“An amazing week!”
Review of Huracan Diving

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Long Caye
Huracan Diving
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Amazingly enough, everything good they write about Huracan Diving is true!
We took our chance and went to Belize in August, right in the middle of the hurricane season. Sure enough, two days before the trip started, a hurricane formed and the island had to be evacuated. Ruth, the owner, did a great job keeping us updated and was willing to adjust the schedule should the bad weather persist. Luckily for us, it did not.
Our stay at the Long Caye can be described as "dive-eat-sleep". A week of slow, simple life. All you have to do is drag your feet to the boat three times a day. The rest is up to you. The staff was very accommodating. CC, our cook, was willing to take special requests. The boat crew will help you with the gear if your scuba skills are a bit rusty. Jerome, the dive master, is knowledgeable and takes his time to explain what is to expect and how to behave. I was impressed how genuine and fun the people were on the island.
Diving is structured in a smart way where you start with less remarkable sights and then it gets more exciting as the week goes. Location can't be beat - very close to all good sites so we got there before the "cattle boats". Overall, a great place run by great people.
PS My only critic would be that the rental regulators that could not be adjusted. Try several and find the right one.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kosinora

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Four of us came for our annual "Big dive trip". We got a sense of Ruth's style even before we arrived. United Airlines, true to form, cancelled our flight to Belize, stranding three of us overnight in Houston. David set up a hotel for the one who got to Belize City, and tweaked the boat schedule to get all of us out to the island as quickly as possible the next day. The crew even bent the dive schedule to make up the dives we missed because of our late arrival. That's the definition of "Above and beyond", and that level of service didn't change throughout our stay.

By the way, Ruth was on holiday in Europe while we were there, so we got to see how things run when the boss is away. Everybody we saw at Huracan acted like they were the owner. They're extraordinarily good at their jobs, and they clearly take pride in doing them well.

We came for the diving, and it's really world class. One day that we did 4 dives around Half Moon Caye was the best day of diving I've ever had - that's out of 27 years of diving. It doesn't seem to matter matter what the weather is doing on the surface - if the boat can go out, the viz is great.
We dove with Jerome, who just might be the best divemaster in the world. He quickly figured out where we were skills-wise, and knew exactly how to keep us happy (and safe!) Jack and Richie handled the boat with impressive competence and total professionalism, and were endlessly helpful in getting in and out of the water. A few of us have fairly complicated camera rigs, and they handled those well, too.

Everything everyone else has said about CC is true. Her cooking is just fantastic. We had one or two "finicky eaters", and CC took it in stride. She figured out what we did and didn't like, and had no problem adjusting the menu to keep us all very well fed. From the first day, you really do feel like you're part of the family. All you have to do is ask and if it's physically possible, CC will find a way to get it for you. The whole place - public areas, guest rooms and kitchen are all kept immaculately clean.

The few negatives are the same as others have mentioned. I'm almost sure I never got bitten in the house, but the mosquitoes and sand flies rule the island outdoors. After a couple days, I got disciplined about spraying on the repellant, and that problem went away. Mid July in Belize is pretty hot and humid, and it stays that way at night. That was the only time I missed having air conditioning. Huracan is located back in the trees away from the beach, so there's not much of a breeze. There was an issue with the storage batteries while we were there, resulting in nightly intermittent power losses accompanied by the fans dying and a noisy generator starting up. I was usually so tired from diving all day that I didn't notice it too much, but I did wake up with occasional "What was that?" moments. The shower water pressure wasn't always what it should have been, but 50 miles offshore, a hot shower at all is kind of miraculous.

Bottom line, this is a truly remarkable property and Ruth has assembled a wonderful team to operate it. If you're looking for an escape from TV, phones and the whole outside world combined with the best diving you've ever seen, Huracan is tough to beat.

If we hadn't flown United, it would have been perfect.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SK_in_Mesa
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Everything the previous reviewers have said is true. Huracan is an absolutely amazing place with unforgettable people.

My husband and I stayed at Huracan in June for 6 nights. This trip was probably the most fun we've had in a long time. Ruth and her staff at Huracan were definitely the reason for it. They made us feel like we were part of their family.

We picked Huracan because of the other great reviews and pictures (it looked cute and not too rustic for a dive resort) and the proximity to the top dives sites. The two hour boat ride was a little brutal on the way out because of the swells and rain but then we were a 5-10 minute boat ride to most of the dive sites the rest of the week. The Blue Hole was the farthest away at around 20 minutes! We also liked that the dive group was small. There were only 7 of us, which kept things very manageable. I hate diving with those huge cattle boats.

Jerome, our dive master, is top notch. Very safety-minded and great at pointing stuff out to us. He also likes to sing under water, which is very entertaining. ;) This was probably some of the best diving we've done. We thought Roatan was amazing but the diving we did on this trip, especially at Half Moon Caye, blew Roatan out of the water. We saw amazing stuff on pretty much every dive, including reef sharks, eagle rays, sea turtles, tarpon, annoying barracudas that followed us around like lost puppies, as well as a close-encounter with a pod of dolphins while we were on the dive boat after one of our dives.

Captain Jack and First Mate Richie run a very professional, tight ship but they are hilarious too and have so much heart. I love those guys. They are like Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in Rush Hour. I laughed so much that week with them. Just don't listen when they tell you to watch out for the blood worms on the night dive. ;)

Speaking of hilarious people, who could forget CC, our superb cook and our nightly entertainment? CC is such a character. She had us cracking up all week. She makes the best shrimp creole! And she's a hair stylist too! She's one hard-working lady but always has a smile on her face and a joke to tell and always made sure we were well-fed after our dives.

The dive resort itself is very cool. Eco-friendly yet not too rustic. The beds were very comfortable and the showers were hot, which was great after 3 dives. No A/C but we never felt too warm at night with the fans. The communal dining room is a great place to hang out during the day on a hammock with a book and becomes the center of the action during dinner.

The only issues we had on Long Caye were the mosquitoes and no see ums or sand flies. They were horrendous. It didn't help that it was rainy season, which made them worse. I literally carried a bottle of insect repellent around with me at all times and would spray the minute I got off the dive boat. But the iguanas, geckos and land crabs more than made up for the annoyance of the bloodsuckers.

Huracan is such a special place. This is no ordinary dive resort. Ruth has done such an amazing job at creating a magical place that makes you totally forget your everyday life. And she's assembled a crew that is the coolest group of people who are proud of their beautiful country and want to show you what makes Belize such a great place.

My husband and I will never forget our trip to Belize and our stay at Huracan. Thank you Ruth, Jerome, Jack, Richie, CC, David, and the rest of the crew. You all gave us one of our best vacations ever. We will never forget you guys and hope to come back and see you again. We'll bring the tequila! ;)

Sharon and Graham

P.S. They really need to do a reality show about this place. ;)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sfla2010
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The six days my wife and I spent at Huracan for our honeymoon were some of the best days of our lives. Everything about the island and the resort exceeded all of my expectations -- the people (guests and staff), the scenery, the facilities, and most of all, the diving.

We averaged about 3 dives a day, and the diving was fantastic. Visibility was great, the coral was untouched and vibrant, and there was a nice variety of sea life -- some combination of turtles, reef sharks and eagle rays were seen on almost every dive, as well as a huge amount of reef fish and creatures. The diving was especially nice because the crew literally took care of anything -- when we got on the boat, our wetsuits had been dried, our tanks had been filled and our BCDs were set up...all of our things were always organized and ready to go. The crew would even get upset when we tried to wash/defog our own masks before the dive! We felt very pampered to the point of being spoiled, but we certainly weren’t complaining. The boat crew was topnotch -- Captain Jack and Richard work together like a well oiled machine. They have fresh watermelon and drinks for you for the ride back to shore, and they are always eager to provide some fresh humor and help. Jerome, the Divemaster, was awesome. He is a fun guy and an exciting and trustworthy leader. You feel safe with him underwater, and he is good at spotting wildlife to share. On my first dive when my mask kept fogging up, and once he saw I was frustrated he swam over and gave me his. He took us to different dive sites each time, and then towards the end of the trip he would ask us if we wanted to keep trying new spots or if we wanted to return to some of our favorites. A final positive note about the boat crew -- Jerome was very serious about not disturbing or touching any of the coral -- you can tell how much he treasures it, and that was nice to see. Also, there were two times while on our way to and from dive sites when the crew would stop to pick up manmade objects in the water -- very cool to see these guys so serious about the conservation of this pristine place. Back on shore at the Huracan lodge, they were also very eco-friendly in all aspects.

The facilities at Huracan are very cool. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the lodge was a really nice building. Our room was nice, and I loved the dining area. You could have privacy if you wanted, but it was also great to be able to socialize with the other staff and guests around meal times. The food was good, and the kitchen staff is amazing.

Even walking to the dock and back was fun, as it was filled with tropical birds and iguanas and very shy (but giant!) crabs.

Ruth leads a tight ship -- she takes her job seriously, but she’s very friendly and would always make sure that we had everything we needed and wanted.

We went at a time when yoga wasn’t really offered, but that would have been a very cool way to start the day.

Another highlight was Lupita, the massage therapist. My wife and I each got two massages out on the dock, and it was unreal. Lupita is amazing at what she does, and it was surreal getting a massage in such a beautiful and serene environment.

The Blue Hole was very neat, but our favorite diving day was spent on Half Moon. The diving there was probably the best that we had, and our surface time spent on the island was amazing. CC cooked up some good food, and then we had an hour to explore the empty island. That spot is way, way up there on my list of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen in the world. I still can’t get over the color of that water there. Plus, the red-footed boobies and the frigate birds were very cool.

Overall, I really can’t say enough about how perfect this trip was. We would go there every year if we could. A beautiful place and a wonderful crew. It was paradise! A thousand thank you’s to the staff and the sea that made it so special.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TaylorSahl
Reviewed May 6, 2012

As previous reviews have mentioned this place is amazing. I don't even know where to start. The experience all began with meeting the whole staff at the pier in Belize City. After a 1.5 hour boat trip we pull up to a long pier with a thatched roof at the end. We have arrived at Long Caye. We are told not to worry about any of our luggage and follow Ruth to the Huracan Lodge. There are four couples on this trip and we are all assigned a room and then a welcome drink of our choice. From then it is meet and greet all the staff and get to know our fellow guests. Emrick got us organized with the equipment we needed and our first dive was scheduled to start at 8:00am the next day. We started the day off with yoga on the pier with David, then a great breakfast prepared by CC and her helper Sharon. We are off diving and the rest as they is history. Amazing dives is an understatement. Emrick is the best dive master I have ever dove with. He always made sure we knew what the dive plan was, also that we had all our equipment on board, water and snacks for after the dive and so on. The boat crew consisted of Jack and Richie. Both of them were very knowledgeable about the area and helpful with getting us in and out of the boat. They are also very funny. They had the group laughing pretty hard on numerous occasions. After dives we would always return to the island for our surface interval, relaxing and food. The only day we didn't return to the island was on the blue hole dive and we did our surface interval at half moon caye. There was always time for relaxation, chatting with new friends or fishing with Jack and Richie. We were very fortunate and had a great diving group. We ended up pushing our tables all together for dinner so we could laugh even more about something Richie did that day. We hope to return to Huracan sometime in the near future. I know I am repeating myself but the staff truly make this location special. Ruth is so organized but has a very casual way, CC has a very warm soul and is a very talented chef. Emrick has a very quiet personality with so much experience and knowledge about diving. Jack and Richie are very capable boat crew with lots of humor and local spirit. David is a very talented yoga instructor with an interesting past. Nigel is the guy in the back who you don't see much but he is bringing tanks or running a BCD that someone forgot to the boat. Sharon was new this trip and I didn't see her much but I am sure she played an important role in the cooking and cleaning for us. It was also great to meet Stevie and his girlfriend. I think I have included everyone. When we departed the island the entire staff came down to see us off. Both myself and my friend had tears in our eyes when we left. Thanks to everyone at Huracan for a trip of a lifetime.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great and the mosquito's and sand fleas weren't a problem. The only time...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mountaingirl13
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Very well organized and maintained. CC is an excellent cook and Emrick, the divemaster with 12 years experience, really professional.

A big advantage is also the close location to the Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye and other diving sites which are intact.

Thanks to all. Roger Wey, Switzerland

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank airbus100
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Huracan diving is one in a million. I'll never forget arriving at the island and seeing Ruth and her team waiting on the jetty to welcome everyone. As the boat skimmed in, we couldn't have felt luckier - the island is a gem in the beautiful turquoise caribbean sea. We loved our week at Huracan - with only 6 other guests, Ruth's place is homely, relaxing and friendly. CC kept us all very happy - both with some great food and her crazy sense of humour. The dives were wonderful - we also dove at Ambergris and the coral and diversity were far superior out at lighthouse reef. Most dives are a 5-10 min boat ride away with a great mix of walls, spur and groove, sand banks and swim throughs. The bluehole was only about half an hour away - we heard the boat ride from Ambergris was quite choppy and so felt this was a big bonus as noone wants to start a big dive feeling queasy! Emric was a perfect divemaster - chilled out, yet with everyone's safety and the protection of the reef at the forefront of his mind - we were really impressed and it made our dives very relaxing and enjoyable. Captain Jack and Richard take great pride in their boat and the service they provide. Jack drives the boat experty. After the blue hole I couldn't have been happier to see Richard's big smile welcoming us back on board.

Our one worry with choosing a place so remote was 'would we see the real Belize?'. We needn't have worried - we got more of a taste of the warmth, pride and fun-loving nature of the Belizians out at Huracan than anywhere else. We have some really unique memories from our stay - from having a go at diving for conch (with which CC prepared some delicious conch ceviche), to partying at the camp fire with the whole island (maybe 20 people?) on the last night. The week just flew by. With the fun-packed dives, good food, and comfy beds, you will sleep well.

This is a place that bought big smiles to our faces and lasting memories.

Room Tip: ...oh..the bathrooms don't have doors, but even us reserved Brits can cope with that for a piece...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anon_Brit99

Been to Huracan Diving? Share your experiences!