Let me start by saying the local staff were wonderful, very friendly and willing to do anything they could to make your trip comfortable. The Canadian couple managing the resort was arrogant and rude to the locals who had been working at the resort longer. The lodging is comfortable but simple, some delayed maintenance but not bad. The food was not five stars but I found it to be plentiful and tasty. This is a dive resort and my review comes from the eyes of a diver but I can see how non-divers would be bored. Captain Shawn ran a tight but enjoyable dive boat, there was a roll call before and after each dive and the dive masters were excellent at pointing out and naming many interesting species on the reef. I felt comfortable and relaxed at all times, as long as I avoided the managers (the reason for 3 starts instead of 4). I took my shoes off when I arrived and left them off the whole time. I love a place where shoes are unnecessary!! There was some confusion at check out because the bar bill was not accurate, I don’t drink beer but there were a lot of beers on my tab, the manager did fix it without argument.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blackbird Caye is a privately owned Island sitting on The Mesoamerican Reef System - often referred to as the "Jewel of the Caribbean" - it is the largest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere with a rich tapestry of vivid corals, mangrove forests, coastal wetlands, and diverse marine wildlife. Within the reef you will find Turneffe Atoll the Caye where the resort is located. Turneffe is the largest and most biologically diverse of the 3 atolls found in the Caribbean home to more than 65 species of stony coral, 350 species of mollusk, and more than 500 species of fish, manatees, dolphins and invertebrates. There are over 70 dives sites all within 10-15 minutes from the resort and 45 minutes to Lighthouse Reef where The Great Blue Hole is located. The resort is made of 19 modern cabanas facing the Caribbean Sea and 1 beach house. The cabanas are all equipped with A/C, fans, private bathrooms, either King or Queen Beds with new comfortable bedding, private porches with chairs and swinging hammocks. Included in the price are your cabana, 3 daily meals, dive or snorkel package, complimentary transfers to the island on Wednesdays and Saturdays and use of the resort's kayaks. We are the only resort on Turneffe with an air strip making it convenient to arrive or depart any other day of the week. Our courteous and helpful staff will always make you feel at home as customer service ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Blackbird Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blackbird Caye Hotel Turneffe Islands
- Blackbird Caye Belize City