“Complaints”

and 1 more site!
Tree Tops Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Well, the stay at Tree tops was not what we thought it was going to be. First of all when i asked for wi-fi she said its not free but i will give it to you, while others got free wi-fi. Also the wi-fi is turned off at 7:00pm. I also didn't like the fact that we paid enough for a room and we didn't get accomidations like water, coffee or a simple bike. We didn't have any problem with the room. It was a quaint little room with offers of a safe box for passports etc.. and a nice little sink with no hot water. Another thing that could have been fixed is the two door handles, one in the bathroom that was fixed by just putting a slide lock in, and the other handle was located at the front door of the downstairs room. Although the dogs kept us up most of the night we enjoyed how friendly they were. My mothers friend own a B&B and has free wi-fi and water.

Room Tip: If you were to stay here (not reccomended) don't stay downstairs, take the suite upstairs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jared R
TTGH_DOC, Owner at Tree Tops Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

On Tree Tops Guesthouse website it lists everything you will get when booking a room. Some of the higher priced rooms have the extra Wi-Fi a balcony & a rooftop included.
Our WIFI is on 24 hours. Our office closes at 7.00PM; however this does not affect the Wi-Fi service. At time of booking you are also advised that we do provide a coffee maker on request. To my knowledge there was no request for this service made.
As to the lock in the bathroom: After having had the very disturbing incident where we had to break the door of the bathroom open in the middle of the night to help a "guest" out of the bathroom we made the decision to just add a slide lock. This is far easier to force open in case of an other emergency. As to dogs barking: It would have been nice and clearer also to mention that the barking you heard was not from our dogs. Yes we did have a 1 night very bad barking spell from next doors neighbour's yard. I did apologised to every guest I saw the next morning and made sure that this would not reoccur. None of the complaints were made to us in person, we might have been able to rectify or explain your queries.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights. Tree Tops is set back from the ocean behind a vacant property filled with palm trees. Very quiet, spotlessly clean rooms and the owner, Doris, is very helpful. The roof top deck or the shady courtyard is perfect on a hot day. Bike rentals, beach towels and a coffee pot also available upon request. Away from the noise of town but only a very short walk to restaurants.

Room Tip: Sunrise room is the best, no real view of the ocean because of the palm trees but the private deck i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ljlp55
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I loved my stay at Tree Tops. Doris is the welcoming and heart-felt owed of a lovely guesthouse off the main street where I found sanctuary from the noise of New Year's Eve festivities. I was happy to participate, then return to the quiet of my beautiful and comfortable room. I enjoyed the serenity of Doris' lovely courtyard with a fountain and hammocks surrounded by a garden of trees and flowers. If I ever have the opportunity to return to Cay Caulker, I will certainly stay at Tree Tops.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter and her husband recommended Tree Tops. They had a very good experience and also had a very nice suite. I stayed two nights. My room was clean, airy and light. The bed was comfortable. Room was quiet with some exceptions. The air conditioner worked well with little noise. Cable TV was good - not fancy, but sufficient. WiFi was included which was nice. The courtyard was nice for relaxing. Doris was quite helpful about where to go in Caye Caulker. What I didn't care for was: no hot water in the sink, early (9:30 a.m.) checkout, hot water in the shower had to be fixed, no blanket (although I didn't have to have one, but it's nice to have one). I had to be responsible for "flicking the handle" on the toilet if it "ran" (why it wasn't repaired, I don't know). Also, the next door neighbor played his music quite loud and a party nearby was very loud until the wee hours. Doris said this is unusual. I was glad I brought ear plugs. Doris, the owner, was a bit abrupt and did charge for small things, like filling my water bottle. My checkout was at 9:30. I went to town to have breakfast, and when I returned at 9:00, I noticed the water had been turned off from the sink and the shower. I didn't ask Doris about this, but I thought it strange to turn it off before I was checked out. Since my flight wasn't until 1:30 p.m. that day, I asked Doris if I could rent one of the bikes. After a hesitancy, she agreed. I wouldn't stay there again, but overall a clean place to stay. I didn't check pricing of other places, so I don't know how competitive Tree Tops is.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MollyMcB1999
TTGH_DOC, Owner at Tree Tops Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Sorry to hear that your stay at Tree Tops was not what you had expected. Thank you for your kind words in regards to the clean & airy room, comfortable bed, the free WiFi and Doris being helpful on where to go on the island.
Our Water refill is a service we only started for the benifit of the island, the enviroment and in turn this is giving our guests a 50% savings, eliminating the cost of having to buy a new bottle "By encouraging our guest to recyle their plastic bottels". Cost: US $ 0.50cent per Liter bottle

Blankets are avilable when needed. Like you quite rightly pointed out you did not needed a blanked. Unfortunately during your two day stay at Tree Tops Guesthouse the neighbors bitrthday party was a little loud.

Since we knew that everyone had gone for Breakfast we took the opportunity to do the small plumming repairs that needed to be done, one of which was the hot water handle on the shower in the room you had. This was the only reason why the water had been turned off. Had we had known that a guest had returned from Breakfast we would have stopped with the maintenance and continued at a later stage.

Past experiences have warrent the house rule to rent bikes only to guest still staying at Tree Tops Guesthouse. I broke this rule by renting you a bike.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Tree Tops is a lovely, quiet guesthouse in Caye Caulker. Doris, the owner, is charming and very helpful. She gave us perfect advice for our short stay in paradise. Our room was spotless and comfortable. There is a beautiful rooftop patio with hammocks and a fabulous view. The tranquil courtyard is a great place to relax - if you have any free time - there is lots to do on this tiny island. Upon our arrival, Doris made excellent recommendations for tours, restaurants and shops. I liked that the guesthouse was just a few steps out of the fray, but everything on the island that you need is within easy walking distance. Oh - and a little bonus - 4 of the cutest and most well-behaved Jack Russels I've ever met!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Toronto_CanadaJen
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I discovered Treetops, by chance, and was happily surprised by the quality of the place. Traveling solo, on a budget, the economy room I was offered on the ground floor was spacious, clean, and very tastefully furnished. The kingsize bed was wonderfully comfortable and the ceiling fan kept the room at a perfect temperature.
Doris, who owns Treetops, has gone to great lengths to create beautiful, quality accommodations and has paid great attention to detail to make the rooms aesthetically pleasing and comfortable. Real tile is used in the showers and for the flooring of the rooms. The grounds are meticulously well-kept. She obviously takes artistic pride in maintaining her place at a high standard. Treetops is in a very convenient location. It's set back in the trees down a short path only 50 yards from the ocean where it's accessible for swimming. It's close enough to town to be an easy walk yet it's far enough away to feel tranquil and safe.
I appreciated Doris' kind spirit, her commitment to quality, and her love of her sweet Jack Russell terriers.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AFreeman_11
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here at the end of our trip and were kinda underwhelmed by the accomodations. The bed was two singles pushed together with a sheet thrown over it - there were a lot of little charges for things other places mostly seemed to include (ac/wifi/water bottle refills/bikes). The checkout time was 930 and we weren't informed of that when we arrived, which made for a very abrupt departure the morning our time was up.

Overall, we both wished we'd held off and either just got a room upon arriving on the island (every single quote we got was cheaper) or had just spent more time searching. Wouldn't stay again, or recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
TTGH_DOC, Owner at Tree Tops Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

So sorry that you find us to expensive. Our added AC to this room is not listed on our website and we offer this as an additional amenity. You booked a room without AC.
Our bike rental at US $ 5.00 for 24 hours is the cheapest bike rental on the island. This also applies to the Internet /WiFi. At a cost of US $ 2.50 for 24 hours usage equivalent to 10 cent or 1 dime per hour.
Information on cost of the room, do & don’ts in case of fire, as well as check-out times are listed on the inside of every entry door to the rooms, as it is required by Law.

My staff takes pride in their work and will never just throw a sheet on the bed.

I am sorry that my refusal at 9.45 PM to open up my office again for you to use the internet to check on your flights for the following day has prompted you to write this review. Our office is open for 12 hours a day 7.00 AM to 7.00 PM.