OK, I'm rating Blackbird Caye Resort based on 2 things, Remote Island & Dive Operation.
Awesome - Fun time this past week.
Everything went smoothly from reservation to the Belize City transfer to the boat trip to Blackbird.
We were met at BZE and transferred to the Radison Hotel where we had lunch and some beers and waited on the transfer boat to take us to Blackbird Caye.
The transfer boat ( Big Bird) was nice 1.5 hour smooth ride with Soda, Beer and Water not to mention seeing the sun start to set.
We all were met by Mike and Staff on our arrive, and were pointed to the Bar / Gift Shop area where we had some appetizers while Mike gave a 20 minute orientation.
During the orientation our bags were delivered to our rooms.
3 meals a day are included and served family style in the dining room by some wonderful Blackbird employees that we would see all week long doing other things around the resort.
The food was good and the water on the island is SAFE to drink. The kitchen staff did a wonderful job and even did a barbecue for us on the Blue Hole Trip.
Rooms are nice with quality bedding and AC.
The resort has a bar, a fresh water pool/bar, and WIFI in the office.
No TV's or Phones, which is just what the doctor ordered, very relaxing.
Diving around Turneffe Atoll is wonderful. Saw my first ever Hammer Head the Pinnacle dive site.
Our package included 3 dives a day (except Friday - only 2) which totaled 17 dives for the week.
There is also a Snorkeling option with 2 trips a day and from the reports of the 5 or so people snorkeling you see plenty. Eagle Rays, Lobster, Octopus and on and on.
And Mike was able to arrange a couple afternoons fishing with a local for a few of the guest.
The week ended so quickly and I met some very interesting / friendly people that make it hard to say good by.
What is amazing to me is the people I met at Blackbird Caye Resort have shared emails, facebook and Flickr accounts. In fact one guy has set up a Group on Flickr for us all to up load photos.
This place is for everyone that wants to get away.
Mike, I know you read these, Thanks to you and your Wonderful Staff for a 10 out of 10 time last week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blackbird Caye is a privately owned Island sitting on The Mesoamerican Reef System - often referred to as the "Jewel of the Caribbean" - it is the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere with a rich tapestry of vivid corals, mangrove forests, coastal wetlands, and diverse marine wildlife. Within the reef you will find Turneffe Atoll the Caye where the resort is located. Turneffe is the largest and most biologically diverse of the 3 atolls found in the Caribbean home to more than 65 species of stony coral, 350 species of mollusk, and more than 500 species of fish, manatees, dolphins and invertebrates. There are over 70 dives sites all within 10-15 minutes from the resort and 45 minutes to Lighthouse Reef where The Great Blue Hole is located. The resort is made of 19 modern cabanas facing the Caribbean Sea and 1 beach house. The cabanas are all equipped with A/C, fans, private bathrooms, either King or Queen Beds with new comfortable bedding, private porches with chairs and swinging hammocks. Included in the price are your cabana, 3 daily meals, dive or snorkel package, complimentary transfers to the island on Wednesdays and Saturdays and use of the resort's kayaks. We are the only resort on Turneffe with an air strip making it convenient to arrive or depart any other day of the week. Our courteous and helpful staff will always make you feel at home as customer service ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Blackbird Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blackbird Caye Hotel Turneffe Islands
- Blackbird Caye Belize City