We wanted to go out to Glover's and read bad reviews about Glover's Atoll Resort, and though Marisol was more than twice the price, we thought it would save us some heartache if we just paid through the nose to begin with. Not the case.
The reef there is beautiful, but can be explored while staying elsewhere. Mainland trips would be a much better idea and hundreds of dollars less. Bugs are terrible here. Everyone had hundreds of bites. Not sure if it was all sand fleas and flies or bed bugs. We counted 78 just on one back after one night.
Scuba gear is in scarry condition and you should absolutely bring your own regulator and never consider a Blue Hole or any deep trip with their gear. Regulators breathe funny and gages bounce all over the place. Depth gages vary from person to person so unless you have your own gear, you won't really know your true depth.
It is extremely difficult to get straight answers regarding prices and costs for trips or packages. They like to play the "oh yes, this is the price, I think" game and then it turns out double. We talked to other people there who were having the same problem. You are quoted less than what they will in the end try to charge you. Everyone gets quoted different prices, so you may pay more for a snorkel than your neighbor. Dives/snorkel trips may have 30+ people on them, and they don't get broken down so all levels will be together from divemasters to discover scubas. If there isn't space for you or gear available, you still have to pay for the dive if you have a package booked. They allow people from other resorts to snorkel/dive for less and this crowds the trips and changes the experience. We didn't even get 11 dives on a 3 dive a day package for a week.
If you do a dive class, they will try to charge you for the dives as well, so you could end up paying 700 rather than the 350 they tell you it costs. If you go to the Blue hole to dive/snorkel, they charge $250 extra and only take you on 2 dives that day. If you have purchased a package, you have paid 60 per dive already, so when you do the math, the blue hole costs $430. This is the highest price in Belize. Other companies charge $240 and provide 3 dives not just the 2. If other snorkelers/divers choose to go to the hole and you stay back, you may miss your oportunity for daily events but will still have to pay for them.
Food is wonderful, so you won't go hungry.
Cabins are run down and ours had roaches even though it had no fridge or cooking area.
Airconditioning is only available a few hours a night, and only after they are done using the generator for other things and you ask them to switch it on. The airconditioning cuts off every night at 4 in the morning (when they cut the generator) so by 530 you are hot and need to get up to open windows. The high price of acommodations is not worth the extra you would pay here verse Island Expeditions or any of the other resorts which are less expensive. If you insist on going, don't book a package, just get there and choose activites day to day, but don't say you weren't warned.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Isla Marisol Resort lies on a pristine, secluded palm-studded island on Glover's Reef Atoll (a UN World Heritage site) in Belize. Of the five inhabited island on Glover's Reef, Isla Marisol is the only one offering private en-suite bathrooms, fresh water showers, hot and cold water, air conditioning, and daily housekeeping service. Isla Marisol Resort also offers frosty cold libations at our infamous "over the water" bar and phenomenal Belizean style food in our dining room. Incredible watersports are just a stone's throw from the resort, with most diving and snorkeling sites just 5-15 minutes from the island. All ages and experience welcome! Anglers can hit the "grand-slam" from their front porch, with World class fly fishing for tarpon, permit, and bonefish, quite literally at our door step. Daily deep sea fishing trips for Wahoo, Kingfish, Marlin, and a host of other fun fish, depart from Isla Marisol daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Isla Marisol Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Isla Marisol Hotel Glovers Reef Atoll
- Isla Marisol Dangriga
- Isla Marisol Resort Belize/Glovers Reef Atoll