“Go with the Slow”
other travelers have booked this property
View of private (non-shared) pool from second floor deck. One of the largest pools on the island.
View from the second floor deck. Facing towards the entrance of Villa Gemma.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
View from the second floor deck.
Facing towards the entrance of Villa Gemma.
Villa Gemma and second floor deck from the pool.
Ground floor living area (sleeps two on fold-out futon couch).
Breakfast bar and kitchen.
Breakfast bar looking into kitchen with full-size appliances.
Plenty of glasses, dishes, cutlery and more.
Prep your meals overlooking the lush gardens.
Microwave, blender, toaster and coffee maker - everything you need.
Dining area seats up to six.
Lots of windows and light.
French doors to the ground floor gardens.
Cool ceramic tiles throughout.
Plenty of hot water on demand.
Second floor open concept bedroom features a queen size bed with brand new mattress.
Plenty of windows and light!
Fold out futon sleeps two more on the second floor.
French doors lead out to the second floor deck and exterior stairs.
View to the garden from second floor french doors.
Second floor deck with hammocks overlooking the pool.
View of the pool from second floor deck.
Plenty of privacy and one of the largest pools on the island.
Facing north.
Watch the flowers bloom and native birds play as you lounge pool-side.
Facing north.
Bring your pool toys!
Facing the front gates.
Large deck with plenty of seating.
Second floor deck.
Facing south.
Entrance to the garden.
Outside to the sandy road.
Garden of Villa Gemma.
Pathway to the house.
View from second floor.
Entrance from the road.
Welcome to Villa Gemma!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

AmyKane
Stuart, Florida
“Go with the Slow”
Reviewed April 15, 2014 for a stay in March 2014
people found this review helpful

Villa Gemma. The upper deck puts you – in hammocks, rum drinks in hand – at eye level with tropical birds. You are drinking Travellers Classic Gold Rum, fruit juice (papaya, pineapple) and coconut water that was purchased at a sandy-floored grocery store in town, after a morning swim at The Cut at the northern end of the island, and transported in a bike basket over potholed dirt roads back to the hardwood kitchen countertop and perfect-sized fridge. That upper deck is shady in the afternoon and faces east to the ocean and its trade winds, beyond the trees, a few streets away. You can hear the single-engine arrival of a Tropic Air Cessna Caravan at the small airport just to your south. Children in uniforms are biking past, returning to school after a long lunch at home. You have eaten an omelet with fresh eggs, black beans and rice for lunch. Plus a dash of homemade hot sauce purchased on Day One at that little restaurant next to the beachfront cemetery. You and your traveling companion (perhaps you too have been married for a quarter-century like we have) just swam in the sparkling pool that is the perfect temperature and mysteriously leaf free. (Kim, the Canadian owner/manager from Caye Caulker Rentals, probably stopped by while you were gone). The warm air feels good on your pool-cooled skin. "I'm in a hammock, drinking rum, listening to the call of white-winged doves, and not shoveling snow." This is one of the small perfect moments you are here for.

There are inconveniences. It can be hot. You don't flush anything down the toilet, including toilet paper (there's a basket – save your plastic bags to line it). You buy water to drink (and to make ice cubes), after the first complimentary 5 gallons. You must lock up when you are away and at night. A couple of nights we were wakened several times by little screaming lizards chasing each other around in the thatched ceiling. No dishwasher, no TV, no problem. No AC (plenty of fans) but it feels good, eventually, to adapt to the climate. And even to be able to hear the strange night noises. You sleep under mosquito nets, if necessary (it wasn't while we were there).There is wifi; sometimes it's slow.

Read all about Belize, Caye Caulker, and the villa itself before you go. I did, and this five-star rating is based on my expectations (and the price) rather than a magazine-type rating of "five star" accommodations. Great information and advice (and excellent service) is available at www.cayecaulkerrentals.com and, when you are on the island, from Kim and Amie.

This is an island for the people who live here... and for respectful, curious, do-it-yourself, go-with-the-flow independent travelers who are not searching for a resort or all-inclusive type experience. We stayed at Villa Gemma for 7 nights in early March (when the pool was brand new). It was in the mid- to upper 80s and mostly sunny every day. Loud, windy thunderstorm with light rain one night. Cloudy the day we left.

If we visit again (I hope we do!), we might stay at Villa Gemma, or at another rental if we travel with more family or friends – and we would definitely rent from Caye Caulker Rentals.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
BC, Canada

A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
Management Response
May 5, 2013
Hello Kristin,
Thank you for your review. In regards to wif, Villa Gemma does not feature it and after reviewing our correspondence, I could not find where we might have mistakenly alluded to wifi being available. With regards to heat, we always favor the side of caution with security being primary over ventilation. I do understand that the house can get a bit uncomfortable from time to time, especially on those days when there is no wind. Victor (not Vincent) has been advised by me to accentuate security as we have had some issues with that house. Since we strengthened our advisory on closing up, we have had no incidents.

I am happy you had a good time and will speak to the owner next week regarding more portable floor fans to help push some air around. I do appreciate your comments and hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards, Kim
Lantz'ns
Reviewed March 17, 2013 for a stay in January 2013

A romantic getaway Older travelers
WA
Reviewed March 3, 2013 for a stay in February 2013

A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing