“Very professional, I was impressed”

Frenchie's Diving Services
More attraction details
Owner description: Passionate about diving, dedicated to sharing what we love. That's why we dive 7 days a week, all year, and that's how we've built our business on reputation. With more than 70 years combined experience, our captains, instructors and divemasters create a safe environment in which you can explore our Caribbean wilderness.And our signature is small groups . . . We are PADI Certified and also a DAN World Business Member.Dive sites are Hol Chan, Blue Hole, Turneffe North, Spanish Bay, Turneffe Elbow, Coral Canyons.We also do Overnight Camping trips. 6 dives - all inclusive
Columbia, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Very professional, I was impressed”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I went with Frenchies for my Blue Hole dive because that's who most of the locals recommended. I did hear about their accident that occurred earlier in the season with a lady getting decompression sickness, but from what everyone said, it was an isolated incident. At any rare, if they had sub-par practices before, this must have motivated them to be extra cautious. I was really impressed with the level of professionalism. I dove with a few shops in the area, and this was the only one that had me assemble and check my equipment instead of just doing it for me. It had been a while since I had done so, so one of the dive masters walked me through the process as a refresher and I felt confident in my equipment and their safety procedures before even getting on the boat. The briefing they gave us was also extremely thorough and they were very explicit with their safety instructions regarding accending, etc. I had a great day of diving at three really interesting sites, plus an island stop of for lunch at a bird sanctuary. I was really impressed with my personal experience with Frenchies.

Broome, Australia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Terrible experience lead to hospitalisation!”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Unfortunately we were involved in a diving day trip (8/11/13) which ended in a lady having to spend the night and 15 hours in a hyperbaric chamber on San Pedro due to poor professionalism from our dive leader, Carlos! This lady was a only recently OW certified and this was her deepest dive (24m) at Turneffe North. The briefing was and equipment were ok by he most part but Carlos seemed off and dismissive of things from the start. Early in the dive this lady was showing distress and he tried to calm her as we descended, but then quickly returned to showing fish and leaving her alone. She panicked and ascended and he let her go and continued to lead the group. Unfortunately none of us really saw her ascend or how much panick she was in. In the end we were called back to the boat by the captain to find her cowering on the boat and in need of hospitalisation! Luckily she is ok from all reports (we checked with the dive centre this morning). There were 7divers to 1 guide and he just let the panicked diver ascend alone.
Don't get me wrong, the other staff and the facilities at Frenchies were great, and frenchiess and Dominick were very professional when we returned to the dive centre.
Hopefully they learn from this horrible experience which could have ended much worse!

3 Thank JPescape
Fort Worth, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

These guys took my wife and I out on very short notice. Just the 2 of us. They were very accomodating. It was my wife's first open-water dive since she got certified in May of this year. So they took us to a shallow dive (30') first to let her get her fins wet. Then we went around the reef on a great dive through some coral canyons. They took their time with us and let us work our own equipment, but double-checking it, of course. Good company and good people.

Leuven, Belgium
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Northern Turneff Atoll trip”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were on Caye Caulker during low season (end of October), so that some dive shops were closed, and other (smaller) ones only offered dive trips to the 'touristy' Hol chan marine reserve, shark ray alley and esmeralda. Frenchies were the only one offering a full day dive to the magnificent Turneffe site. Although we passed a storm on our way to Turneffe, diving conditions were splendid (as predicted), we saw a lot of nice underwater action (two types of turtles, octopuses (daylight), triggerfish among many other). We were a group of 8, 7 divers and 1 snorkler, and 3 guides, excellent. Lunch was great too (Marie's Hot Sauce!) At the end, we had some payment problems with our visa card (a real problem on Caye Caulker, as it only has one bank which closes at 3 p.m.), but Frenchies proved to be very flexible here as well. Thanks guys!

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good dive shop - speaking as a PADI Instructor”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Friendly staff, decent equipment and reasonably priced compared to other shops on the island.

Although the Blue Hole itself is a bit disappointing, the other two dives were well lead and good for marine life. The guides were conscientious and fairly attentive to the less experienced divers, but could have been better. The briefings were good, but could have been a little more thorough for my liking.

On the whole a good, safe dive shop.

Visited October 2013