“A nice stop”

$150.00*
Belize Zoo and Baboon Sanctuary Tour from Belize City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Community Baboon Sanctuary is one of the first of its kind in the the world in terms of how it is set up. It is a Non Governmental,community base organization which is manage by the Women's Conservation Group(Local women from the area). The Community Baboon Sanctuary is home to more than 3500 howler monkeys and over 250 species of birds. A wide variety of other animals frequent the area..
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was a nice stop on the trip. The sanctuary is much smaller than we expected but was a nice way to see the baboons up close. The walk is minimal to an area were a few of the baboons hang out. The guide is able to get them to come down and eat from the guests. What I liked is that we supported a good cause to preserve this wildlife. Guide was friendly.

1  Thank LuxuryLisaHouston

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We chose this as our shore excursion on a recent cruise because it was one of the few excursions suitable for kids under 8. As we were in port on Christmas day, we were unable to do the zoo portion of our excursion. If you have young kids, know that the bus ride will take about an hour. Our kids were 4,5 and 9 and they did alright on the ride, but a couple of 2 year olds had a tough time. Once there, you get a quick presentation about the Sanctuary and then you start your walk to look for the monkeys. As others have stated, bring your heavy duty bug spray!! After about a 15 walk our guides had located the family of monkeys in our vicinity. It was a male, a mother with a baby and 3 others. The guides brought leaves to feed the monkeys. The mom and baby were adorable. I was feeding the male when one of the guides said to not feed him as he could get aggressive. Since I had had a good look at his super sharp teeth, I had no problem following that request. All in all, our time at the Sanctuary was probably a little under an hour. It was very cool, but make sure that your little ones can tolerate the ride!

1  Thank AlejoHouston
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We hired a cab to take us to the sanctuary. It is a long drive but well worth the experience. $40 for each person in our group. This was such an amazing experience and I am so glad that we took the effort to get there. It is about an hour trip, depending on the roads and traffic. Our driver took the time to point out the sights of Belize on the way and was clearly proud of his city. Once we got to the sanctuary we were led by Robert who carefully explained the history of the sanctuary and then took us to see the howler monkeys. We walked through the area of this jungle in this little community and Robert also explained the plants and insects along the way. He was able to call down the monkeys and we fed them leaves that Robert had brought for us. He made sure that we were able to take many pictures and pointed out the 1 month old baby that was hanging onto it's mother. The big alpha male monkey did not come down but was vocal in his callings back and forth with Robert. It was wonderful to see monkeys in the wild, protected and cared for by a community with the support of the WWF. Robert is an asset to this program as he obviously loves what he does and the monkeys.

2  Thank LunaOhio
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I made my own way to the Baboon Sanctuary by public transportation from Belize City. It was not that easy. There are no morning buses; the first one was at 12 noon (but it didn't actually leave until 12:30pm) and it does not go from the regular bus station. It is the McFadzean bus which leaves from near the corner of Cemetery Road, on Amara Avenue, a small lane. There is also apparently another bus company, Russell, which supposedly leaves from the corner of Euphrates Street and Cairo Street, but it leaves at the same time. You have to take this noon bus if you want to reach the Sanctuary, visit, and catch a bus back to Belize City, as the bus comes back at 3:30pm. On weekdays apparently the Russell bus returns at 4pm. Most tourists seem to take a taxi, which was too pricy for me! But the bus trip took about an hour and a half each way and cost only $3.50 BZ each way.

I think I paid $6 or $7 U.S. entrance fee, which I was told included the guided walk, however our guide openly suggested we give him a generous tip for the tour, which was extremely short (around 35 minutes) which was a real pity since everything he told us was fascinating. Robert was clearly an expert and he explained about the medicinal plants found in the forest, pointing them out, and often showing how they were used. We saw mud termite homes and worker ants carrying bits of leaves. But the guide seemed in a real rush, so if you stopped to take a picture, he walked on and you would miss his next explanation. I was in a small group of only about a half-dozen people and a few of us really were sorry to miss much of his excellent commentary, particularly about the medicinal properties of the plants and diseases they cured.

Regarding the howler monkeys, yes, he enticed a couple of them down and fed them the leaves they eat, so we had several minutes to take pictures of them. It was great. Robert even imitated the sound they make and a male monkey deeper in the jungle responded with this strange and powerful cry. Really cool to hear this sound. Apparently there are just a few monkeys in that part of the forest that visitors walk in. The others are in another section of the sanctuary. I wonder if guests who stay overnight and do the night hike have a more leisurely walk. Surely they can hear these unusual cries of the howler monkeys.

I would recommend this trip to travelers interested in this unique experience, but would suggest to the sanctuary that they extend the time of the guided walk to 60 or even 90 minutes, as to come this distance for such a short tour is a bit of a let-down.

By the way, be sure not to forget to bring mosquito repellant .... you will need it!

You can also buy a bottle of cashew wine there, which looked interesting, but I didn't buy any.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I thought this was an amazing experience. The guide took us around the sanctuary and filled us in on the history of the area and had loads of information on all the animals. The monkeys came down from the trees and were very close to us. It was hard not to touch them! There was also a little baby attached to it's mother. A great experience not to be missed.