“Informed guides and you're almost sure to see howler monkeys”

Community Baboon Sanctuary
$150.00*
Altun Ha and Howler Monkey Sanctuary Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Community Baboon Sanctuary is one of the first of its kind in the the world in terms of how it is set up. It is a Non Governmental,community base organization which is manage by the Women's Conservation Group(Local women from the area). The Community Baboon Sanctuary is home to more than 3500 howler monkeys and over 250 species of birds. A wide variety of other animals frequent the area..
Melbourne, Australia
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 205 helpful votes
“Informed guides and you're almost sure to see howler monkeys”
Reviewed December 24, 2011

the info centre is small but has a decent amount of info on fauna of Belize. the guide was well informed and took us directly to a troop of howler monkeys (in one of the local preserved sections of jungle) who seemed habituated to being fed by the guide. the next day I ran into another group on a walking tour who seemed to have had more trouble locating the monkeys so I guess it's not a guaranteed thing (though they did come across them, and their guide similarly fed them leaves, towards the very end of their walk)

Visited December 2011

Fernie
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Could have stayed all day!”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

The sanctuary is a local effort to keep forest intact and avoid destructive land management practices. Our local guide Russel was easy going and really provided us with a lot of info without us feeling rushed. The wild troupe of Black Howler Monkeys come out of the trees to observe and be observed. I was blown away at how close they came and was completely awe struck by them. This visit was one of only a few things that I HAD to do while in Belize and it did not disappoint. I will never forget the experience in my life and hope to go back again.

Visited November 2011
canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“WOW!!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

You HAVE to ask for Robert as your guide. He guaranteed a sighting of howler monkeys...& my response was you've taught us so much about the plants already, don't worry about it. Sure enough, 10 min. later, here comes a family of 6 (including a 9 day old baby). I asked Robert if I could touch one & he said not mom. I tickled a toddler on her belly. When was the last time you touched a howler monkey in a jungle? AWESOME!!!
P.S. Robert's medicinal plant knowledge got rid of my mom's wart.
P.S.S. Ask Robert about leaf-cutter ants. I promise, you'll be blown away!

Visited January 2011
1 Thank CanadaMichele
Warsaw, Indiana
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“How to call a monkey”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We spent a few nights at Crooked Tree Lodge and took a day trip to the Belize Zoo and the Community Baboon (local for Howler Monkey) Sanctuary. The road coming through Burrel Boom to the Sanctuary was reasonably good. At Burmudian Landing, you arrive at a modest building which houses the visitor's center. We took a guided tour with Geraldine as our tour guide. I'm not sure which was more interesting -the sighting of the monkeys or talking with Geraldine.

It had just stopped raining and the monkeys were keeping themselves dry so they were not much in evidence. Geraldine's husband searched for the monkeys, told Geraldine where they were and she led us to the site. Then she simply called out much as you would call a family pet. Suddenly, we were surrounded by monkeys all looking at us. There was even a mother carrying her child. We could look at them, take pictures and watch so that we did not stand directly under any of them. After a bit, we left.

Geraldine described a lot of the plant life we passed by. She knew the Latin names and knew medicinal uses of these plants. She told us how to prepare the plants for use and showed us one she would go back to harvest later on. Additionally, for modest prices, we could buy some fruits of the labors of her family. We did purchase some cashew wine that she had made and she explained how it was made. We wanted to taste some so we bought a bottle and took it back to the Lodge and served a small amount to the guests at supper time. If you go to Belize, you should try some of this unusual wine.

The trip to the Sanctuary was fascinating and provided us with an insight to some of the local customs and people that we otherwise would not have gotten. I think this relatively short trip would be exciting to both children and adults. Say hi to Geraldine and listen to what she has to say.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank oldanalyst
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Went on tour with experiencebelizetours.com & had an UNBELIZEABLE time with Allen”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We took the tour on Tuesday 8/24, we actually did three tours in one day. Alan picked us up promptly at the water ferry from San Pedro in an air conditioned van, we then got some history & sites of the city and then proceeded to Altun Ha, stopped enroute to see the Big Iguanas, he was so knowledgable when leaving Altun Ha we picked up a bottle of Cashew Wine that he had spoken about earlier. Then off to the Belize Baboon Sanctuary, where Shane was our guide, the howler monkeys and Shane are so amazing. Alan was right with us the whole time helping us along the trail. Next stop a local Belizian Lunch, which we were able to eat in the van enroute to cave tubing. Cave tubing is amazing, we went with Alan got our tubes & headlamp and off to the caves, I had badly sprained my ankle Sunday am right before we left & Alan was so great he carried my tube for me. This was one amazing tour, everything we did was great & Alan is the best tour guide I've ever been on a tour with. He dropped us off in plenty of time to catch the last ferry going back to San Pedro & we even had some time for shopping and also showed & gave us more history about the city. There were 4 of us & he scheduled it so we didn't have to be with the crowds, we actually had the cave & river to ourselves. You can ask them to do combo tours & they are so accomodating, they were the cheapest by far & I looked into several places to do the tours, their prices included all park fees & lunch. Thanks again Alan & Leah for everything, from helping me plan our own tour to do in one day & the fabulous tour & best tour guide ever.