“Get what you pay for...”
Review of Ignacio's Cabins

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ignacio's Cabins
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
South FL
“Get what you pay for...”
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Hey it's affordable and minimal. It's a good budget stay if you don't mind cold rain water showers. Actually it's a lot like camping only your tent is wooden (critters and all). The view is worth the stay. Do not forget your own towels and toiletries as there are none provided for you. If you feel you're too far from town here you're just too lazy to bike the 10 mins so get off your rump!

• Liked — Amazing views
  • Disliked — The cabanas themselves can be a tetinus shot waiting to happen
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingSinZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
london
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I was looking for somewhere cheap to stay while waiting for my friends to join me, and was taken there by a guide called Gilbert.

I was excited by how rustic it was (I'm pretty used to roughing it, given that I'm from Africa). I wasn't expecting luxury, and soon learned to deal with the cold stinky shower - the island's water is from underground reservoirs - as some of the shower heaters don't work. The generators went once or twice, leaving me without light, so I just sat in the hammock. After all, you dont go to somewhere like Caye Caulker to stay in your hotel. The owner's daughter was helpful, though not friendly.

It's best to stay here if you're fairly laid back, and up for a bit of an adventure. Once my friends arrived, we stayed a night while making plans for the rest of the trip. When we returned to the island, we stayed at Tina's, which was cheaper and kept in good shape by Ami, who was amazing.

• Liked — views
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2007

We decided to stay at Ignacio's after reading the reviews on here. I called Ruben and spoke to him personally about what we would get and what we wouldn't. When we got there they did not have our cabana, we didn't get a room until after 10pm that night and when we did finally get a room the windows were broken, screens were gone, bugs were crawling in the bed sheets and the water didn't work. When I went down to talk to him about this and about how the "wireless" wasn't working he laughed at me, to my face and said "It would be a real chore to fix that," also said that there were no bugs this time of year and closed the door in my face. I then opened the door again and told him he had until the next day to remedy the sitution or we would be leaving, he laughed at me again. I was very upset, I was treated very poorly. We left the next day and ended up staying at Mara's place for the rest of our stay. They were wonderful and right by the split. If you go to Caye Caulker dive with Big Fish , eat at Wish Willy, dirink the one barrel rum and relax.

• Liked — it was on the beach
  • Disliked — no screens, a ton of bugs in the bed, no water, staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chewy_monster
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed September 7, 2006

I stayed in the first cabana closest to Ignacio's house and it was absolutely wonderful. These cabanas have 2 beds inside and a small bathroom. But the inside is not what you are here for, the porches are the best place on the planet. All the ocean facing cabanas have hammocks that are just feet from the ocean. I stayed curled up in one of them for a week. It was delightful. I would defiantly stay here again.

• Liked — The hammock out front
  • Disliked — The water quality of the island
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank brownmattc
Michigan
Reviewed August 19, 2006

The location of these cabanas was great. Just outside of town, nice and quiet. There is a great porch for viewing the ocean. Of course like all of Caye Caulker the beaches are not the best for swimming. There is an old dock you could dive off in one small part to swim weed-free. The beds in the room were old. The room was nothing special, but they were very cheap. The showers were scary! They have a water heating shower head that is plugged into the wall. You will feel the electric current by your head. Not Safe!
This is cheap. Don't plan on anything fancy, bring your own towels and drinking water. This place has it own charm, but it is not for everyone.

• Liked — It was cheap and good view.
  • Disliked — Hot water shower heads were scary!
  • Tips/Secrets — Look around on the island. You could probably get something nicer!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DGoat
Washington DC
Reviewed September 14, 2005

My boyfriend and I spent three days in late July in Caye Caulker and stayed at Ignacio's all three nights. There are two rows of small cabins and on the end is the somewhat larger cabana. It was great. A big kitchen, twin bed in the front room area, separate bedroom and decent sized kitchen. It had a sizeable porch with a great view of the ocean. Once we walked in I wished that we had spent the previous seven days there and at Caye Caulker doing nothing. It is great. And so inexpensive. I have to say that there was a problem with the water. It tasted salty and felt kinda grungy on your skin. The sweet old man at the office worked in a frenzy to fix it once we told him. I don't imagine this is a common problem but one which popped up while we were there.

If you want to be lazy and read and enjoy solitude and have a nice space this hotel and in particular this one cabana is great. Its a five minute walk to the busier bit of Caye Caulker and there is next to no foot traffic around Ignacio's itself - a few stray travelers walking to and from the Maya Air strip.

All and all a great little cabana.

• Stayed July 2005