“Wish I had stayed somewhere else”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Costa Maya Beach Cabanas
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Tennessee
“Wish I had stayed somewhere else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

Although the staff was very friendly, the accommodations left much to be desired. I did not go into this trip with big expectations for our lodging. We were going for the location, not the hotel. However, I was sorely disappointed in Costa Maya. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting. We stayed three nights and the shower didn’t drain. On the second night, my husband took a plunger to the shower drain and that helped, but still…As a female traveler, I can put up with a lot, but I would never recommend Costa Maya. The complementary canoes and bikes were a great asset, but everything had to be returned by 6, and the bikes were mediocre at best. We were going for budget prices, but I wish I would have splurged a bit and stayed at a nicer place. Trust me, it’s worth it to spend a little more and get a whole lot more bang for your buck.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TennesseeGrace
CMBCCayeCaulker, manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, August 18, 2009
I only meet the guest once, at check in.
Cabana six is the oldest unit and is under renovations. There is no water system on Caye Caulker, we depend on well water, that sometimes smell like sulphur.
Had the guest showed their displeasure with the room, a full refund would of been offered as per owner policy.
Regarding the Snorkeling Tour
Seasickness can ruin a trip. We highly recommend seasick tablets and have them onboard the boat. We did not charge the guest, as we received the booking from the hotel, they stayed at.
We left later than usual because of all the people booking last minute, but we make up the time on the end of the tour. There is over 15 snorkeling shops on the Caye and all sent trips out. The guest was the only complain we receive out of 500 plus people sent out snorkeling this summer. We are very sorry that guest did not enjoy the trip due to seasickness.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

After reading a handful of negative reviews on here I admittedly was a bit hesitant about staying at costa maya. My partner and I had made the reservations months in advance without really reading anything negative and as the date approached I became doubtful. Im very pleased to say that all my doubts were at once dispelled!

We stayed in Cabana number 5 with a fantastic view of the ocean. Heather and Adela (sp?) were more than helpful and very available for us. they took an active interest in our stay asking us about the trip whenever we ran into them and making recommendations for everything from food to good places to canoe. We booked two trips one snorkel and one jungle and greatly enjoyed them. Our guides were extremely knowledgeable and very pleasant.

The room was clean and comfortable and had an available a/c (which we never turned on) clean kitchenette and a great balcony. I would gladly stay here again. The canoes were great and very handy and the dock and hammocks a big plus!

It hard not to enjoy yourself on Caye Caulker and Im glad to say that our stay with Costa Maya made the trip that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Slilights
Flagstaff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

Our room was little more than a plywood shack with a coat of polyurethane on it and the people at the desk acted like we were a burden and didn't show even the least amount of hospitatlity. Upside is the location is good, but that's not saying much on Caye Caulker - all the locations are good. If you stay here, expect fairly spartan accomodations and unfriendly people behind the desk.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
CMBCCayeCaulker, manager at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas, responded to this review, August 3, 2009
Costa Maya has 9 cabanas in total
There is two buildings at the back, upstairs and downstairs. Which host a total of four individual cabanas. The exterior is wood siding and the interior is decorative wood paneling that is varnished. Each unit has it's own entrance.
They are painted white with blue trim
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

I paid the $70 deposit in November for an ocean view room #5 (confirmed it a number of times over email) and showed up in January to enjoy my time on Caye Caulker. On check-in, the receptionist told me that the ocean view room was not available and that I would have to settle for one of the rooms in the back. When I argued that I had made the reservation over two months in advance, the receptionist shrugged her shoulders and said that she could do nothing and that Heather makes the decisions there. I asked the receptionist to talk to Heather who took the deposit from me for the ocean view room. The receptionist called Heather, but she would neither talk to me over the phone nor come to the property to talk to me.

The disappointment started there. They showed me the "alternate" room. The room was a dungeon - poorly lit and moldy. The room smelled like an airport bathroom. The toilet / bathroom and the bedroom were separated by a cloth curtain (which would have been fine if the bathroom had decent exhaust, which it did not).
The kitchenette was not what they say it is. It was a toaster and a pair of plastic bowls and glasses on a table next to the bathroom faucet. The glasses looked so bad that I would never touch them.

My wife and I scooted out of this dump and looked for alternate accommodation. The only thing going for this place is location. However, the island is so small and you can walk along the beach and get to the center from anywhere in 5 minutes. I would recommend staying south of the water taxi dock.

Over the years, I have stayed on islands in youth hostels and five star hotels and so have been exposed to a variety of options. This was by far the worst I have ever seen. As they say, you get what you pay for, but this place does not even come close. I would not pay USD20/night to stay here.

I talked to a few other businesses on the island and they said that the Costa Maya Cabana people have know to be cheats and that their business practices have been hurting the reputation of the island.

In summary, I would give this place a negative 2 if possible!!

If I recommended this place to my friends, they would think that I was taking revenge on them for some reason,

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank openwaters
Guest checked in one day prior to original reservation request. Guest was advised in advance that cabana #5 was not available and we could accommodate them in Cabana #7 for one night only. When guest check in, they didn't recall until we show them the email. The room they where offered was cabana #7. The rooms have hurricane shutters, so it can appear dark when the shutters are closed.
Cabana #7 does not have kitchen, only coffee station. We do not advertise that it has kitchen.
Guest only pay if they stay.
Surrey, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

Arriving on Caye Caulker Island I was welcomed by friendly locals at the Costa Maya Beach Cabanas. Shortly after arriving I did some snorkeling and was setup with a nice fishing trip. My room had AC, was nice and cool, fresh coffee when I need it and clean. Rented a digital underwater camera from them and used the free WiFi to upload my photos to friends and family back home. Planning on going back this Dec-Jan. The staff are friendly, hospitable and very helpful. A+! Recommending Costa Maya with two thumbs up.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

I ended up travelling to Belize by myself due to a family emergency, and my family couldn't make it, neverless, I made a new family and friends at Costa Maya Beach Cabanas. The girls in the office were more than accomodating and "went above and beyond" normal customer service in the hotel/tour industry. I have travelled to many places around the world, from high class, to third world countries, and have the seen good/bad/and ugly in people/places, and believe me, Caye Caulker, is one of the most favourite places in my heart, and I have visited many, many times, always staying at Costa Maya, because of the service/cleaniness/location, it's a "must experience" in my opinion, and I highly recommend, they will open their hearts to you, help you with all and/or information, and provide awesome tours at great prices. Can't wait to go back again, and see my friends and family once again...................

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank cruisinlulu
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2009

Unfortunately, my fiance and I had a horrible experience here. The location is great and the bicycles were a treat, but that's it. Our room was dirty. There is mold growing off the faucet in the bathroom and tiny bugs crawling in the kitchen. The toilet made noise and often broke. One day they "forgot" to clean our room. We considered changing after the first night because we felt that for $65/night we could stay somewhere else that was clean, but it stomed the second night of our trip and we decided to stick it out. Bad choice. When we spoke with the manager about the cleanliness issues and toilet he yelled at us about waking him up -- it was 9am and we needed to check out and get receipt. I have never been treated so poorly and had such bad value.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty rooms and rude staff
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
These guest stayed in Cabana #6, which is being renovated right now.
Because it has a kitchen, even a grain of sugar can attract of army of sugar ants in the Tropics.
The island is on well water, which is very harsh on plumbing.
We offered a discount to the guests.