“Fun Boat trip on the way to Lamanai!”

Lamanai Mayan Site and New River Tour
Ranked #6 of 88 Tours in Belize District
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The boat ride was a huge part of the fun of Lamanai - The guide was very knowledgeable. We were speeding along when he noticed an alligator hanging out on a log. He also pointed out the "Jesus birds" which are so nicknamed because the appear to walk on the water (they walk on lily pad leaves). The ruins were very cool - Lamanai was a thriving society for over 2000 years!!! Lamanai apparently survived the collapse of Mayan society, but not the Spanish conquest!

The site was really big! The main pyramid is huge and quite steep..... there is actually a rope on the main "staircase" to hold onto as you are walking down. There were a lot of people who were a little freaked out on the way down - so if you have issues with heights, this specific pyramid at Lamanai is not for you! There is plenty to see even if you don't climb the main pyramid. The stucco carvings are quite impressive.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I went on this tour which was booked through our hotel - Xanadu. We chose to fly in (Tower hill airstrip in Orange walk) rather than bus. Our tour provider greated us at the airstrip and it was a short ride to the New River. Before departing there were crafts available for purchase at a far better price than those offered at Lamanai. Our tour guide was very knowledgable. We stopped on the river to see many difference species of birds, a few monkeys lizards and crocs. We arrived at the mayan ruins and were given a full history. Park fees were included in our package. I chose to climb the largest of the ruins - no problem. Coming down was another issue. It took a few days for my limbs to regain there senses. On completion of touring the ruins we had a delicious lunch and it was time to return up river and our flight home. I would highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

After reading many other reviews, we decided to book this excursion through NCL, in case of any problems, we would be ensured to make it back to our ship. I'm glad i did, because after an hour bus ride, (Derek is a fantastic guide!) and beginning the trip up the river, the boat broke down. Things happen..but it delayed us for another hour. By the time you reach Lamanai, you just want to see as much as you can.

Unfortunately, the tour guide here (Wilfredo), although highly informed, spent TOO MUCH TIME talking, and not enough site visiting. He wanted to impress everyone with his first-hand knowledge of the ruins, but with limited time, we became frustrated at not being able to move on. One of the other assistants directed us to a huge pyramid, that we would not have seen had we continued to stay with the group. At this point, we decided we wanted to get our money's worth and see as much as we could. My husband is fluent in Spanish, and was told by the assistant that we will be told that any tips will be shared equally, but that is not true. If you want the boat driver, assistant, etc to be tipped, I suggest you do it individually. It's your choice, but I believe this is the case, so we tipped accordingly. these people all worked hard for us, not just the tour guide.
Lunch was adequate local fair, and nobody should expect an eleborate buffet. Another 45 minute trip back on the river (all boats had canopies. I didnt see any without) and we were able to see monkeys, birds and other wildlife. The bus trip back took another hour and 10 minutes, arriving back at the pier in time to tender back to the ship.
All in all, it was worth the difficulty getting there, but they need to review the time spent with the lecture end if this. so much time could be saved by handing out a pamphlet, and we can research the history before or after the visit to the ruins. I may never get this chance again, and am here to SEE more than we did.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We rarely buy shore excursions through our cruise line and decided to do the Lamanai trip though Island Marketing, Belize Cruise Excursions. We were disappointed in the transportation part of the trip since we came close to missing the LAST tender back to our ship. I realize that there is no way other than bus and river to get to Lamanai but we didn't leave until all other vendors had already departed the cruise terminal and thus were the last group leaving the ruins. It rained hard the last part of the river trip and our driver had to pick up gas on the way too! We had a long, wet bus ride back and traffic in Belize City is murder anyway. "Easy", our guide, kept reassuring us that we would not miss our tender and he was right but that is not the way we like to do a shore excursion.

Lamanai is incredible and we had a nice tour but getting there is NOT half the fun!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family just returned from a 5 day cruise on Royal Caribbean with a stop in Belize. We booked a tour of the Mayan ruins, Lamanai, through Island Marketing, and it was an excellent excursion.
Easy was our tour guide, and he was fantastic. My kids range in age from 7 to 17, and Easy entertained them all on the bus ride with informational and entertaining facts about Belize. The boat ride up the New River was beautiful, and the ruins--especially the view from the High Temple....breathtaking and awe-inspiring. We highly recommend Lamanai to anyone traveling to Belize. The long day was worth it and enjoyed by all!