“Great diving, needs better managers”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
Oak Harbor, Washington
“Great diving, needs better managers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Let me start by saying the local staff were wonderful, very friendly and willing to do anything they could to make your trip comfortable. The Canadian couple managing the resort was arrogant and rude to the locals who had been working at the resort longer. The lodging is comfortable but simple, some delayed maintenance but not bad. The food was not five stars but I found it to be plentiful and tasty. This is a dive resort and my review comes from the eyes of a diver but I can see how non-divers would be bored. Captain Shawn ran a tight but enjoyable dive boat, there was a roll call before and after each dive and the dive masters were excellent at pointing out and naming many interesting species on the reef. I felt comfortable and relaxed at all times, as long as I avoided the managers (the reason for 3 starts instead of 4). I took my shoes off when I arrived and left them off the whole time. I love a place where shoes are unnecessary!! There was some confusion at check out because the bar bill was not accurate, I don’t drink beer but there were a lot of beers on my tab, the manager did fix it without argument.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Karen239
BlackbirdCayeResort, Director of Sales at Blackbird Caye Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Hello Karen,
Thank you for your review and thank you for acknowledging our great staff. Our goal is for each guest to leave relaxed and satisfied. We want to let you know that our previous island managers are no longer part of the Blackbird Caye team and that we are actively seeking for a professional couple that could run the island with proper managerial skills. A new system is being implemented on how to run the tabs so there is less confusion at check out. We are glad you enjoyed the diving and that the time was pleasurable for you. I would like to extend you a future stay discount, kindly please email our office for your coupon.
All the best,
Sincerely
Blackbird Caye Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Orlando, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

First let me start by saying I have Never had to write a poor review before and we travel a lot.

We traveled to Blackbird Caye on a Groupon deal July 7th-14th 2012. We had purchased other Groupons before and always received the same item/service we would have if we paid full price.
NOT THIS TIME.
We specifically requested trips to The Blue Hole and Night Dives PRIOR to confirming our Groupon purchase and were assured of the availability.
I was encouraged to book a week earlier than requested and offered upgrades if we came the week of July 7th – 14th. So we decided to go earlier than planned. I DID NOT ASK FOR AN UPGRADE.
The island is beautiful, as most islands, the cabana’s were adequate, clean and comfortable – 3 star at best, but were perfect for a diving get away.
We were met by Nancy and Richard – two of the most welcoming, funny, entertaining hosts/property managers we have had the pleasure to stay with- and we have traveled a lot.
We had some minor issues – no water pressure at time, so showering by drips, no air conditioner but assured each day they were working on it.
The beautiful weather and great hosts, Nancy & Richard, Boat Captain-Chris and Bartender-Ron made up for those inconveniences (for a while).
We repeatedly asked when the trip to The Blue Hole and Elbow would be and we kept getting put off. Finally a few days into our trip we were told there was not enough guests to justify going (Richard said the policy just changed to a minimum of 10 guest and he had no control over it). There were 6 total guests on the island and all wanted to go.
THIS WAS A MAJOR/HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.
Blackbird Caye knew how many reservation they had, why would they tell us The Hole was included in our plans and then cancel? Wednesday additional guests arrived and we now had 10 wanting to go, BUT STILL THEY DENIED THE TRIP. The whole purpose of traveling and diving in Belize is to go to The Blue Hole. How could they not accommodate all our requests???
Well, we eventually found out the owner of the resort, who lives in Belize did not want to pay for the gas for the trip, so therefore no trip.
Next we found out we did not have air conditioning because the owner did not want to turn on the larger generator because of the smaller number of guests.
How crazy is that? We paid for a trip will all the amenities listed, and they did not want to fulfill those because they did not book enough guests? Or because we used a Groupon – why offer the deal if they didn’t want to accommodate guests?
Next, we had to dive off the snorkel boat (no entry or exit openings) because they did not want to fuel the larger dive boats.
So we either had to do back rolls off the boat (which I hate), or had to jump in and have them throw you your gear to put on in the water – which was often choppy.
At this point I started writing polite emails to Sandra who we made reservations through to find out why we were having such poor service and how they could deny us a trip to The Hole and The Elbow without any good explanation, why we couldn’t get our air conditioner fixed and several other minor issues. We were giving them an opportunity to make things right.
At first she was encouraging and said she would work on making it right and ensuring we were 100% satisfied, but she would have to check with the owner and get back with us.
Then the icing (or should I say MUD) happened. We were told our flight off the island would pick us up Saturday at 7:30 am.
When we were making our flight reservations I checked with Sandra as we could either get a flight at 11:20 am or 2:20 pm. The flight at 11:20 am was $200 cheaper. She told us she could not get us off the island early and we had to book the later flight – so we incurred the extra $200 cost and booked the later flight – now we are told we have to leave the island at 7:30 AM??? Again, no good explanation, but she told us enjoy the extra day in Belize – I kid you not.
In the end Sandra threw in our faces that we paid a discounted price and therefore received a good deal so all was good. I told her we paid full price for diving, flying and full price for the groupon - nowhere did it say discounted/less amenities or services.
We paid over $4000 total for this trip, and the owner was not willing to do anything for our major disappointments and inconveniences.

I would tell any future travelers to BEWARE. The reviews are great and the island is beautiful – but if you are looking to book a Groupon, don’t plan on good service or promises being kept. I think most travelers put up with inconvenience because everything is so beautiful, but EVEN the Managers – Nancy and Richard had to leave due to the poor treatment and not being able to fully service guests.
There are other great islands/cayes in the area that will go to Blue Hole, drinks included and have as great reviews.
We have also shared our concerns with Groupon who is also looking into the fraudulent /false advertising.

26 Thank Kris_Christ
BlackbirdCayeResort, Director of Sales at Blackbird Caye Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced the week you stayed at Blackbird Caye Resort. We have been in business for over 20 years and have very satisfied customers that keep coming back to what they call their paradise. Unfortunately the week you stayed we were having internal trouble with the Island Managers who had recently taken over the island management but their lack of professionalism in handling guests concerns made the situation even more unacceptable. They were on their last week of employment hence causing a lot of friction between the guests and the resort. Information had been related to management but action was not taken in regards to the Blue Hole trip. Please note the Blue Hole was only included on the full island rental price and it was clearly stated on the promotion.

While on a remote island we depend on fuel to generate the electricity to make everything work and sometimes the water pressure can be affected, in this case the island manager should have reported the issues to the island owners to look for a solution so that the resort would operate up to standards.

As for the early departure off the island, check out is early like on the cruises. Due to operational logistics regarding fuel, provisions, guest’s arrivals and departure times, luggage and weight we don’t necessarily know which way guests leave the island or arrive. We do have to inform the guests to make their flight arrangements after 12:30PM in case they are picked up by boat guests are able to make their 90 minute boat ride in to the city with ample time to get on their afternoon flights. The reservationist agent does not have a way of knowing which way the guests are being transported; our goal is to ensure the guest won’t miss their flights.

The lack of communication and language barrier between the former island managers and the reservation’s office was the pivotal issue for your experience to be less than perfect. While the resort is currently closed for maintenance, upgrades and looking for a new management team we will reopen November 3rd and would like to offer you a 10% future discount when you book directly with the resort We value your feedback and accept negative reviews to improve the areas that are lacking.

Thank you for your feedback, and look forward to an opportunity to make things right for you in the future.

BLACKBIRD CAYE DIVE RESORT
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I was at Blackbird Caye Resort last week for a dive vacation. While this was not my first time to Belize (having been there four times prior), this was one of the most pleasurable. The dive staff was fantastic and provided such a great experience. They were all extremely knowledgeable about the location and the animals we encountered but most important they took the safety and well-being of their dive patrons very seriously. I have never felt safer diving. Cardinal, Emerick (dive masters) and Leo (boat captain) are the best at what they do.

The dive sites were fantastic and the coral looks very healthy. One of the healthiest reefs I have seen even in Belize.

The staff at the resort was equally incredible. The resort is well maintained, the staff was personable and did everything they could to make the experience phenomenal. A friend of mine had dietary restrictions and they went above and beyond to provide her with the very best food. Most places would have just given a vegetarian dish and not done any extra but Mansfield and the kitchen staff provided high quality meals for everyone regardless of their diets.

The cabanas were clean and spacious, and if you were not a diver there was the option of snorkeling trips and kayaks available for use to any guest of the resort.

Thank you Ian (waiter extraordinaire), Ron (Bartender), Aixa (all around treasure and fill in manager), Cardinal (Dive master and co-manager), Emerick, Leo, Mansfield and everyone behind the scenes I did not meet personally, thank you for a safe and enjoyable trip.

Room Tip: For a group of three friends, the cabana was quite spacious and comfortable. It would be more than i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Julie H
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I just completed a 7-Night Stay at Blackbird Caye Resort. This was my second trip to Blackbird and I am VERY happy that I decided to go back. I visited Blackbird in April of this year and my cousin and I decided to head to Blackbird for a dive vacation this past week (July 21st - July 28th)

We arrived in Belize City and we were met by Mr. Moreno. He was a great airport greeter and he took care of our bags for us. Mr. Moreno drove us to the Radisson where we waited until the "Big Bird" came to pick us up and take us out to the island. It was great to use this time in Belize City to hang out, relax, and explore the tourism village.

Once we jumped on the boat out to the island, our vacation began. We had the opportunity to meet other guests that were heading out to the island as well. This was great considering that the resort has a very intimate atmosphere and guests all get to eat together. We had our orientation with Rum Punch and then went to our Cabanas to settle in.

Day two through seven was spent doing the most amazing diving that anyone could ask for. We did the Blue Hole trip on Tuesday and we were treated to a fantastic BBQ on Half Moon Caye. The diving was world class. Cardinal, our dive master, was absolutely incredible. He guided us to the most incredible sites and was great with all of the guests on the island. Leo, our boat captain, also did a fantastic job with picking all of us up and getting us back to the resort for our surface intervals.

The resort has gone through some changes since my April trip, but they are all for the better. They added an Infinity Pool which was fantastic after diving. Cardinal has taken the reigns at the resort and has done an absolutely incredible job handling the diving operations and the guest relations. He responded quickly to any problem that anyone ever had. Throughout the trip, he asked guests how their trip was going and what he could do to make their trips even more enjoyable. Our last night, a few of our new friends got up at dinner and gave quick speeches about their experiences on the island and what a huge impact the resort had made on them individually.

Let me finish by saying that the resort is none like I have ever been to. I chose it for a second trip because I knew it would be good, but instead, it was the trip of a lifetime. I can't thank the staff at the resort enough for their hospitality. Cardinal was absolutely incredible, Aixa was fantastic as well, Ron the bartender became a true friend, Leo the boat captain couldn't have been any better, Ian was the best waiter any guest could ever ask for, and Sandra in Miami is as good as they come. I can't forget Mansfield, the chef, his meals were world class and James the instructor did an absolutely fantastic job as well. I know there are several other people that I am forgetting, but together they all made my second trip to Blackbird even better than my first. The friends and the memories we made on the island will be with us forever. Thanks everyone for another fantastic trip and I can't wait to head to Blackbird Caye again.

Room Tip: If they have the availability, upgrade to one of the Superior Cabanas, but no matter which cabana yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank James F
Aalsmeer, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We just returned from a week long stay at the Blackbird Caye Resort. We are both experienced travelers and really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere at the resort. My partner was a little bit scared to go snorkeling and Chris was extremely helpful about this. He did a private practice run and ensured she felt save in the water. Thought her how to breath and have fun. When we went on our first snorkel, he held her hand the whole time and showed her the awesomeness under water.
The staff at the resort is extremely helpful. I was surprised to read from earlier comments that there was an overturn of staff the week before. There was nothing in our week that indicated that indicated that people were just a week on board as resort managers. Cardinal did an excellent job at being the resort manager as well as the dive master. Aixa was very helpful with the questions we had and she always ensured I got my vegetarian food. Speaking of the food; it was very good. Nice size portions, always good tasting. Desserts were great, loved the banana cream pie. Ron made some nice drinks and the bar.
Cabana's were nice and clean - staff came every day. Beach was cleaned every day as well. All in all very good experience, highly recommendable.
There was some rain and the only downside to the week was that there was lots and lots of wind. They will close now until somewhere in October due to hurricane season and I guess we were just there at the beginning of the windy season. The snorkeling became though due to the wind and they had to cancel one dive because of the high winds.
Blue hole trip was a great experience too. Please go if you have a chance.

Room Tip: Cabana 1-4 have a thatched roof and I understood from people staying there that the a/c unit had som...
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I literally just came back from a great 4-night stay at Blackbird Caye Resort (purchased a Groupon vacation deal). I had a fantastic time there. As I've been to a number of places "off the beaten path," I was used to the resort's style and idiosyncrasies. My wife hasn't been to this type of resort before and didn't enjoy the idiosyncrasies. I would give it a 5, my wife would probably give it a 3, hence the 4 rating.

I'll keep it short and sweet:
Pros:
*EXCELLENT staff. The staff working there, from Leo (boat captain) to Ron (bartender) to all the wait, cleaning staff and the divemasters. FANTASTIC personal service. I can't imagine getting better service at a 5-star resort.
* EXCELLENT food. The buffet breakfast and lunch were always tasty and the dinners were the perfect portion. I was never hungry.
* EXCELLENT location. From snorkeling and kayaking right off shore to the close dive sites, everything was close. Even the Blue Hole wasn't unbearably far (~1.25 hour boat ride one way). Clear waters with a very healthy coral reef. The dives were awesome, especially "The Playground," which is located at Half Moon Caye.
* EXCELLENT opportunities for new connections. Since the resort is small, we all eat together, share the boats together, and drink in the bar together. Especially since the resort was almost at capacity, we had many opportunities to meet people from all over. My wife and I met two other couples, whom we bonded with very well, and can see as lifelong friends now.
* Very good facilities. My cabana (#1) had plenty of space (think of the size of a studio) with two queen beds. A/C was available 24/7. My wife enjoyed the hammock on the porch many times.

Cons:
* Contrary to what folks have said about Richard and Nancy below, I didn't find them to be very welcoming hosts. As some may write about later, Richard and Nancy actually left (resigned?) on Tuesday (7/17/2012) morning, which may have something to do with their attitude when we met them. They were saying good-byes as we left for the Blue Hole and were gone when we returned in the evening. Luckily, an interim manager took charge (Cardinal) and he did a very good job. But it's a bit disturbing if the resort manager just up and leaves.
* Water pressure wasn't always consistent. This was a big problem for my wife and she, and many others, just want to take a nice shower after being in the water. However, if everyone is taking a shower at the same time, water pressure may drop to a trickle. My wife had to collect water in a cup and pour it over her head a few times to complete her shower.

All in all, the staff and the people we met made the trip for us. I would recommend it for divers and folks who enjoy getting off the beaten path. Definitely a good value since we bought the Groupon, but don't know if I would go at full price.

Room Tip: Cabana #1 is more secluded than the others as it doesn't have another cabana one side of the bui...
3 Thank kimchicowboy
Hello James,
Thank you for your review we value the feedback! On behalf of Blackbird we apologize for the rudeness of the previous managers, we are currently looking for a new couple to manage the resort that has customer service as their number one priority. As for the water pressure issue we are currently using the down time to repair a few things that needed tending to. The damage by the salt water creates a doming effect with maintained issues. Rest assured exceeding the guest’s expectations is our #1 goal. I will be emailing you our past guest promo shortly.
Garnet Valley, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed at Blackbird Caye Resort a week in mid-June and it was a much welcomed relaxing week. We were greeted at the airport and ended up taking a small plane to Blackbird Caye instead of the boat transport. That was great because it cut the 1.5 hour boat ride down to a 15 min. transport. Very interesting to land on the small island on their very own tiny airstrip – which was not as scary as it sounds.
We stayed in No. 14, a deluxe Cabana. It was a great size and clean and modernized. All of the cabanas are close to the water and No. 14 also provided a great view with a very nice porch with the all important hammock – so relaxing.
Each meal is served at a set time in an attractive dining hall with all of the other resort guests. In our case, there were about 5 other couples during the week, which gave us the opportunity to get to know them a little, which we really enjoyed. The meals were very good all week, and only our very last dinner was less than good. Mansfeld certainly knows how to prepare scrumptious desserts. There was always something for everyone including picky eaters. At one meal they even served a special “no onions” dish for just the two of us. Ron, the bartender also serves in the dining hall and is especially sweet and attentive, like the rest of the entire staff.
The new pool is up and running and pre-dinner snacks and drinks were a nice treat served by the pool. We kept busy all week, did 18 dives, and never once felt hungry or wished we had brought our own snacks. Richard and Nancy are the managers as well as divemasters and they are very lively and interesting, fun people. They have a ton of experience, have been all over the world, and they know how to show their guests a great time.
Our first couple of dives were with Richard and Nancy – lots of fun. Richard is super safety conscious and also interested in making sure you are having a wonderful experience – it was great. The rest of our dives were mostly with Cardinal and we also found him to be very safety conscious, and super-experienced with all of the various dive sites and what we could expect to see. On each and every dive he spent a lot of time pointing out things that we would have otherwise missed. All of the dive sites are a very short boat ride away, which allowed for relaxing surface intervals back at the resort, with the exception of the Blue Hole trip, which was just a spectacular day. Some dives were just with me, my husband and Cardinal. They were very special – and we’ve not had that pleasure on other dive vacations we’ve taken.

Leo the boat captain is also a big sweetheart of a guy. We loved kidding around with Leo and Cardinal the whole week, trying to pick up bits of Kriol and making them laugh at our attempts. Emrick, another divemaster joined us the last half of the week and he was terrific as well. We heard absolutely fantastic trip reports from the snorkelers at dinner each night and they made us jealous with some of their reports, like swimming with dolphins! One guest was planning to dive or snorkel but wasn't able to do so, and they arranged for him to fish one day, which he really appreciated. There isn't much to do if you're not diving, snorkeling or kayaking, but some guests did spend certain days just relaxing or walking around the small island.

Everything about our experience felt very special and relaxing. We watched Richard certify a few new divers that week and it was fun to watch their amazement. Nancy and Richard made us laugh every day (even under water). Andre is also a nice guide and an interesting person. He certainly does his part to help with the population of lionfish – which were a delicious treat on some evenings. The warm wet towels with eucalyptus oil after some of our dives was a nice touch. We were even treated to fresh coconut water after one dive, thanks to Richard, Cardinal and Leo. We saw lots of turtles (one even lingered around us for a few seconds and let us stroke his shell), tons of green and spotted moray eels, a couple of spotted eagle rays, southern stingrays, spotted toadfish, indigo hamlet, gray, french & queen angelfish, juvenile and adult drum fish, tons of triggerfish, squirrelfish, blue tang, only a few trunkfish, filefish and barracuda, a nurseshark, a porcupine fish, a flamingo tongue, and schools of pretty blue creole wrasse on every dive. Cardinal is an expert at finding interesting underwater life and knows the fish and coral like the back of his hand. Our dive at the Blue Hole included a couple of reef sharks and giant grouper at the shallower sandy part of the dive. I have anxiety about night dives, so I don’t do them, but Nancy is a very patient guide and she actually convinced me to try it, and promised to make me comfortable and cut the dive short just with me if I wasn’t. I agreed to do it and I would have (I really would have!) were it not for an earache I had that evening. I’ve always wanted to see an Octopus which is a not a common sight during daytime dives, but during one morning dive I actually got to see an Octopus layered over a conch, trying to have his breakfast, which eagle-eye-Cardinal pointed out to us - it was awesome! Another thing I kept mentioning was that I wanted to swim with a huge school of fish, and during the last 5 minutes of the last dive of the week for us -- as if on command by Cardinal -- a gigantic school of horse eyed jacks showed up and completely surrounded us for a minute – it was amazing.

This was one of our very favorite dive vacations - we definitely had a wonderful and unique experience at Blackbird and truly hope to return again soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Waterfoot Caye
Tree Tops Guesthouse
Tree Tops Guesthouse
#6 of 32 in Caye Caulker

Been to Blackbird Caye Resort? Share your experiences!