“A home away from home”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
New York City, New York
“A home away from home”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Spent 4 days at Blackbird Caye Resort and I loved it. I met a few new friends, and had a blast diving.

The whole staff was very personal and friendly. Paul the GM was very reassuring with all the questions we had. They try to take care of everything so you don’t have to worry. On our last day, we went to the bar and the bartender Ron really opened up to us. He showed us pictures of his family and his previous resort jobs. We learned so much about him and fluffy, the alligator!

Food was good but not great. I really like the breakfast and lunch menu, but the dinner menu was lacking. I was still hungry after dinner and never felt satisfied. Not sure I like the scheduling of meals, always felt like I didn’t have time to digest or was super hungry after the dives. Bar snacks were gone as soon as it was served.

Our Cabana #2 was great, except the toilet takes a long time to fill up again, but hey you’re on a self-sufficient island. The AC was a little wonky too – the room was only cold in one area and hot everywhere else. But all in all, it was clean and the maid always made the room.
On to the activities…Diving is the reason I came here and the dive crew was very chill. They make sure to get your equipment ready for you so you are worry free. Effran our divemaster was very attentive! I did two dives and then the blue hole trip. The blue hole trip is a must go. I enjoyed every minute of it. On the boat ride there we saw dolphins ; at the blue hole, we encountered a pool of sharks. During the second dive, we stopped and enjoyed a turtle feeding on coral sponge. The third dive was fun too, felt like I was inside a fish aquarium. The lunch BBQ that was included in the trip was amazing; after lunch we had the opportunity to observe the Red-footed boobies sanctuary. Back on the island, there was free fishing rods and kayaks, definitely use it!

One bummer part of the trip was that the waterproof pack (blue plastic pouch with a yellow band and a black string to tie around the neck) I brought with me to the trip was gone from my bag. If you happen to find it, please return it… it was a special gift; keep the money in there.. I just want my pack back.

Room Tip: cabana 2 was a little bit far from the main areas, I think 1, and 3 are good choices
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tchin1180

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Northbrook, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I will start by saying that we did have a wonderful, relaxing 7 days, however, this trip was not what we expected for our 7 days.

After arriving, we had to wait about two hours at the airport for others to arrive before being shuttled to the Radisson where we would wait for another hour and half. We then took a boat ride (which was expected) to the resort. Upon our arrival, we had a debriefing and this is when we started to realize that we had arrived at CAMP!

There are plenty of opportunities to go snorkeling and scuba diving throughout the day, but be sure to bring something with for when you are not in the water. And don’t plan on hitting the pool, because it was only half full when we were there.

The meal times were a whole different story. Meal times are set times (like camp!) and it was made clear that for breakfast and lunch that when the food is gone it is gone. So be sure to arrive early and get what you want the first time, otherwise you may be a little hungry until your next meal! We were happy we had brought some snacks with. The mediocre cafeteria food didn’t often fill us up.

I will say that the kitchen staff did a good job accommodating my food allergies, however, its frustrating to have to ask at every meal if each item is okay to take a bite into prior to eating. There are maybe 30 people staying at the resort at a time, I feel like they should be able to keep track of this.

Speaking of keeping track of things- be sure to keep track of your bar tab as you go! I was thankful that we had as there were some mistakes towards the end of the week and the management was happy to correct them, however, had we not kept track ourselves, I fear this would not have happened.

Camp Blackbird was fun for a short trip, however, it did get old quick. The staff was friendly, however, I would not recommend Blackbird Caye unless you intend to go diving at least twice a day every day and drink heavily at night. Stay for four days- seven was too much. Take snacks, good sunscreen, and some hella bug spray (damn doctor flies will get ya!). Schedule a massage for when you get back- the beds aren't very comfy!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Alissa D
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 12, 2013

All of the other 5 star reviews are spot on and I agree with everything they say, 100%. So instead of saying all the same things about how incredible this place is, I composed a Honeymoon Haiku to describe our time here.

Hospitality
Here, it is second to none
And, Ran is the man.

Seriously, all the of staff was incredible but Ran was the best. I would (and have) recommended this resort to anyone who would listen.

Room Tip: Cabana #5 was awesome. Great view and not far from the bar / dining room but not too close either.
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were scheduled to come in on July 27th, the night before my husband got a stomach virus causing us to change our plans multiple times. We didn't leave the 27th like planed but rescheduled our flight until the 29th, communicated that to the resort, and then changed plans again to fly in on the 28th at the last minute. I wasn't able to get anyone on the phone to make accommodations to reach the island, but we figured we would wing it.

When we arrived in Belize, a very friendly tourism employee assisted us to contact the resort. Paul was able to make arrangements to get us on a charter flight to the island. It took about 45 minutes of waiting in the tourism office and several update calls, but everything worked out great and we were to the resort by 2pm that day.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and the service was excellent. The resort sits right on the water, with the post card views. We recommend cabin #14, it is clear at the end and offers a little seclusion.

We were very happy with our experience, and a very big THANK YOU to Paul for his efforts to get us to the island for our vacation, and to make our stay wonderful. Also thank you to Efron (spell?) our dive master, he kept us entertained, but I am still waiting on my dinner. :)

It was a fantastic trip, if you have the opportunity we would definitely recommend this resort!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BlackbirdCayeResort, Director of Sales at Blackbird Caye Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
So glad all worked out and you were able to have an amazing trip at Blackbird. Thank you so kindly for your review and hope to see you back soon!
Arvada, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We went here with a groupon and we didn't know what to expect. We were impressed from the very beginning! Even the traveling to and from the island was so accommodating. The staff here immediately learns your name and is willing to help you any way they can. The GM, Paul, was so kind and genuinely cared about us. My husband and I fell in love with the ocean. We went snorkeling 10 times! We were amazed at all the animals in the ocean we saw! The food was also really good. I am a very picky eater, but I always found something I liked. We went for 7 days, and were so thankful we didn't pick the 4 day option, because 7 days barley seamed like enough. Our favorite pass time besides snorkeling, was just exploring the island on romantic walks together. If you go here, make sure you do the blue hole trip! Once in a life time experience!!!! WE LOVED THIS VACATION!!

Room Tip: We had room 5. It doesn't have a thatched roof which made the air conditioner work amazing! Whil...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your glowing review - so happy you got to snorkel with us as it is a gorgeous experience at Blackbird like no other.
Boiling Springs
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon, and it was nothing less than perfect! We were there for 7 days and honestly did not want to come home! Paul, the GM, was excellent. The bartender Ran was the best bartender you could ask for! At Blackbird there is not a chance that you won't feel relaxed. The family style dinners allow you to get to know everyone staying there at the same time, and the food was fantastic! My wife and I are not divers but talking with other couples the dives were great as well as the staff. And if the dives were anywhere near the experiences were we had snorkeling then they had to be great! The guides for snorkeling, Chris and Joe, were absolutely wonderful and take the time to show you things I would have never noticed. My wife and I purchased the romance package and if you are going on your honeymoon or romantic getaway, I highly recommend this package. First you fly in on a private charter plain which we saw beautiful scenery, we were welcomed with a bottle of champagne and fruit in our room, and then one night they give you a private dinner wherever you want on the beach or on your screen porch. My wife and I cannot thank the staff there enough for the perfect honeymoon!

Room Tip: If you want a great experience and see some cool birds and iguanas, get cabana #11! Great room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BlackbirdCayeResort, Director of Sales at Blackbird Caye Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are delighted you had the perfect honeymoon with us! Sharing such a wonderful event with us is an honor. Thank you for your terrific review!
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Took my best friend for my birthday and it was above and beyond what I expected. Service from all areas are #1. Family dining was terrific a great way to meet the few people on island with you! Snorkel guide Chris gets 10 stars for his customer service on trips. Dive staff are terrific and Ran the bartender is top notch! Gm Paul and micheal let you relax! Will be back, bring bug spray

• Stayed July 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay and we really appreciate your recognition of our staff! We always share our guests' praise with them and it is our pleasure to serve you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turneffe Island
#14 of 30 in San Pedro
Los Porticos Villas
Los Porticos Villas
#2 of 30 in Placencia

Been to Blackbird Caye Resort? Share your experiences!