“As local as you get”

Mama Liz's Kitchen
Ranked #55 of 99 Restaurants in Caye Caulker
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was just invited to have dinner with a Belize family, that's how it feels eating at Mama Lizz. We asked what's for dinner and she offered one pork dish and one beef. We said sounds good.

We sat at the front part of the house and practically watching tv with the family. The dish came and it has the meat we ordered, potato salad and rice. They are definitely homemade food. And they are so good since we always appreciate local food and culture, and thus meal has both.

Since you are eating at someone's house, while they are doing whatever they are doing, don't expect formal restaurants service. But do expect interact with the owner and the so called "crazy cousin", and their family members. It's all great and fun there. Highly recommend if you want to see how locals live.

1  Thank Rudy L

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

As cliche as it sounds... This is soul food at its best.

We ate from Liz's kitchen twice. A slightly hidden gem of a find, it sits on the main road nearby Chan's supermarket.
Basically Liz is a dream. First up was fried plantain, the best potato salad I have ever had, chicken, and rice and beans. My boyfriend had the same but with meat balls also cooked to perfection. The food was double the portion size of anywhere on the island, half the price and with about 10 times the amount of soul put in to it.
We have been away for a few months now and meeting Liz made me think of my friend at home that is a fantastic cook and host.

We grabbed a couple of beers from the nearby shop and dined on the front porch as if we were part of the family. Music was playing from the kitchen, the moon was out; a very romantic setting indeed.

After dinner we chatted with Liz in her kitchen, such a funny and friendly lady it's clear that Liz is very passionate about her food and it's deliverance.

The following night we got some grub to take away from there and as we waited, Liz served us some of her beef soup.
The meat just fell of the bone and the potatoes held their texture perfectly in the nutritious soup.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to try one of her Johnny Cakes for breakfast but I'm guessing they'd have been as equally delicious.

Much love to Liz, thanks for a fabulous feed and lovely experience.

1  Thank Poppyloveschillis
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I visited mamma lizz kitchen nd was amaze by the service I got..
I would like to go bcl again when visiting bze... Love you mamma lizz!!!

1  Thank shelmadeem
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Prices from 10BZ ($5 US)and up for Belizian meals. Has a small bar, indoor or outdoor dining. Off the street walk up to 3rd floor family operated café.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

It was just a very good luck fo find that place which makes you feel home. The Food tasted really good, the charming Mama Liz makes you feel home far away and she has a very good sense of Humor. Just go there and enjoy - ist the best place at Caye Caulker and I surely will come back.
And not to Forget the hughe portions she served, you dont find it anywhere else on the Island like there.

1  Thank ElViaje2013