“Great - especially with the right guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Altun Ha Ruins

Altun Ha Ruins
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Private Altun Ha And Cave Tubing from Belize City
More attraction details
Owner description: This collection of temples and other buildings is one of the most well-known Mayan ruins in Belize.
Gordonvale, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great - especially with the right guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were lucky to find Wilfred, our guide, outside. He taught us about Mayan history and local biology. The boys enjoyed climbing the temples - but Wilfred made learning fun for them. We are the sort of family that like to explore on our own, but we would have missed out on a lot without our guide.

Visited November 2011

• Turkish first
lowerAlabama
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Mayan Pyramid you can CLIMB!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Altun Ha is not a large a Mayan site as Chitzen Itza nor in as unique a spot as Tulum, but it has the wonderful option that you are allowed to actually climb the main pyramid. The ruins are only partially excavated because funds are not available and interest wains when you have other, more impressive sites, but there is still a lot to see here. And because it has not been so visited, you can see what a 'rough' site looks like. They allow you to climb two of the structures, which is truly amazing. I knew I could not do the smaller one, because the steps were too high, but the taller structure has a railing, so I knew I was going to try. After all, I'm only 71. This was NOT an easy climb--mainly because I weight too much--but I was determined, and the folks in the group gave me lots of encouragement. I really only had to stop one time, so I was pretty proud of myself, but I did use that railing in a big way. Once I got to the top, I was just about ready to sacrifice myself on the altar--but of course, the Mayans only used it for animals, not humans. There certainly was a great view from the top. And it was much easier going down.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank princessLA
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent tour with cavetubing.bz”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Yesterday we had the most wonderful tour guide pick us up at the municipal airport after we arrived from a week in San Pedro. He spent the day with us and gave us the most wonderful tour to Altun Ha and area around Belize City. We had limited time and he made the most of it. He was very knowlegdable and so kind. We had two very little ones and his patience and consideration of our limitations made the day very relaxed for all of us. We loved being with him and learning all about so many things. He answered every question with enthusiasm and care. His name was Robin and he works for Vitalino Reyes owner of cavetubing.bz I would definitely use this tour company again on a trip to Belize.

Visited September 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We went on a guided tour with David from cave tubing r us. The grounds are well kept and very beautiful setting!

Visited August 2012
Detroit, Michigan
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Very nice. Had a great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

The ruins are very similar to the ones outside of cancun, but not as busy. Unlike the ruins in Mexico there was more grass, SO ALOT LESS DUST. I went with locals so the experience had a personal touch. This was an awesome and awe inspiring experience. A must see when visiting Belize!

2 Thank devaughn1972