My wife and I were looking for a vacation destination that catered to snorkelers as well as divers. We also wanted the location to be as natural as possible. But, we like basic luxuries like good food, hot water, and safety. We were a little concerned by the few negative reviews of this resort years ago in Tripadvisor. After all, the island is 36 miles out to sea and has only two boats going to the mainland per week. We were worried that we could end up stuck in an unpleasant situation. After spending four days at this resort, I did not want to leave. Upon arrival at the Dangriga airport, the airport manager immediately called Mr. Willis, the resort manager, to inform him of our arrival. He picked us up within 20 minutes. Since he had to pick up supplies for the resort, he deposited us at the Pelican Hotel where we had a delicious lunch on the patio by the ocean. By the time we finished lunch, he was back to transport us to the boat launch. We were transported the 36 miles to the island resort in a modern, well maintained large ship with an enclosed cabin. We were allowed to sit on the bridge with the captain and he provided us with a narration of all the beautiful sights we saw during the 1.5 hour trip. Upon reaching the island, several staff members (and two friendly island dogs) greeted us and took our luggage. We were given a full tour of the resort facilities and brought down a foot path lined with conch shells to our house. The "Reef House" has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchenette, living/dining room, and a large deck facing the ocean. It is very private. It comes fully stocked with towels, soaps, and shampoos. There is air conditioning. The linens and towels are replaced every day. The house was very clean. There was plentiful hot water and no bugs. We were serenaded by the wind and breaking waves at night. We looked forward to three fantastic meals in the common dining hall every day. We ate side to side with the only other couple staying at the resort and staff members. The food had something freshly caught from the surrounding waters every day. It was delicious! Every day, we went on snorkeling trips with the resort guide. The snorkeling was the best we have ever seen. We also used the resort kayaks. We explored the island by foot watching iguanas and exotic birds. At night, we watched the 6 ft. resident nurse shark eat chum below the bar and laughed at the comical march of hermit crabs on the pathways. The staff was very attentive in making sure we were brought back to the mainland in plenty of time to make our flight home. In summary, a 100% positive experience. We will certainly return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Isla Marisol Resort lies on a pristine, secluded palm-studded island on Glover's Reef Atoll (a UN World Heritage site) in Belize. Of the five inhabited island on Glover's Reef, Isla Marisol is the only one offering private en-suite bathrooms, fresh water showers, hot and cold water, air conditioning, and daily housekeeping service. Isla Marisol Resort also offers frosty cold libations at our infamous "over the water" bar and phenomenal Belizean style food in our dining room. Incredible watersports are just a stone's throw from the resort, with most diving and snorkeling sites just 5-15 minutes from the island. All ages and experience welcome! Anglers can hit the "grand-slam" from their front porch, with World class fly fishing for tarpon, permit, and bonefish, quite literally at our door step. Daily deep sea fishing trips for Wahoo, Kingfish, Marlin, and a host of other fun fish, depart from Isla Marisol daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Isla Marisol Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Isla Marisol Hotel Glovers Reef Atoll
- Isla Marisol Dangriga
- Isla Marisol Resort Belize/Glovers Reef Atoll