. We booked through the website instead of through the cruise line and saved 50%. We were about an hour and a half late getting into Belize because of having to tender out from the ship in rough waters, but our guide Wentworth was at the port waiting for us. He knew our names and had our reservation info, it was very professional, unlike some other excursions we had taken. The bus ride was very informative and fun, and went by fast because of Wentworth's knowledge about Belize. Because of all of his fascinating insights and a quick stop at a local store for snacks and recado (keep reading), we felt like we really got a crash course in Belizean culture. When we arrived, I was glad to see that the facilities were fairly modern and park-like since this excursion takes place at the Nohoch Che’en Archaeological Reserve. We carried our tubes and life jackets on the 40 min. walk, which wasn't too bad. Our family considered it more of a "walk" than a "hike" since there was a wide, cleared path, and it wasn't too hilly. We were concerned about footwear, since we decided to wear watersocks instead of hiking shoes, but the watersocks were fine. Very beautiful and scenic through caves and the jungle. The water was a little chilly, but you do get used to it pretty fast, and I'm cold-natured. The ride through the caves was absolutely beautiful, definitely bring a camera. At the end, we had plenty of time to change clothes and eat. The chicken, which was made with recado, rice and beans, were delicious. On the way back, Wentworth explained to us how to cook with the recado we had purchased, and what made the rice and beans so good--coconut milk. We arrived back in time despite getting a late start that morning. Everyone agrees that we would like to take this excursion again!

Visited November 2012
Brandon, Mississippi
“Cave Tubing”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The cave tubing was a fun experience. Wentworth was our guide and he did an GREAT job. We were lucky in the fact that they waited for us after us learning that we had to tender out from our ship. We were 30 minutes late to the meeting place and low and behold there was Wentworth with a sign and he actually knew my friends name because the reservation was in her name. The 45 walk was a little hard but that is because I don't exercise much. Along the walk we stopped several times and he showed us different plants and tree's and also he let whomever wanted too try termites. I did of course. I said that I needed the extra protein to continue my walk. :) The only suggestion that I have is that instead of carrying our tubes and lifejackets with us on the 45 minute walk was to have the tubes and life jackets already by the river or to get us to the river with horses or some other form of transportation. I guess I'm just a little lazy. After tubing we had a awsome lunch. Their rice ane beans was the best i had ever eaten. They cook their rice in coconut milk. Yummy. We also had lots of fresh fruit to eat. I would take this tour again if I find myself traveling to Belize again.

Visited October 2012
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Un-BELIZE-able! :)”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I took this excursion during our last cruise, and had a great time! Wentworth was an awesome and engaging guide, telling us stories about the country as well as answering many questions from our group. The walk to the river took about 45 minutes, and was not too difficult. He showed us many native plants, and we even got to see an iguana. :)

The river was a little cold at first, but after a little bit it felt great. The caves were cool and it was a good break from the warm day. Once the excursion was done, we had a box lunch and juice in a small picnic area. The lunch was OK.

The only reason the review didn't get 5 stars is because once we tendered from the boat, we were sent to a waiting area, and were left waiting for nearly an hour. Once we got on the bus, we made a stop at a small grocery store (not really sure of the purpose, other than for us to buy things to support the people there). You get a glimpse of the REAL Belize, as the poverty there is quite obvious. The guides were aware of the times, and made sure we were back at the tenders in time.

I would recommend this outfit for those who want to take an excursion, but don't want to pay the cruise ship price. Booking outside the cruise line will save you about 50%.

Thanks, Wentworth and crew for a great time!

Visited October 2012
Downers Grove
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great fun but need to improve departure time”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I booked the tour on our own. We enjoyed the cave tubing and the staff. However, the tour is over 5 hours, and we needed to be back by 2 pm local time to get the last tender. Xtreme made us wait 1.5 hours from the time we arrived. (Our ship was the only one in port). I asked if we would be back in time, they assured me we would be. At 1 pm I asked, if we would be leaving soon, since it is an hour trip back to port. They said we would. We left at 1:15 local time to start our hour trip back to port. On the "highway" the front tire blew out. The driver did an excellent job of controlling the bus, but the jack did not work. We had to wait for another van to give us a working jack. Needless to say, we made it back to port an hour late and should have missed the ship. Luckily, a Cruise tour bus was also late, so we made the last tender. Considering the length of the tour, and all particpants were on the same ship, there was no reason to make us wait to start the tour. We had a lot of fun cave tubing, but the timing needs to be improved so the guests don't have to worry about missing their ship.

Visited September 2012