“Great place, great people”

Blackbird Caye Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Our stay at Blackbird was fantastic, despite the poor weather that we had during the week. I think we had a day and a half of sun for the whole week so to come away having loved it so much speaks volumes for the resort and the people working there.

All of the people at the resort were friendly and great to be around. Emeric, Cardinal and Leo were fun out on the dives, looking after us and keeping us entertained. Emeric always made us feel safe and pointed out creatures that we would never have seen without him.

Ron kept us coming back to the bar and Aixa, Ian and Mansfield served up some delicious food with great service. JW and Annie the managers were always there when we needed them and made us feel at home. Our cabana was clean and we were very comfortable. All in all, a wonderful stay and no complaints.

Wish we were back there now...!

Room Tip: We had Cabana 8. Spacious, clean and with a deck giving great views out over the reef.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 6, 2013

My first impression as Bigbird pulled up to the docks was “I really didn’t know places like this still exist which to me makes Blackbird even more unique and special. As the boat docked we were greeted by island managers who were smiling and seemed very polite. They guided the group to the bar while our luggage was being sent to our rooms. They gave us a briefing of the island on what to expect and about the resort operations. After that Cardinal the divemaster gave an introduction, he was very informative and gave us our Dive release forms to fill out and return. The dive operations seemed very organized, our three dives a day always departed on time, if there were any changes due to the weather they would inform all the guests beforehand. The dive staff took care of all our gear and made sure everything was ready before we arrived for our dive. The dive staff besides the great diving is really something to brag about, Cardinal , Emrick, Leo, were just all so friendly , helpful, outgoing and had great communication skills. The bar and wait staff, Ranghel, ian and Aixa, were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. The food was always enough and I always felt satisfied after each meal. The desserts were great. I loved the local dishes, I recommend the resort makes local foods more often. We stayed for 7 nights and if I could have had more time I would have certainly extended my stay. Blackbird created a stress free environment for us, and gave me especially a feeling that I was home away from home...

Excellent for everything!!! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just flew back from Blackbird Caye. We spent a week at the resort and had a wonderful time. I am not a diver but my husband is. We went with a small group of friends but also met several new people who were fun and interesting. Dinners were such fun with good food and conversation, lots of laughing. The staff were so great. They really bend over backwards to make your stay the best possible. My husband fished off shore and Ron , our bartender and Leo the boat captain found him fish hooks and bait. He caught bone fish in front of the bar and snappers off the dock. You would need to bring your own fishing gear, mediium weight spinning rig, some #2 hooks and split shot and you will be set.

I spent my time in the hammock on our screened in porch reading or by the pool. Very peaceful and beautiful. They all said the diving was great and the divemasters are really attentive and very safety oriented.

J.W. And Amy are the managers, they were always accessable. The first few days they would come around to our tables for each meal and ask how everything was going. Which I thought was really thoughtful.

We would recomend the room upgrade. We were in 7 and I loved how close to the water we were and listening to the ocean lull me to sleep!

All the staff was so wonderful ,being around as much as I was, i had the pleasure of meeting the housekeepers on several days. Paula and Claudia. Such friending smiley girls. They were very hard working and take very good care of the cabins. One day I wasn't feeling well, and they asked if they could go and get me anything. Pretty impressive.

There were no keys for the rooms. We had a safe in ours, kept our valuables in there, money and passports. Never seemed to be a problem. I left an IPAD, kindle and Ipod in the room all the time, plus some jewelry. Nothing was ever disturbed.

For improvements, i would have really liked a spa or at least some one to do massages. I also would have liked more in the gift shop. The sand fleas were really annoying.

We would go back, i would take less shoes. You go barefoot most of the time.

Room Tip: Upgrade . The deluxe rooms are bigger. All have the screened porches which are very nice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just got back from a week diving holiday at the Blackbird Caye Resort last week of January 2013. This small resort is in a small island in the Turneffe Atoll. The accommodation, food, and diving were all excellent! The rooms are comfortable, and most rooms are stand alone single cabanas with a comfortable beds, nice hot showers, and your very own personal screened in porch with hammock. The ocean is feet away from your doorstep!

The food was very tasty and the staff was extremely polite and helpful. The diving operation there is top notch – Emerick and Cardinal – the two divemasters were excellent, polite, and very attentive. They were really good about keeping an eye on everybody. They also did a great job of pointing out little sea critters like nudibranchs and white spotted toad fish. The diving its self was really excellent – lots of small critters as well as sharks and rays, turtles etc. Because of its remote location, your boat will be the only dive boat at any given time at a dive site. You have to pay extra for the blue hole dive, but that and the two dives that you do afterwards at Half moon caye are just so totally worth the trip. We had reef sharks calmly swimming near us (like a few feet from us) and there were just tons of rays (I think we saw something like 10 on one dive) They also provide you with a nice barbeque lunch at half moon caye on this day. Excellent diving and excellent trip would go back for sure!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

A fantastic vacation from the moment we arrived in the city until the day we departed. Our entire trip was organized for us before we arrived, all we had to do was relax and enjoy the moments of our holiday. Blackbird Resort in itself is much like the country of Belize, simple and laid back, yet amazingly vibrant. This pristine and untouched place was exactly what I needed for my island getaway.Tropical winds, nice sunny weather, fresh air, and great people. A very special place to visit, a place where you can just simply be!

The snorkeling sites were amazing, we got a glimpse of a nurse shark, which would have went unnoticed if it wasn't for our great guide, Chris who pointed it out to us as well as the vast majority of marine life we experienced. Chris would dive under and grab conchs and bring it up to show us. He had a lot of patience and a great eye for the marine life. He is also a great captain, I recommend him to anyone doing snorkeling at the resort. The staff were absolutely incredible, and certainly something to rave about. Nighttime was always so beautiful with tons of the stars in the sky. Blackbird took my travel experiences to another level, worth every penny! I really began to appreciate beauty and the simpler things in life. Thank you all and I hope to see you all again sometime soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TwinTravelz
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I loved Blackbird Caye Resort. In fact we had such a wonderful time that we're going back again. We enjoyed the snorkeling, the staff was wonderful and the food was plentiful and delicious.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tom G
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at blackbird with our kids and it was 1 of our best vacation.i would like to say that everything in the island is so well put together that I can safely say blackbird is definetly in my top best places to stay in the whole caribbean....the food was superb the rooms were super comfy and what made our trip a sucess was the friendly staff making our unforgettable trip a reality

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Zaban

Been to Blackbird Caye Resort? Share your experiences!