“Itza is great, a new breed of Caribbean experience”
Review of Itza Lodge

Itza Lodge
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We just spent five days, four nights at Itza, my fourth or so time of dropping in there, and it was terrific. In the interest of full disclosure, I know the owners, and am a professional marine biologist who works frequently in Belize. The remote island thing is very hard to pull off well, so believe me, I do not go to Itza just because we're friends- I go for the spectacular diving (a vanishing experience in the tropical Atlantic due to climate change overlain on local human impacts), and I look for places where I can get my in-water work done while being inspired and relaxed by island life and amenities (which I expect to be minimal save for safety, good food and company). Itza is IT. Backed up for dive support by Huracan Dive Center (also a great outfit), Itza now has lovely, comfortable rooms (after a recent rennovation), a comfortable and friendly central lodge, and great Belizean food (I love Belizean food- simple, Central American tinged with strong Caribbean influences, hot sauce at hand at all times). Most important for me, the management is trying hard to make Itza a model ecoresort. Long Caye includes a large private mangrove reserve (ca. 240 acres, about a third of the island), littoral forest (another vanishing breed), great birdwatching especially during migration, and lots of cool little natural moments. Besides guests, Long Caye also hosts an interesting botany (ask about the ant-orchid and palms), interesting lizards, lovely snorkeling, and great diving. Crocs too, whose slides you may sometimes see in the interior of the mangroves. Itza is for the adventurer in you who wants an exciting but reasonably safe visit, and lots to think about and remember once you're home. If your trip is short, don't worry, you'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank leskaufman
There are newer reviews for Itza Lodge

Reviewed June 22, 2013

When we arrived at Itza, we were greeted by an incredibly welcoming staff. Jim and Jackson, the two owners, took time to get to know us and spend time telling stories of the island and their pasts. One of the owners, Jim, even walked us out to the end of the pier to lay out and look at the stars one. Both Jim and Jackson ate dinner with us multiple nights, and I consider them to be friends, even after knowing them for only four days. We rode bikes around the island, and dove with the Hurican diving staff, Ruth and Jerome. If you go to Itza, make sure to visit the dive shop. They have new diver lessons, which make for an incredible experience. The food was absolutely delicious. I'm a vegetarian, and their chef, Maria, was very accommodating to my dietary needs and made me separate meals each day. The location was unbelievable, a true paradise. If you're going for diving, this is the place to visit. All of our dives were located within a ten minute boat ride from the island, and it honestly was some of the best diving in the world. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Savannah K
Reviewed June 4, 2013

It must be, because there can't possibly be a better place on Earth. The location is perfect. The staff is friendly and helpful, but not intrusive, and the views are magnificent. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BobLeblaw
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Upon our arrival at this beautifully laid-out resort for a two-night stay. The friendly and informative staff provided us with a brief educational talk that made us appreciate the fact that we were there at all! Their power is solar, so no blow driers or televisions (Internet was available at the bar/dining area). Lovely rooms, just be aware there are no windows, not even on the bathroom; just curtains on that side, and louvered windows on the other. The breeze was consistent so we never missed the AC. Great balconies with wonderful views of the sea. The food and service was great, staff very friendly, I would be happy to go again and spend a longer amount of time. Thank you so much for a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: If you can request a second floor room at the end of the corridor, that is the best room in the plac...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Victoria B
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I recently traveled to Lighthouse Reef with an ecology and conservation biology class. After spending the week living at Itza, I was very impressed by the remote location of the resort. The rooms were just a short distance away from the beach and mangroves, in addition to some world-renowned snorkeling and SCUBA diving sites. Furthermore, Itza is very sustainable, using rainwater catchment, storage and use, photovoltaic generated electricity and composting toilets. The friendly staff fed us well and catered to other needs on the cay. If you have a sense of adventure and wish to explore one of the most beautiful and remote atolls in the world, Itza is the perfect base camp.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Rambo1834
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I recently took a class of 10 students to Lighthouse Reef this March and we used Itza Resort as our base camp. A wonderful time was had by all. The rooms were nice and the food at the restaurant was absolutely terrific for all three meals each day. There was easy access to sea grass beds, patch reefs, and a short surface swim to the reef crest and beyond. The mangrove forests were easily accessible via sandy trails or boardwalks. I can only recommend this place with my highest accolades! I look forward to returning very soon, especially to say hello to the extremely friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Ben P
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our visit to Itza Resort at Long Caye was our second in over a year and a half. The new management team has done extensive renovations to the rooms, and the result is a wonderful improvement. We took a group of 14 divers there for a 2-night stay in February, and wished we could've stayed longer. The management and crew were very warm, helpful and accommodating. The food and service was great. The snorkeling and diving from Long Caye is world class as it sits on Lighthouse Reef atoll with the great Blue Hole in close proximity, and other famous dive sites near Half Moon Caye and Long Caye itself. The walkways that lead you through the littoral forest of mangroves and other shorline tropical trees are enchanting. Kayaking is a must, and this location is great for kitesurfers. The views from this secluded location are stunning. If you go, you will want to return. We, at Avadon Divers, will definately be taking more diving groups out to Itza Resort at Long Caye again and again if we can.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Anne-Marie M

Been to Itza Lodge? Share your experiences!