We just returned from a week at Isla Marisol in October, and can hardly wait to go back! This eco friendly resort (wind and solar powered) lies 39 miles off the coast from Dangriga, Belize. it sits on Glover's Reef Atoll, so if you're into snorkeling or diving, you are literally 5 minutes from your dive sites. We snorkeled the first day, but then got the urge to try diving. Man, are we glad we did! Eddie Usher, the owner of Isla Marisol, is a PADI certified Dive Instructor, and the 4 of us essentially had private instruction. Eddie was an excellent teacher, and made us feel challenged, accomplished, and extremely safe. We also had the chance to dive with Mora, who is an excellent Divemaster. Nearly every dive had amazing visibility- we had a near brush with Hurricane Rina, and that was the only day you couldn't see forever under the water. Thank you so much for opening the world of scuba to us. It was life changing.
We stayed in cabana 4, which is ocean front. The water was literally inches from our porch, which made for beautiful views from the deck, the hammock, and even from the bedroom. The cabins are rustic and simple- they remind me a lot of summer camp. They are very clean, and the beds are some of the most comfortable that we've had while traveling. There are private baths with hot water, and a small dressing area. You have electric lights and fans all day, and air conditioning in the evenings and overnight for comfortable sleeping. In the beginning of our stay, we had an issue with no hot water, but that was swiftly taken care of. You may need to let it run a little while to get hot, but once it does, you have plenty. If you can request cabana 4 or 5- they are closest to the water.
There have been many comments about the food, and I'll second that- it is WONDERFUL. The ladies in the kitchen work hard to make healthy, great tasting meals, and we liked nearly everything they served. There is a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, rice, fresh breads, and fresh seafood or chicken. And they always had a dessert for those of us with a sweet tooth. Keep in mind though, that desserts in this part of the world aren't as sweet as what we're used to in the USA. But again, everything was great, and there was always plenty. We did take along with us some snacks, and hubby brought a bottle of tequila. :) Also, having your own mug for coffee and drinks comes in pretty handy.
You are free to walk the beach, kayak, explore the island, along with the one next door, and just in general relax (when you aren't diving or snorkeling!) The area is unspoiled, the fish and conch are abundant, and the people are sweet and hard working. There were 15 guests on the island when we were there, and a big part of the fun was having meals with everyone, diving with them, and hanging out in the bar. We were all from different parts of the country, and we enjoyed getting to know everyone.
All in all, BEST TRIP EVER. Can't wait to return. Thank you, thank you Eddie, Mora, Seth, Phillipa, Alex, and the rest of the wonderful staff! Isla Marisol is beautiful beyond words, but it is YOU that makes it paradise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Isla Marisol Resort lies on a pristine, secluded palm-studded island on Glover's Reef Atoll (a UN World Heritage site) in Belize. Of the five inhabited island on Glover's Reef, Isla Marisol is the only one offering private en-suite bathrooms, fresh water showers, hot and cold water, air conditioning, and daily housekeeping service. Isla Marisol Resort also offers frosty cold libations at our infamous "over the water" bar and phenomenal Belizean style food in our dining room. Incredible watersports are just a stone's throw from the resort, with most diving and snorkeling sites just 5-15 minutes from the island. All ages and experience welcome! Anglers can hit the "grand-slam" from their front porch, with World class fly fishing for tarpon, permit, and bonefish, quite literally at our door step. Daily deep sea fishing trips for Wahoo, Kingfish, Marlin, and a host of other fun fish, depart from Isla Marisol daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Isla Marisol Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Isla Marisol Hotel Glovers Reef Atoll
- Isla Marisol Dangriga
- Isla Marisol Resort Belize/Glovers Reef Atoll