“it's not luxury - but it's amazing.”
Review of Ignacio's Cabins

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ignacio's Cabins
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
British Columbia
“it's not luxury - but it's amazing.”
Reviewed January 31, 2010

My boyfriend and I saw these and instantly fell in love, despite the stinky toilet, the cold, rickety shower and the bed that very nearly fell apart. You can hear everything between cabins when it's not windy, but when you laze in your hammock with a Belikin watching the various waterbirds in the shallow flats (no beach and a sketchy dock, but amazing views) and see dolphins swimming by, you'll forget the few negatives. It's rustic, they don't clean and if you want a beach, it's not for you but if you want the best view, quiet seclusion and amazing scenery (with a few bugs), stay here. It's cheap and you get what you pay for with the room, more with the view!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin
Reviewed May 24, 2009

The view and price for Ignatio's could not be beat. The rooms are sparse with no option for AC and a free standing fan to help circulate the sea breeze. The rooms are also a little dated but clean. It was about a 5 minute walk to get to "The Strip" where all the restaurants and such are, but it is a nice walk. I think we paid $10 USD per night with a 2 night minimum and I could not have wanted anything more for our 1st nights in Belize.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Serat808
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I am am a sixty year old Englishman and used to staying in all sorts of accommodation. My wife and I stayed here for only one night and sincerely regret that we were unable to stay longer.These cabins may not be fancy and may be lacking in the facilities that many tourist hotels make a virtue, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to feel any sort of stress here. The staff were wonderful and the sunrise that we could see from our balcony was priceless.Throw away your conceptions of what you need on holiday and just enjoy it

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeattieLondon
Eureka, California
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I loved Caye Caulker and was really happy with Ignacio's Cabins. I stayed there on the recommendation of a friend and it was the perfect spot for my boyfriend and me. The cabins are very rustic and basic, a bed toilet and shower is all it has and all you need. The best spot is the outdoor porch where you have amazing views of the blue Caribbean waters and a cooling breeze. The location is out of the way but the walk to town is beautiful. Even though there is no air conditioning, the windows on all sides allowed the breeze to move through the cabin and I slept peacefully. The owner is great and was very helpful with everything we needed.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MBierwirth
South FL
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Hey it's affordable and minimal. It's a good budget stay if you don't mind cold rain water showers. Actually it's a lot like camping only your tent is wooden (critters and all). The view is worth the stay. Do not forget your own towels and toiletries as there are none provided for you. If you feel you're too far from town here you're just too lazy to bike the 10 mins so get off your rump!

• Liked — Amazing views
  • Disliked — The cabanas themselves can be a tetinus shot waiting to happen
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingSinZ
london
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I was looking for somewhere cheap to stay while waiting for my friends to join me, and was taken there by a guide called Gilbert.

I was excited by how rustic it was (I'm pretty used to roughing it, given that I'm from Africa). I wasn't expecting luxury, and soon learned to deal with the cold stinky shower - the island's water is from underground reservoirs - as some of the shower heaters don't work. The generators went once or twice, leaving me without light, so I just sat in the hammock. After all, you dont go to somewhere like Caye Caulker to stay in your hotel. The owner's daughter was helpful, though not friendly.

It's best to stay here if you're fairly laid back, and up for a bit of an adventure. Once my friends arrived, we stayed a night while making plans for the rest of the trip. When we returned to the island, we stayed at Tina's, which was cheaper and kept in good shape by Ami, who was amazing.

• Liked — views
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2007

We decided to stay at Ignacio's after reading the reviews on here. I called Ruben and spoke to him personally about what we would get and what we wouldn't. When we got there they did not have our cabana, we didn't get a room until after 10pm that night and when we did finally get a room the windows were broken, screens were gone, bugs were crawling in the bed sheets and the water didn't work. When I went down to talk to him about this and about how the "wireless" wasn't working he laughed at me, to my face and said "It would be a real chore to fix that," also said that there were no bugs this time of year and closed the door in my face. I then opened the door again and told him he had until the next day to remedy the sitution or we would be leaving, he laughed at me again. I was very upset, I was treated very poorly. We left the next day and ended up staying at Mara's place for the rest of our stay. They were wonderful and right by the split. If you go to Caye Caulker dive with Big Fish , eat at Wish Willy, dirink the one barrel rum and relax.

• Liked — it was on the beach
  • Disliked — no screens, a ton of bugs in the bed, no water, staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank chewy_monster
#2 of 19 in Placencia
Caye Casa
Caye Casa
#18 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to Ignacio's Cabins? Share your experiences!