“Breathtaking! (Literally, My Husband Proposed Here)”

Lamanai Mayan Site and New River Tour
Ranked #8 of 84 Tours in Belize District
Marco Island, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Breathtaking! (Literally, My Husband Proposed Here)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We visited in 2011 mid Caribbean cruise with Carnival. The hour bus ride and hour high-speed boat ride were 100% worth traveling to get to this wonderful oasis in the middle of nowhere. We took a private trip with our family. Our tour guide was local and absolutely amazing, I wish I remembered his name. It absolutely astounds me that more than 3/4 of the ruins haven't been excavated yet. The complex was so quiet for lack of tourists, and full of Howler monkeys. We loved how secluded it was and how respected the temples are since tourists aren't trampling over them by the thousands. The view from the top of the High Temple was breathtaking, you can see up the river for miles. Once we reached the top, as I was completely covered in sweat and exhausted (a 108' climb!) it was nice to take in the views and feel the breeze. To my surprise, my now husband picked that moment to propose to me, so Lamanai will always hold a special place in my heart. Imagine how difficult the climb back down was at that sharp angle after saying yes! We will visit again, maybe for a distant anniversary with our family, and I hope it is as pristine as it was when we visited.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank MissyV912

Guatemala City, Guatemala
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Amazing place to travel through the time! is one of the most wonerful places where i been in my entire life! Definitly i'll comeback to Belice!

Visited October 2012
Greenville, North Carolina
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Wonderful journey back into time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked through AmEx with Discovery Expeditions. Vel, our tour guide was absolutely fantastic. Be prepared for a full day. It is an hour drive to the New River, then 20 miles via boat; but worth every minute of it. Vel took us aside as we got to the ruins and explained how the Myans were descendants of Mongolians, who chased woolly mammals across the ice cap and then kept hunting further South until they settled in the fertile valleys around the Lake at Lamanai. The culture grew to many Myan communities who both traded and had war with each other. These temples were completed from 200 BC to 500 AD.

Only the most hardy should climb the temples. It is a long way up, even if it doesn't look far and the stones are uneven. But the trip back down is just pure danger! It is more like rapelling than going down steps.

Having been there, I still find it hard to imagine building these temples with the labor and tools they had. It is simply fascinating and well worth making the trip.

What happened to the Myans. You have to make the trip to learn that. It was not the answer I expected.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Really Great Mayan Site”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Came here with Seaduced Tours and had a great time. Be warned that if you're leaving from San Pedro, you'll be travling for more hours than you're actually at the site. It took 3-4 hours by boat, bus, and another boat to get to the site. It's also really hot and humid (you're in the jungle after all). The site itsel has three temples including the high temple which is the 3rd highest structure in Belize. It's a great workout climbing the sites and once you're at the top, the views are stunning. Worth the visit if you have time!

Visited August 2013
Round Rock, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great trip and guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Took this trip as an excursion off of the Princess cruise. Was not expecting the boat ride to be so fast, but it was a lot of fun.

Our guide for the day was Ken. He was very informative and was very helpful when climbing the high temple. He pretty much just ran up and down it. He was very happy to show us how to some down on our butts. Felt much safer doing that than trying to walk down.

A trip everyone needs to do.

Visited March 2013