“Paradise Found”
Review of Turneffe Flats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turneffe Island
Turneffe Flats
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Turneffe Island
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my second trip to Turneffe Flats and I have to say that it was better than I remember it. I had a wonderful time the first trip in July of 2000 but this trip was unrivaled in my vacation history. It is a place that inspires one to relax, get back to their natural state and relate to people around them, not in digital form but in actual conversation and physical contact.

Each staff member I encountered, from the owners to the cleaning staff, was extremely pleasant, accommodating and went out of their way to make sure I had what I wanted and needed. The bungalows on the beach were inviting, quiet, comfortable, clean and, most importantly, right on the beach! Every morsel of food was delicious and well presented. All the facilities, including the boats used for diving, were clean and well maintained.

The diving was outstanding. We had Capt. for our boat captain and Emi for our dive master. Both were outstanding at what they did and were nice, fun and professional. Really enjoyed spending the week diving with them. We did 3 dives a day including a trip to Blue Hold and the Lighthouse Atoll. With safety as a primary concern, they went out of their way to make sure that everyone in the group, from novice to expert diver, got to enjoy the trip. We saw some things that I had never seen before and that was amazing!

Overall, I had a wonderful vacation. I felt so relaxed and at peace while at Turneffe. I am sure to return just as soon as I can. Many thanks to Craig, Karen, Emi, Capt. and the rest of the staff at Turneffe Flats!

If you like to fish, snorkel, dive or just want to experience a truly beautiful place, take a trip here!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. If you are going as a larger family or group, check out reserving one of t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Geebo33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Spokane, WA
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I hesitate writing this review because we want to keep it to ourselves! But... it's such a wonderful resort, we want to share it with everyone. We are a group of 8 scuba divers with two in our group that do not dive. We picked Turneffe Flats because they offered Snorkel packages... What a wonderful package! The snorkel guide, Abel, was the most knowledgeable marine guide we have ever encountered. We all agreed that our snorkel people saw more than the divers... and the divers saw a lot! Dive guides were experienced and fun. Dive sites were all a very short ride from the resort with the exception of 'The Blue Hole' being a whole day trip to Half Moon Caye and Lighthouse Reef. The fishing guides were very professional, with more than half the guests at the resort being advanced fly fishermen. Everything in this resort was spotless.. boats, cabanas, pool, dining room (with the finest food we have ever experienced in an 'All Inclusive' resort. The staff was amazing.. it didn't matter where you were, if you passed a staff person, they smiled and asked how you were and could they help you with anything. Happy staff means good management. Cabanas were beautiful with big chairs on each deck, air conditioning, which we only used at night. There was a breeze during the day. The boat ride from Belize City to Turneffe Flats was beautiful. We were treated like royalty the entire week. When the breeze died down, we were urged to use insect repellent, which we found was very necessary... we kept our room screen and door shut and didn't have any problems. Sun is very dangerous! Bring hats and sun screen. If we could rate this resort on a one to five... we would give it a 10! To finish off a perfect week, we had a long wait for our flights. Craig & Karen, the owners, made arrangements for us to have a tour of the Mayan Ruins at AltunHa with Guide Mark..another 10 star trip. Can't say enough praise for this operation.

Room Tip: There are cabanas on the beach and two 'Villas' with three bedrooms in each Villa.. we prefe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank PatandDiSpokane
Port Chester, New York
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Turneffe Flats is known mainly for fishing. Divers come here too. Then there are those, like us, who snorkel. The Atoll Adventure package comes with Abel, a guide to the natural world both above and below the water, a calm, learned man with fascinating stories to tell, including his own. Weather permitting, there are two snorkel trips a day to varied sites, with varied depths of water (8-30') and varieties of coral, fish, plants, rays, and other living things to see with Abel's guidance. On the way, he will take you to see manatees, dolphins, crocodiles. He will discuss birds. You will see the tragedy of all the plastic garbage washing up on Turneffe Atoll. If he can't take the boat out, Abel will guide a walk around the area of TF or he will sit with you and "talk story", as they say in Hawaii. For most of our time at TF, we were the only snorkelers. It was pretty special to have Abel to ourselves.

When you are not "adventuring", the specifics of the place itself become important. The rooms are spacious, the beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are also large with double sinks and great showers. The food ranges from really good to fantastic. The lodge is a comfortable place to hang out and socialize.

TF is not a resort in the usual sense of that word. There's a nice pool, but not much else. A lot depends on the weather. If it's not good and you can't snorkel (or fish or dive) for longer than a day it would get difficult. If the wind's not blowing, you can't sit outside because of the biting flies and sand fleas.It's isolated, so you can't go into town or anywhere else. And your experience will be very dependant on the people who are there.

The owners, Craig and Karen, are as welcoming and helpful as everyone says. Your meals and evening socializing will be with your fellow guests and you have to be willing to be social. As one review mentioned, this is not the place to get away for a private romantic retreat. We were very lucky. There were 9 other guests for most of the time we were there, with 4 more coming for the last two days. While many of them were people we would not be likely to meet in our everyday lives, almost all of them were interesting, interested, and friendly, and I enjoyed our varied conversations. I even learned a lot about bone fishing, something I'd never think to learn about on my own.

You're taking a chance when you go to TF, but that's part of the adventure, and, given the reviews here, it's clearly a chance whose returns are more than worth it for most of us lucky enough to spend time there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dabbler45
Carbondale, Colorado
Reviewed January 23, 2013

First time here and I will be back again and again and again. Not only do the owners, Craig and Karen Hayes, make you feel special, the other guests add a richness that I have not found in other resorts. As the former cook for the governor of my state I can tell you that the fare served at Turneffe Flats is definitely five star. After experiencing the lodging, food, hospitality and atoll package I would rate this as a VERY reasonable, almost inexpensive, vacation package. You will be very happy if you choose this as your next vacation spot whether you are a fly fisherman, diver, love to snorkel like me or just want a time out vacation with superb food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lili M
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We visited T Flats in 2008 and went back the 2nd week of December 2012. We had so much fun. They have made some improvements since we were there last. The cabanas have all been remodeled with very nice bathrooms, the decks are double the size and the fronts have been replaces with floor to ceiling windows looking at the ocean. They also extended the deck in front of the mai lodge and added a pool, which I used most days.

My husband fished everyday. He requested Dubs, whom he had last time. He had a great trip again, and I was so glad that Abel was still there for the Atoll Advenutre program. Abel is the best snorkeling guide ever. He dives down so deep. I don't know how he holds his breath for so long. He will find something, and get your camera and dive down with it and take hald a dozen photos then come back for someone else's camera. He knows where everyone is at all times and makes sure everyone is fine. even when we had 12 people, he was very attentive and did a great job.

The staff is all very nice. We enjoyed it when one of the employees sat at our table at dinner. The food was good. We would have liked more local Belizean food and fresh fish and seafood. I can make my own lasagna at home. But on the whole everything was good. The packed lunches were good. They have several choices of sandwiches, salads and wraps. the wraps were best made with homemade tortillas. And with chicken salad was really good.

I'm sure we will be back again in a few years. we had the best time.

Tip: If you are prone to bug bites, like I am, take something with a high % of DEET I was using 25-30% and I got a lot of bites (mostly sand fleas).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MelissaAk
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We brought our whole family of four older teenagers here the week after christmas. Three scuba divers and three adventurer/snorkelers. This place sits on the edge of the world and you will be very lucky if you get to see it. The resort has such a gloriously isolated location. The scuba was great for our beginning through advanced divers. The PADI divemasters are very competent and safe. And they took great care of our gear. For the snorkeling adventurers, Abel is the greatest guide! He takes pride in this amazing place and really likes to share the unique creatures and ecosystems with us. His knowledge is deep. And the fishing seemed to completely satisfy the hard core fishermen at the resort--one made the grand slam of bonefish, permit, and tarpon all in one day. This is also a great place to just sit and relax with your Kindle. Plenty of shade under palm trees around the pool. Bugs weren't too much of a problem--there was enough breeze, but if you want to explore the edges of the jungle looking for crocs and snakes, be sure to bring bug juice. Our rooms were completely bug free and we enjoyed the air conditioning. There were a few storms with rain/wind blowing through. The rain never lasted long and we liked experiencing the intensity. I understand from Abel the dry season would be more humid, so glad we were there in rainy season. And i have to mention the absolutely wonderful food! Also they are very accommodating with special needs in the kitchen. Every day the staff provided us with three well planned meals--many with local flavor. We enjoyed them all. Our rooms were very clean, serviced daily, and I appreciated the laundry service. I say get here if you can!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden Villa which is back from the water but has a nice large living area for the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SBPNWtraveler
boson, ma
Reviewed January 6, 2013

note: i was here ~10 years ago. i stayed in a cottage listening to the waves. i came with my friend who was scuba diving. i snorkeled. dining was relaxed and fun; nice staff; remote; quiet; easy transfer (boat ride) from airport to island; very reasonable$$$

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in St. George's Caye
The Great House
The Great House
#2 of 26 in Belize City

Been to Turneffe Flats? Share your experiences!