Open today: 8:00 AM - 4:45 PM

from $150.00
from $62.00
from $150.00
More Info
All reviews alpha male black howler monkeys burrell boom monkey family cashew fruit nature walk support local belize city night canoe visitor center plant life canoe ride once in a lifetime wild animals native plants knowledgeable guides an amazing experience
Reviewed August 10, 2018

I was able to get the Baboon Sanctuary in combination with the Belize Zoo. I believe they are about 45 minutes apart. I didn't see that combo advertised but if you bring it up I believe most tours can arrange it. The Howler Monkey family only took 10 minutes to find. Shane the guide is very knowledgeable about the plant life and habits of the monkey family. He educates you on how the village has agreed to alot land to the various families so they can thrive without being caged up. It is nice the people respect the animal's rights to freedom and space and are co existing with them. It was thrilling to hand feed one of the monkeys knowing he can come and go as he pleases and interacts or not if he wants. It is an excursion well worth the effort.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank seekingserenity097
Reviewed August 9, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyed our hike through the forest. Robert was very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna. It did not take too long before we had a troop of howler monkeys overhead and they came down to visit.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed August 3, 2018

At a certain age, it's rare that one does something that is actually new. Belize certainly offered a lot of first-time experiences and the baboon sanctuary was definitely a part of that. Here, not only did a learn a lot about the plant life, in some cases with medicinal uses, in other cases just fascinating, like the mimosa pudica, that curls inward upon being touched but also the non-monkey animal life, such as the soldier ant, whose mandibles can actually be used to stitch wounds. But the howler monkeys stole the show, with the first one seen actually peeing from up high for a full minute, such that our tour group had to dodge to get out of the way. Then we saw a family on a tree, with what I'll call "toddler" age and "child" age monkeys for a lack of a better term. One of these monkeys pulled a fruit right out of my hand, such that I felt its nails gently against my palm, while the alpha male did its howl, which I liken less to the sound of most monkeys and more to the sound of an asthmatic jaguar. Unbelievable!

2  Thank mtlbaltdan
Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

Our family of 5 visited and we left speechless and amazed at how close the Howler Monkeys got to us (within easy reach, however, our guide instructed us to not touch them but did hand us small branches full of leaves to feed the monkeys with.) Our daughter graduated from high school in May and chose the baboon sanctuary as one of her excursions while on her senior trip and it turned out to be one of our favorite activities!!! Our guide, Robert, was excellent! He took us on a nature walk and was very informative about the plants and shared a lot of interesting facts with us! Great memories for all 5 of us!!!

1  Thank Axl_Dawg
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Visiting this sanctuary was the BEST part of the trip! It was amazing to see the monkeys up close and get the opportunity to feed them. Our guide Royce did an amazing job with telling us the history and making sure we had a experience of a lifetime! It was incredible! I left speechless! Will definitely be booking again!