“Tree Tops Is The Best of Caye Caulker”

Tree Tops Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Tree Tops Is The Best of Caye Caulker”
Reviewed August 19, 2006

My wife found the Tree Tops Guesthouse on Caye Caulker, Belize through an Internet search while making travel plans, hoping that it would be place we would enjoy. After we arrived, we were delighted with everything about Tree Tops. The guesthouse is immaculate and well appointed. The location was exceptional, providing quick access to the restaurants and shops of Front Street, while maintaining a feeling of solitude when we wanted a little “quiet time.” As we walked and biked every street on Caye Caulker, we didn’t see one other guesthouse that looked more inviting than Tree Tops. Our hostess and host, Doris and Terry, provided spot on accurate information on restaurants and tour guides and added greatly to the enjoyment of our four-day stay and exploration of the island. Would we return to Tree Tops? We absolutely hope so!

-- A Couple from Cincinnati, Ohio

• Liked — Convenience and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Tips/Secrets — Get into the slow pace of Caye Caulker as quickly as possible!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank OutdoorDude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Arizona
Reviewed August 15, 2006

Tree Tops is now one of our favorite hotels in the world (and for two world travelers, that's saying a lot!). You can't find any place more luxurious, or meet any couple more amazing than Doris and Terry, who, in addition to having hearts of gold, have some truly incredible stories. We can't recommend Tree Tops highly enough!

Tree Tops was our honeymoon suite, and it simply couldn't have been more like paradise. Not only were the rooms gorgeous and eco-friendly--everything was selected with such attention to beauty and detail--but Doris and Terry went out of their way to make sure that we were taken care of. Imagine coming back from your wedding (expecting to see the tornado of a room that you left!) and finding instead everything clean, sparkling, with a gorgeous congratulatory gift basket on the nightstand! INCREDIBLE!

Doris and Terry, how can we ever thank you! You will always be one of the best parts of our wedding memories!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank lotusheart
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Treetops was absolutely phenomenal, Terry and Doris were nothing but over helpful and the accomodation was pure heaven. We stayed in the Sunrise suite which was immaculate, beautiful and secluded. The prices were truly reasonable and Doris bent over backwards to help us with every query we had. I would recommend Treetops to anyone who wanted a beautiful, friendly and 100% safe place to stay. We had travelled for a while and the welcome we had at Treetops truly made the holiday. We will be returning.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 7, 2006

Planning to Visit Caulker Island, here are my recommendations:

I would like to highly recommend the Tree Tops Guesthouse, a charming hotel located on Caulker Island. The Tree Top has beautiful ocean views, and a nice garden setting to sit and relax with friends or just read a book. I found the rooms to be quite affordable for the accommodations provided. The room I stayed in came with an A/C (a must have!), hot shower, refrigerator, satellite television, and comfortable beds. Doris, the owner of the Tree Top, begins your first day with a map and overview of all services on the island. She provided great recommendations on everything from restaurants, bars, snorkeling, shopping, and laundry services. The one and only time I did not follow her recommendation, I came to regret it. Of course, I did not stay at any other hotel, so I can’t make any comparisons, but I can say that I greatly enjoyed staying at this hotel. I will return to stay here. Also, read the positive write up in the Lonely Planet, Belize.

If you plan on doing any snorkeling, do Carlos Tours. Great price for all you get—snorkeling equipment, boat ride to the snorkeling sites, fresh fruit and water, lunch at San Pedro (must buy your own lunch), and he even takes pictures of you swimming/snorkeling with the nurse sharks, manta rays, and other sea life. No one else does the photos. He has a passion for what he does. The sea life even swim toward him because they all know him. Ask Carlos to visit his nurse shark girlfriend who swims to him when she sees him. You may even stumble upon the gentle giants, the manatees, as we did. Definitely a “spiritual experience”.

Want affordable food, and delicious—visit Syd’s--Great food, great prices, and great service. You have to visit Habaneros, pricey, but well worth it. Big portions too.

Email me if you have any questions at: Atty2001@msn.com

1 Thank Attysd
Ft. Myers
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Just got home from my 13 night stay at Tree Tops and wanted to share the good news with other potenial travlers. Doris and Terry were excellent hosts: Doris helped me with places to go on the island and Terry helped with where to go and what to do off island in Belize. And when my plans changed and I needed to stay with them longer than anticipated, Doris took care of me. More than anything, being a single woman - first time in Belize- I always felt safe. I really appreciated the always locked door leading into the guest rooms area. I never worried about cash or valubles being left in the room. Heidy and Felicia kept the rooms impecibly clean and even hung my bed clothes up everyday - a nice touch. The little Terriers with their noses pressed under the rail was always a welcome site when going into the office. I was able to have a phone in my room for receiving calls or dialing out at a modest charge. The courtyard is beautiful with the birds coming in for a drink in the fountain and humming birds feedind on the Ixora flowers. The sea breeze kept me nice and cool each night. Will I come back here again ? You betta Belize it !

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank joe884
Gadsden, Alabama
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Tree Tops Guesthouse is very charming! We stayed in both, the sunrise and sunset suites, and we were extremely pleased. Terry and Dorris are very helpful and hospitable; we felt right at home there. The rooms are even nicer than they appear in the pictures on-line, and they are kept very clean. Also, we felt perfectly confident in leaving our valuables behind in the room while we were out and about. Tree Tops is a great place to relax! It is very quiet and peacful. We will deffinitely stay there on our future vistis to Caye Caulker!

Keep in mind this is a guesthouse, and not a hotel. This is what makes it so charming and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank akgoble
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 12, 2006

If you're looking for laid-back, hotel style atmosphere - this isn't the place. You're treated like a child needing instruction on how to live at their house. I realize tourists can be pretty dirty and disrespectful of property and they're attempting to tightly control their 'home' environment - but these proprietors go a bit too far. Waking you up very early each day to clean your room (and it is impeccably kept clean) - honeymooner'scan forget it, and if you like the night-life, too, don't stay out late - I am a clean and neat person but I don't worry that my toothpaste and toothbrush are in the proper place, or that my hairspray is sitting on the sink, or my shoes are not in a closet....my personal items were "put away" for me as well as my clothes and towels were moved from near an air conditioning spot (to dry faster) to hanging up bunched together behind a door (leaving them damp). I felt like a guest who overstayed their welcome. If I don't want room service - I DON'T WANT ROOM SERVICE. But again.....it's the 'tree tops GUESTHOUSE' - and not 'tree tops hotel'.... I didn't feel comfortable there and ended up going to another place - so I'm glad I booked it only for a few days - but I was there in the off season and specifically for diving for 10 days - so we had many options of where to stay. In high season, forget changing lodging. If you can stand their 'rules' - the rooms (and property) ARE very clean, smell good and with amenities (tv, a/c, fridge, good hot water that doesn't smelll, clock-radio) you won't get at other places, and the price is a bargain considering all that. However, when I'm vacation - I want to sleep-in, stay out late, leave my things out and have dry towels the next day. I also don't want to be charged for every little thing, even a local phone call. Their yappy dog was a minus, too. I probably wouldn't stay there again. By the way, the places they are so helpful to recommend are their associates - they all like to make money and depend on each other in their 'clique' to bring in business. I found the places they recommended weren't all that great or friendly (and were european white - i'm white but i enjoy diverse locals and their customs, lifestyles, etc). THE DIVING WAS OUTSTANDING!!! Paradise Down is the best. And that made the tree tops stay just a tiny negative experience because everything else was perfect.

• Stayed October 2005
#21 of 53 in San Pedro
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
#2 of 19 in Placencia

Been to Tree Tops Guesthouse? Share your experiences!