“A magical week of fishing, diving and relaxing”
Review of Turneffe Flats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turneffe Island
Turneffe Flats
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hardin, Montana
“A magical week of fishing, diving and relaxing”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My visit to Turneffe Flats was a dream come true. I wanted to try saltwater fly fishing for the first time and also do some scuba diving, which I had done before. I was able to do both, diving most mornings, fishing most afternoons, and electing to do a few days of just diving or just fishing. The fishing skiff met the scuba boat out on the water around noon, and I stepped from the undersea world into the world of hunting bonefish on the flats. My days were thus full and invigorating, and at night I slept like a baby.
The reefs were magical, the dive masters friendly and highly competent. The fishing was a blast. I was new to saltwater fly fishing and thus had to make my way up the learning curve. My guide was patient and encouraging. He definitely led me to the fish and taught me how to catch them. By the end of the week I was able to do so on my own. The environs of the lodge itself were absolutely idyllic. I was able to cast to bonefish right in front of my cabana, which was no more than 25 feet from the water. The food was great, the staff friendly, and the whole place felt like home in no time. I very much hope to return to Turneffe Flats in the future.

Room Tip: Any of the cabanas. They probably go first. I did not see the other accommodations, but I don't...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 days at Turneffe Flats. We enjoyed everything about it. The owners, Craig and Karen, are welcoming and helpful. The staff is excellent. The food is quite good, and excellent if you take into account the location of the resort so far offshore. The accommodations are basic, but comfortable and with nice details such as newly remodeled bathrooms with local hardwood countertops and local hardwood dresser/desks in the room. We had no issue with bugs, either on the island or in the room, the former due largely due to the reasonably strong winds and the latter due to the fact we did largely keep our door shut as we know there are sand flies throughout the Caribbean. The diving was also good. The staff, both the dive manager/instructor Anna Marie and our divemaster John, have been with TF several years and are excellent. They both know a great deal about the reef and go out of their way to locate small creatures to view. On one dive, John found a sea horse, which I've never seen on 50 or so dives, other than Bonaire. The wind was great for keeping bugs away but did mean that we had to dive on the west side of the island, which is great but not as well known as the east side dive sites. Apparently, May and summer months are more conducive to east side diving so something to consider when planning. There are only two points to note which were not negative for us but something to consider when choosing this lodge. First, there is nothing to do after 8 pm or so as there is nothing but the lodge on this island. This, again, was fine with us, but worthy to note for others to consider. Second, happy hour and meals are a group setting in which everyone discusses their day so if you don't like group settings, another point to consider. We had a great time and hope to return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CMK43
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Turneffe Flats for four nights. I choose to fly fish and had a wonderful experience catching my first bonefish. My wife enjoyed Turnefee's Atoll Adventure where she snorkeled and learned to appreciate the wonderful marine life surrounding Turmeffe Atoll. We really enjoyed the cocktail hour before dinner where everyone talked about their days activities. The food and accomidations are top notch. Craig and Karen and their staff were always helpful. So, if you are looking to fish for bonefish, permit and tarpon or snorkel or scuba you will certainly enjoy Turneffe Flats.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom L
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Fantastic resort, great accommodations and friendly helpful staff. My wife and I purchased a dive package and stayed for five nights in a beach front cabana. Diving is fantastic, in fact I got my open-water certification while on this trip. I loved the limited number of guests (about 20-30), good food and service. I highly recommend this site to others.

Room Tip: Bring insect repellent, at time we experienced mosqutios and biting flies. Stay in beach front unite...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We spent a week here and the diving was spectacular, the dive staff went above and beyond our expectations. We are new divers and they really helped us improve our skills. The only thing i would want differently, is room service. After a long day of diving it would have been nice to have some down time. Happy hour started at 6:15 with h'orderves, which were always very delicious and we were usually done by 7:30-8 pm with dinner. All the guests sat at two huge tables, so we felt obligated to socialize. It was great to meet new people, but would have also been awesome to have some me time. Overall it was a great experience, I would definitely dive there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I was here for with my family and a friend for 7 nights Christmas week 2013 and we all had an incredible time. The location is perfect for fishing, diving, or just gazing at the ocean. The Garden Villa was spacious and comfortable and the food was always delicious and plentiful. The fishing guides, dive masters, and staff are among the best you could find anywhere. Top notch people all around, from ownership to kitchen porters. Hats off to Craig, "Dubs", "Jad" and John in particular. My wife got her dive certification and my son his advanced dive certification. I fly fished alone and with my daughter and we had one of the best times of our life. We fell in love with this this place and now dream of returning again someday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Fresno, California
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Spent a week at Turneffe Flats Lodge the week of Nov 2-9, 2013. This was my first trip to the Turneffe Atoll so I had no idea what to expect. We arrived at the airport in Belize City and was driven to the dock where we would catch the boat for a 90 minute ride to TFL. We were greeted at the dock by the staff, Cameron (manager), Karen Hayes (co-owner). Craig Hayes was back in South Dakota hunting pheasants. He arrived on Friday.
We were directed to the lodges dining room/ relaxation area and given our room assignments and had some dinner. You would think being on a remote island the food would be kinda OK but not so.
The staff served the whole group in a short amount of time and were there whenever you needed something. While we were doing our orientation and having dinner, our luggage was taken to our assigned rooms. A group of us stayed in the Reef Villa. Pretty spacious with three bedrooms, we each had our own bathrooms and a large sitting area, with TV and DVD player. The coffee was prepared daily by the house keepers. The rooms were cleaned daily and not a spec of sand was left of the floor.
The next morning we had a short orientation on what the fishing days was going to be like. Cameron did an excellent job going over every thing and then we went to meet our guide. They looked at our equipment, flies and then it was off to the boat and a full day of fishing.
Unfortunately we had a cold front come through while we were there. It rained a couple times, the clouds where heavy at times and the winds, well all I can say is that every place in the tropics I've to the wind always blows. On the bright side of the cold front is that it's a sign of the hurricane season ending.
Ahhh, off to the fishing grounds… Amazing no other boats or fishermen in the area. The only boats you see zooming by are the boats from the lodge and a few local sail boats which are the commercial lobster fishermen. Jumping out of the boat I was surprised to find the waters were quite warm for wading. PERFECT. We were soon into a school of tailing bone fish. First cast, SPOOKED the whole school. Soon found out that you don't want to cast to the ones tailing. There is a perimeter of bones on the outside of the tailers. Had four shots at permit, hooked two and farmed both of them.

Well, long story short, I'm in the process of losing the 5 pounds that I gained while staying at Turneffe Flats Lodge, tying smaller flies and have already booked the group trip for 2014.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 2 in St. George's Caye
St. George's Caye Resort
St. George's Caye Resort
#1 of 2 in St. George's Caye

Been to Turneffe Flats? Share your experiences!