“Altun Ha great example of Mayan ruins”
Review of Altun Ha Ruins

Altun Ha Ruins
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Private Altun Ha And Cave Tubing from Belize City
More attraction details
Owner description: This collection of temples and other buildings is one of the most well-known Mayan ruins in Belize.
Midlothian, VA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Altun Ha great example of Mayan ruins”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have had the privilege to visit all of the major ruins in the Yucatan peninsula area of Mexico and have to say that these ruins are an excellent choice to get the experience of Mayan ruins.

We visited from our Cruise ship and signed up on shore with a local tour company. Price was good ($40/each) for a City Tour and Altun Ha tour.

3 Thank Bob S

• Turkish first
Idaho Springs, CO
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Beautiful site, great for photos”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Altun Ha is a great Mayan ruin site to visit. I went to Lamanai last year and like Altun Ha better for the photography. Our guide Allen with Experience Belize Tours has a lot of knowledge of Altun Ha and he also took us on a tour of Belize City. Bring your camera and bug spray.

Modiin, Israel
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great taste of Mayan ruins”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Like some of the previous reviewers, my husband and I booked the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour through Carnival Cruiseline for our day in Belize. I feel it is important to mention that before this trip, my husband had been to several large Mayan ruins and I had never been to any at all. He thought that we might be disappointed by Altun Ha, since it is smaller and less majestic than many of the others.

That said, we had an amazing day with our tour guide, Gilbert. We started with the river ride, which was much longer than expected, and saw so much wildlife - dolphins, manatees, iguanas, monkeys, crocidiles, birds.....it really was spectacular. Others on our boat seemed pretty miserable from the rain that we had starting and stopping, but my husband and I had a great time with it and thought it actually added to the experience:)

The river ride finished at Black Orchid Resort's restaurant for a lunch break. To me, the length of this break was the biggest downside of the trip, as I'd rather eat quickly and have more time at the ruins. After lunch, we got on a bus to Altun Ha. While the ruins were not as big as others, the site was still gorgeous and really enabled me to get a taste of Mayan culture set right in the middle of a rainforest. One plus is that you can climb one of the temples - these are often roped off!

I would definitely recommend this, but am very happy I did it on an organized tour. Because of the rain, the roads heading to Altun Ha were really bad to drive on and would have been pretty hard in a regular car. Also, we got back to our cruise ship 15 minutes after the last tender time, but since it was booked through Carnival they waited for us. This makes a big difference when you go somewhere that is a bit less accessible!

2 Thank Rena L
Siberian District, Russia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Very powerful place”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Great site to visit if you are interested in history. Ruins are climbable and there are a lot of them. We had great time and it was totally worth a long and bumpy bus ride.

2 Thank Begemoth
Houston, Texas
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“Excellent Example of Mayan Ruins”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a very interesting Mayan archaeological site that is partially restored. The Belize licensed guides are very knowledgeable and provided interesting insight to the Mayan life. These ruins are small site, not nearly as large as Chichen Itza in Mexico, but well worth the exploration while in Belize. You can climb the ruins at Altun Ha for an outstanding view of the unearth portion of the site.

As previously mentioned, there is little shad at the site. We visited in mid-November and the temperature ranged into the high 80's. Because of the humidity, it was uncomfortable for several of the visitors in our group. Dress for the weather!!!

Altun Ha is about an hour from the Belize Port and the last 14 miles are on a single lane unimproved road that is very rough. Bus transportation to the site is not comfortable but the trip is worth venture.

1 Thank JamesD20