“Natural Island Paradise”

Isla Marisol Resort
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a vacation destination that catered to snorkelers as well as divers. We also wanted the location to be as natural as possible. But, we like basic luxuries like good food, hot water, and safety. We were a little concerned by the few negative reviews of this resort years ago in Tripadvisor. After all, the island is 36 miles out to sea and has only two boats going to the mainland per week. We were worried that we could end up stuck in an unpleasant situation. After spending four days at this resort, I did not want to leave. Upon arrival at the Dangriga airport, the airport manager immediately called Mr. Willis, the resort manager, to inform him of our arrival. He picked us up within 20 minutes. Since he had to pick up supplies for the resort, he deposited us at the Pelican Hotel where we had a delicious lunch on the patio by the ocean. By the time we finished lunch, he was back to transport us to the boat launch. We were transported the 36 miles to the island resort in a modern, well maintained large ship with an enclosed cabin. We were allowed to sit on the bridge with the captain and he provided us with a narration of all the beautiful sights we saw during the 1.5 hour trip. Upon reaching the island, several staff members (and two friendly island dogs) greeted us and took our luggage. We were given a full tour of the resort facilities and brought down a foot path lined with conch shells to our house. The "Reef House" has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchenette, living/dining room, and a large deck facing the ocean. It is very private. It comes fully stocked with towels, soaps, and shampoos. There is air conditioning. The linens and towels are replaced every day. The house was very clean. There was plentiful hot water and no bugs. We were serenaded by the wind and breaking waves at night. We looked forward to three fantastic meals in the common dining hall every day. We ate side to side with the only other couple staying at the resort and staff members. The food had something freshly caught from the surrounding waters every day. It was delicious! Every day, we went on snorkeling trips with the resort guide. The snorkeling was the best we have ever seen. We also used the resort kayaks. We explored the island by foot watching iguanas and exotic birds. At night, we watched the 6 ft. resident nurse shark eat chum below the bar and laughed at the comical march of hermit crabs on the pathways. The staff was very attentive in making sure we were brought back to the mainland in plenty of time to make our flight home. In summary, a 100% positive experience. We will certainly return.

Room Tip: The Reef houses are very well appointed and very private.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Concordriver
There are newer reviews for Isla Marisol Resort

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was invited by one of the dive masters at the resort to dive for a few days as part of a lion fish research project. I've been diving in Florida for over 30 years, and have been sad to see the reefs here decline. I jumped at the chance to see healthy reefs again in Belize. The diving was first rate, and reminded me why I started diving in the first place. Seeing an undamaged reef is why I went and the resort delivered on that experience.

I booked the 3 dive/day package and went for 2 scuba dives in the morning and a snorkel in the lagoon in the afternoon. I brought all my gear, so only had to rent tanks/BC/reg for an additional $25 per day. The boat ride to the reefs was about 10 minutes, as opposed to 2 hours if you stay on the mainland. This lets you get in 3 dives per day and have some downtime on shore between dives.

The accommodations were not luxurious, but were comfortable and clean. It takes a few minutes for the water in the shower to run hot, so be patient. I took advantage of the hammock on the cabana porch between dives. The meals are served buffet style and were quite tasty. They serve fish for dinner most days, and made special meals for me because of a shellfish allergy. I especially liked the cookies at lunchtime, which I took for snacks because spending several hours a day in the water gives you quite an appetite.

I went in the winter, and the weather was overcast and windy with occasional rain. This meant the colors underwater were a bit muted, but also that nobody got sunburn or eaten alive by bugs on shore. Other advantages of going in the winter are that you don't need the AC and it's not that crowded. I think the staff outnumbered the guests during my stay, and some of the other guests went on a night dive where they each had a dive master as their dive buddy.

Getting there is an adventure. I flew into Belize City, then on a puddle jumper to Dangriga Town airport (they run hourly so if your international flight is late like mine was you won't be stranded in Dangriga), a short walk to the hotel, then a van ride from the hotel to the dock, and finally an hour boat ride out to the atoll. The boat goes only once a day, and not everyday, so I recommend having the Isla Marisol contact info on hand to let them know if your travel isn't going as planned.

The island has little on it besides the cabanas, bar, dive shop, and palm trees. If you're looking for a luxury resort experience this is not for you, but if you want a great dive experience this is the place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank jupsnorkel
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at Isla Marisol for four nights on our last trip to Belize. We will for sure be back again. This place was so beautifully designed. The island is small, and the little cabanas are right on the water. Food was amazing! Bar was SUPER fun! Best diving in my LIFE! Highly recommend this place. We really enjoyed the owner, Willis, he was a gem!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hengbrock
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I visited Isla Marisol in May and we would go back in a heart beat! We had the premier cabana right on the beach I think it was cabana 4. The cabanas were not luxurious but had everything you needed and the beds were comfortable! How can they not be when you wake up every morning looking out over a beautiful blue lagoon??? I have never been so relaxed and comfortable on a vacation. Though this is not a "resort" setting by any stretch - it was perfect. You are out on this island and are pretty much a captive audience however the staff keeps things interesting! You can walk for what seems like miles in the lagoon and never get in water above your shoulders. The water is warm and clear and clean! The food we ate here was some of the best food I have ever had! Everything fresh and made from scratch - the women in the kitchen are genious! My husband went fishing every morning and caught fish that we would ate every day! All different kinds of fish and fruit and all very tastey! We did have some issues with hot water in our cabana but found some little tricks that helped.
This was a place where you could get up in the morning - go have breakfast with group (who ever else is at the resort) then swim or snorkel or scuba or kayak or play volley ball or fish off shore. There are snorkeling, suba and fishing boats that go out EVERY day SEVERAL times a day. So there is always something to do. OR you can sit in the hammock on your porch watching the waves or swim or soak up some sun in your beach from lounge chair. There is NO need for fancy clothes (basiclly a swim suit, a couple pair of shorts and a couple of shirts is all you need to pack) or make up or blow dryers. Lunch and dinner are also served the same times every day and you again eat as a group. If someone has not made it back from an excursion in time for meals the girls in the kitchen were great about saving food for them so they could eat when they got back. Or you could just pick a coconut and have that...
There were 2 dogs on the island when we were there and they were fun to watch. The staff was TOP NOTCH! Got to know a few of them pretty well - it was easy when they share meals with you in the dining room and drinks with you at the bar at night - or you are out on a boat with then fishing, snorkeling, or scubaing together for hours! Very helpful and friendly and accomodating! I envy them their jobs - this would be my dream job!! If I could convince my husband - I would move to Belize!
I actually came down with a nasal or upper respiratory infection while I was there (NOTE - there are no near by doctors or hospitals) and one of the staff who fished with my husband every day actually picked me up some antibiotics while he was on the main land. My main objective while there was to go Scuba diving but being as sick as I was I did not dare. Thanks to the antibiotics I was feeling better and I WAS able to scuba on our last day on the island! It was absolutely beautiful - one of the best experiences of my life!
Everything was included in our package - except rental of the scuba equipment and our drinks at the bar. I thought it was a great deal - I found mine through bloomspot and many of the others we were there with also had bought package deals.
Might not be a great vacation for kids - because there is not alot of "kid" stuff to do - but if you want to get your kids away from all the stuff that they are subjected to these days (TV, cell phones, video games...) this is a great place to GET BACK TO NATURE!
I highly recommend Isla Marisol!! Everyone should go there once!

Room Tip: try to get a cabana right up on the lagoon. honesly don't think there is a bad cabana here...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pam S
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We wanted to go out to Glover's and read bad reviews about Glover's Atoll Resort, and though Marisol was more than twice the price, we thought it would save us some heartache if we just paid through the nose to begin with. Not the case.

The reef there is beautiful, but can be explored while staying elsewhere. Mainland trips would be a much better idea and hundreds of dollars less. Bugs are terrible here. Everyone had hundreds of bites. Not sure if it was all sand fleas and flies or bed bugs. We counted 78 just on one back after one night.

Scuba gear is in scarry condition and you should absolutely bring your own regulator and never consider a Blue Hole or any deep trip with their gear. Regulators breathe funny and gages bounce all over the place. Depth gages vary from person to person so unless you have your own gear, you won't really know your true depth.

It is extremely difficult to get straight answers regarding prices and costs for trips or packages. They like to play the "oh yes, this is the price, I think" game and then it turns out double. We talked to other people there who were having the same problem. You are quoted less than what they will in the end try to charge you. Everyone gets quoted different prices, so you may pay more for a snorkel than your neighbor. Dives/snorkel trips may have 30+ people on them, and they don't get broken down so all levels will be together from divemasters to discover scubas. If there isn't space for you or gear available, you still have to pay for the dive if you have a package booked. They allow people from other resorts to snorkel/dive for less and this crowds the trips and changes the experience. We didn't even get 11 dives on a 3 dive a day package for a week.
If you do a dive class, they will try to charge you for the dives as well, so you could end up paying 700 rather than the 350 they tell you it costs. If you go to the Blue hole to dive/snorkel, they charge $250 extra and only take you on 2 dives that day. If you have purchased a package, you have paid 60 per dive already, so when you do the math, the blue hole costs $430. This is the highest price in Belize. Other companies charge $240 and provide 3 dives not just the 2. If other snorkelers/divers choose to go to the hole and you stay back, you may miss your oportunity for daily events but will still have to pay for them.

Food is wonderful, so you won't go hungry.

Cabins are run down and ours had roaches even though it had no fridge or cooking area.

Airconditioning is only available a few hours a night, and only after they are done using the generator for other things and you ask them to switch it on. The airconditioning cuts off every night at 4 in the morning (when they cut the generator) so by 530 you are hot and need to get up to open windows. The high price of acommodations is not worth the extra you would pay here verse Island Expeditions or any of the other resorts which are less expensive. If you insist on going, don't book a package, just get there and choose activites day to day, but don't say you weren't warned.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank M M
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family just spent New Year's at Isla Marisol Resort and had a very enjoyable visit. Despite some windy days we were able to snorkel every day in the calm, warm waters of the lagoon. We saw stingrays, crabs, sea fans, hard corals, many colorful fish and even a nurse shark while out on the boat snorkels. The resort itself is the only game on a small island but there's still lots to do. I kayaked around the mangroves while my son tried out the paddle board. One day there was an excursion to the Blue Hole and it was fun to snorkel around the rim. Food is not exciting but very tasty, especially with the local sauces by Maria Strong. There are two large beach houses on stilts with two bedrooms and 10 or so cabanas with 1 bedroom. Ours were 3 &4, right on the water. Boats transfers from Dangriga take about 1.5 hours and the staff can arrange the flight to Dangriga from Belize City. We had a great time and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: cabanas 3 and 4 are right on the water. Beach house 1 has a twin room and a double room; beach house...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank traveling_sun
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My family booked both of the reef houses for the 6 of us. We had more then enough room as each was big enough to hold a family. The island only had one other couple staying there as guests so we pretty much had the run of the place.

Lets set some expectations... This is a resort 36 miles off the coast of a country who's population is smaller than most major cities and air conditioning can be a rarity on the mainland. Salt water is very good at causing breakdowns and they are very far from replacement parts. Things will break and the excellent staff will do their best to fix it quickly assuming they have the parts and are made aware of the problem. If you miss a night of AC, just enjoy the ocean breeze and relax.

Eddie (the owner) has built this place from the ground up over the past 10 years. The island is powered by a mix of Solar, Wind, and a generator which is only run a few hours each day to power the ACs. This island is the only one on the Atoll that has a desalination plant (fresh water all the time) or AC. Some of the other resorts can literally run out of water during your stay.

The diving was great, but the cooking was better! During my week on the mainland I ate at a lot of very good restaurants, including one at one of Belize's best resorts, but the food on Isla Marisol was better. The off season for tours is also the on season for Lobsters. Our last night there, Eddie went out and got us a lobster about the size of a small dog. This was the best lobster I have ever had!

Room Tip: Book reef house #2 - it is the newer and better of the two.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
#11 of 27 in Placencia
Yok Ha Resort
Yok Ha Resort
#1 of 1 in Waterfoot Caye

Been to Isla Marisol Resort? Share your experiences!