“Rustic Accommodations - Cheap Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Marin's Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Marin's Guesthouse
Muskoka District, Canada
“Rustic Accommodations - Cheap Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I arrived by water taxi to Caye Caulker around 6-7:00 in the evening. After going to a couple places that we had in mind and finding them full, we decided that the first place we came to with vacancy is where we would stay. Marin's was that place. We found the guy in charge, David, and rented a room from him. The only room with two beds and a private bathroom that he had was a cabana which was $50bz/$25us a night. I was tired of walking around with my backpack so we settled on the cabana.

The cabana itself was very rustic. It had a double bed and a twin bed, and two tables. The shower was very grimy, water pressure was light, and the water just drained out a hole in the floor onto the sand below. The entire cabana was made out of plywood, and the ceilings were quite mouldy. We thought of changing hotels but the hassle around town wasn't worth it for the short period of time we were staying. The bed was hard and the towels we had in our room on the first day had better days as they were quite raggy, but the next day's delivery of towels was an improvement. There were also bare wires and uncovered electrical sockets throughout the cabana.

There are lots of places to hang out and relax outside... Muskoka/Adirondack chairs, hammocks, picnic table, swings...

On the first night, we went down the road for Chinese food, when we returned and turned on the light there was a cockroach climbing on my stuff. For this reason, I slept at the opposite end of the bed the entire stay!!

There is a common area with a large picnic table and some swings where many sat around chatting at night. This helped to make the place much more tolerable as it was nice to have some good times with other travellers.
The place is pretty laid back, as is the rest of the island, but you don't see much of the people who were running the place - they tend to steer clear of their guests which made them come off somewhat cold.

I had every intention of checking out other places to compare prices on the island but never got a chance to do so. I think for the price of $25 a Night for two people, I got what I paid for. If you are travelling on a budget and can secure a private room in one of the popular hostels on the island, I would recommend doing so. Marin's, however, is a cheap alternative and only a short walk to the Main Street. It is also across the road from a grocery store and down the road from cheap food stands.

The accommodations themselves deserves 2 stars (at best), but for the cheap, cheap price, the social aspect, and the hotel's location, I have given it three stars. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I would go back to Marin's or if I would pay a little more to stay elsewhere. Staying here again is not completely out of the question - now that I know what to expect... For the low price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PlanetChar

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)