“I love Tree Tops ! Safe & Quiet & Clean”

and 1 more site!
Tree Tops Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Ft. Myers
“I love Tree Tops ! Safe & Quiet & Clean”
Reviewed June 6, 2006

Just got home from my 13 night stay at Tree Tops and wanted to share the good news with other potenial travlers. Doris and Terry were excellent hosts: Doris helped me with places to go on the island and Terry helped with where to go and what to do off island in Belize. And when my plans changed and I needed to stay with them longer than anticipated, Doris took care of me. More than anything, being a single woman - first time in Belize- I always felt safe. I really appreciated the always locked door leading into the guest rooms area. I never worried about cash or valubles being left in the room. Heidy and Felicia kept the rooms impecibly clean and even hung my bed clothes up everyday - a nice touch. The little Terriers with their noses pressed under the rail was always a welcome site when going into the office. I was able to have a phone in my room for receiving calls or dialing out at a modest charge. The courtyard is beautiful with the birds coming in for a drink in the fountain and humming birds feedind on the Ixora flowers. The sea breeze kept me nice and cool each night. Will I come back here again ? You betta Belize it !

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank joe884

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Gadsden, Alabama
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Tree Tops Guesthouse is very charming! We stayed in both, the sunrise and sunset suites, and we were extremely pleased. Terry and Dorris are very helpful and hospitable; we felt right at home there. The rooms are even nicer than they appear in the pictures on-line, and they are kept very clean. Also, we felt perfectly confident in leaving our valuables behind in the room while we were out and about. Tree Tops is a great place to relax! It is very quiet and peacful. We will deffinitely stay there on our future vistis to Caye Caulker!

Keep in mind this is a guesthouse, and not a hotel. This is what makes it so charming and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank akgoble
Reviewed May 12, 2006

If you're looking for laid-back, hotel style atmosphere - this isn't the place. You're treated like a child needing instruction on how to live at their house. I realize tourists can be pretty dirty and disrespectful of property and they're attempting to tightly control their 'home' environment - but these proprietors go a bit too far. Waking you up very early each day to clean your room (and it is impeccably kept clean) - honeymooner'scan forget it, and if you like the night-life, too, don't stay out late - I am a clean and neat person but I don't worry that my toothpaste and toothbrush are in the proper place, or that my hairspray is sitting on the sink, or my shoes are not in a closet....my personal items were "put away" for me as well as my clothes and towels were moved from near an air conditioning spot (to dry faster) to hanging up bunched together behind a door (leaving them damp). I felt like a guest who overstayed their welcome. If I don't want room service - I DON'T WANT ROOM SERVICE. But again.....it's the 'tree tops GUESTHOUSE' - and not 'tree tops hotel'.... I didn't feel comfortable there and ended up going to another place - so I'm glad I booked it only for a few days - but I was there in the off season and specifically for diving for 10 days - so we had many options of where to stay. In high season, forget changing lodging. If you can stand their 'rules' - the rooms (and property) ARE very clean, smell good and with amenities (tv, a/c, fridge, good hot water that doesn't smelll, clock-radio) you won't get at other places, and the price is a bargain considering all that. However, when I'm vacation - I want to sleep-in, stay out late, leave my things out and have dry towels the next day. I also don't want to be charged for every little thing, even a local phone call. Their yappy dog was a minus, too. I probably wouldn't stay there again. By the way, the places they are so helpful to recommend are their associates - they all like to make money and depend on each other in their 'clique' to bring in business. I found the places they recommended weren't all that great or friendly (and were european white - i'm white but i enjoy diverse locals and their customs, lifestyles, etc). THE DIVING WAS OUTSTANDING!!! Paradise Down is the best. And that made the tree tops stay just a tiny negative experience because everything else was perfect.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 13, 2006

We visited Caye Caulker and Tree Tops in late 2004. We stayed at 3 other hotels on Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye, as well as 2 resorts on the mainland. I have to say the Tree Tops was our favorite. The rooms were impeccably clean and very nicely decorated...white and airy and felt just right for the island. The hostess/owner was opinionated, but honestly she gave the best advice of anyone on the islands. She has lived there for years with her husband, and she knew what she was talking about! We did a lot of diving on the trip, and her reccomendations were always spot on. She was a bit straight forward in her manor, but she was very very nice.

We had zero problem with dogs and slept very well on comfortable beds. The price was also great for the island, and keep in mind that it was difficult to get a room here...other people seemed to know it was a great place too.

Honestly, having either checked out or stayed at many of the available hotels on the island, I am very suprised that someone would give this place 2 stars. This is a remote island...don't expect the Waldorf, but be prepared to be pleasantly suprised.

P.S. People who give reviews on this site should explain what they DO like i.e "Our family loves to stay at Marriotts, or "we like thatch roof cabannas" or "we expect our drinks to be served promptly at 5:00PM" or "Hostels are great...only had 6 to a room this time" etc. Background helps...and would explain why some people think a hotel is a hell hole and others think its a rustic hideaway!

Stayed May 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed January 15, 2006

Just got back from an extended vacation - we spent three nights at Tree Tops. The posts here that decribe the owners are all accurate. While they are knowledgable about the island and will spend time with guests marking out all the hot spots on a map, I had some issues with our stay:

- They charge for EVERY LITTLE THING. Want to use Internet? They charge for it (and more than the excellent Internet Cafe/Bar in town). If a hotel is going to offer Internet, they should just comp it - they have to pay for it for their own connection anyway.
- Doris charged us fify-five cents for a phone call (to call a cab for our departure). Seemed petty.
- Refused to reserve our flight for us because we wanted to pay at the ticket counter (we got a 20% discount for paying cash at the counter). Our previous Belizian hotel had no problem doing that (and they were also Mayan Air agents).
- I love dogs. But their stupid little yapping dogs kept us awake.
- If you don't stay upstairs, you can't use the roof, which looked very nice, but since we stayed downstairs we weren't allowed up there.
- Every time our room was clean, our things were moved around. They did things like close our toiletry bags and suitcases, even when stuff was halfway hanging out. I really don't like hotel staff rooting around in my personal items.
- There are no beach/water ameneties that many other hotels provide - no dock, no beach chairs (the beach is not much to speak of anyway, but chairs would have been nice).

There was another review that said the hotel is a 2 minute walk from the center of the island. It's a ten minute walk to town.

The rooms are spotless. But if I were to go back to Caye Caulker, I wouldn't stay at Tree Tops again.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank Sheri C
Reviewed November 29, 2005

Yes the rooms are spotlessly clean right down to the concertina pleated hand towels! And yes the rooms are well appointed with tv and a/c and bar fridge all for a very reasonable price but be prepared to be awakened at 8.30am for a non negotiable room clean! We tried to say that a room clean wouldn't be necessary only to be told that "Miss Doris Said". we're not unfeasibly late risers but this affected and diminished the enjoyment of our stay at treetops. If on the Island again we would search around for other accomodation...

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2005

This bad review of tree tops has nothing to do with the quality of the rooms, for the simple reason that the owners unilaterally cancelled my reservation and didn't let me stay there.

The problem started with a bona fide disagreement about a change in reservation--I tried to change my reservation from three days to two days two weeks in advance and was told over the phone I had called in time to avoid a penalty. But I delayed in sending a requested email confirmation, so they told me via email they intended to charge me the penalty. I objected to this (politely) via email and that was our last communication before I showed up on the day of my reservation.

I walk into the office and say, I've got a reservation for tonight. The owner replies, not anymore you don't. He just cancelled my entire reservation, without so much as a warning! No matter who was right in the original dispute, this was in my opinion totally uncalled for.

Again, I know nothing about the hotel itself, but I can certainly testify to the difficulty of doing business with the proprietors.

• Stayed July 2005
#12 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Caribbean Villas Hotel
Caribbean Villas Hotel
#21 of 54 in San Pedro

Been to Tree Tops Guesthouse? Share your experiences!