Turneffe Flats
Turneffe Island Resort(Turneffe Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Blackbird Caye Resort(Turneffe Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
All reviewsatoll adventurefly fishingthe main lodgeother guestsdive mastertop notchblue holegreat fishingeco tourworld class fishingreef villafishing lodgeknowledgeable guidesscuba divingbelize citybone fishinfinity pool
Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you are looking for world class snorkeling, fly fishing and diving, this is the place for you! Turneffe Flats does not accommodate many guests at any one time, so they are all about personal service. The guides are top notch, and do everything to ensure that you are well taken care of.

It is not fancy-remember that you are on an atoll located 30 miles from Belize City. But the rooms are clean, pleasant and spacious. The food is delicious and plentiful. The choices are limited, so if you have any dietary issues, you'd best check with the management before booking to make sure they have available what you require.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alice M
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Our time at Turneffe Flats was amazing! We originally chose to stay here because we thought it would be a great mix of diving, fishing, snorkeling for my husband and I and our two great friends that we traveled with and T-Flats did not disappoint! The staff is equally as amazing... everyone from the front of the house staff to the dive masters, fishing and atoll adventure guides and the owners of course. The food was SO good too for every meal and the family-style dining gives you the opportunity to mingle and get to know the other guests. I loved our time here and Turneffe Flats will always be my "Happy Place". I can hardly wait to plan our next trip! Thank you Jad, Cameron, Lilly, Abel, DanRoy, PoohBear, Karen and Craig!

Room Tip: Beach Cabanas 7&8 because of the way they are angled, give you the feeling you are on your own private beach! Nice!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiaGn
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I spent last week at the resort diving, it was an enjoyable week overall. We had one of the ocean front rooms, it was clean, spacious, with an updated bathroom, and most importantly for me, it was bug-free; there was a small bug repellent machine provided (under the bathroom sink), it looked like some cheap toy but it actually worked after plugging in the wall outlet overnight, we plugged it in by the foot of the beds. It actually killed a few red ant-like bugs a couple of nights (a total of 5 of them were all the bug sighting inside the room the whole week). The staff and owners were very friendly and helpful, they really did provide service with a smile.

The lagoon out front and the beach by the pier were both scenic but not so much for swimming, with that said you could see fishes, crabs swimming by just steps from the sand in the shallow water. A side note, there was actually a crocodile swimming up to the bank by the dive shop every day in late afternoon - arond 5:30pm to be exact (we thought it was a joke when the dive staff first told us, well we walked to that area right at 5:30pm one afternoon and guess what, we saw a croc swimming around trying to come ashore, but did not do so till we noisy tourists left the area.)

The dive masters (John and Denroy) were wonderful, not only they were professional at what they did, but also had charming personalities that kept us engaged and entertained during surface intervals. It was windy the whole week and hence we could not go to some great dive sites, but we did manage to dive the Great Blue Hole which was deep and interesting and the surrounding reefs. The dive operation was quite smooth, the staff did almost everything for us - from assembling gears to changing tanks to cleaning up the gears at the end to delivering the cleaned gears back to our doorstep.

A few fishermen brought along non-fishing spouses, the resort besides diving/fishing also provided daily Adventure tours, the ladies were taken to different sites to snorkel and actually saw more sites than we divers or the fishermen did.

I would have given this resort 4.5 - 5 star rating if not for the following:
* The internet connection was no so reliable; at least 1/2 of the week it was practically down; a few moments it was normal (quick) but that came and went, totally not stable. If you expect to be OK without internet access, then this would not be an issue, and it might just work while you are there.
* The food was good, tastely prepared; however our complaints were mainly the lack of seafood or local fair served, we had lasagna, ribs, baked chicken (typically everyday American stuff)...we only had fish 2 nights, a few appetizers did have a little bit seafood in it (the conch fritters were the best but they were only appetizers). It would have been much better if they served more seafood for dinner, or local dishes, afterall the sea was just steps away.
* The shower did not always have hot water, and at times the water pressure was so low that the 'shower' was no more than just a little trickle. It seemed at certain times in the morning, the toilet did not flush so good either. We did get used to these inconveniences which did not realy ruin the overall positive experience we had at the resort.

If you are into diving or fishing, or just want to get away in an isolated island for a week, I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the ocean front rooms, the water was just steps away....
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bonnieyp1
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was the 5th time that I have visited Turneffe Flats and I keep on returning for one simple reason- T-Flats is the very best. The service, food, guides, management, staff, location and fishing are first rate. I have visited many (most) other lodges in Belize and I can assure you that T-Flats is the very best. With the addition of the Atoll Adventure, they now offer something for the entire family instead of just the divers and fisherman. Now the entire family can enjoy a week in paradise! I will be returning soon. Hope to see you there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Permit99
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was our first visit to T-flats and I don't know how I am going to go anywhere else after this! We loved the remote location and personal attention from the staff. My tween girls had a blast on the Atholl adventure and they can't wait to start scuba diving now. We combined our stay at Turneffe with an inland vacation, so my advise would be to leave enough time for T-flats if you are planning on doing it this way . We had 4 days at T-flats and it was too short. The rooms were very clean, beds were comfy and they all have a beautiful view of the ocean. Dinner is served family style and the food is so good that I had to buy the cookbook to make some of the recipes for the family back home. I can truly say that we arrived as guests and we felt like family by the time that we left. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family