“Comfortable and relaxing”
Review of De Real Macaw

De Real Macaw
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed at the De Real Macaw for a week with my sister and husband. We rented the beachfront house out front and truely enjoyed our stay. Jessie and Jeff were there to help us with all of our questions. We fished most of the time we were there, but also took a couple of the tours. We liked having an apartment to come back to after a long day in the sun and wind. We could do our own laundry and with the clothes lines availible and the great ocean breezes your clothes were dry in no time. We are early risers and especially enjoyed the front porch balcony,drinking our coffee, watching the sunrises and the locals getting set up for another day on the island. The vendors out front close by 10pm and we did not have any problems with them. It is a great location, close to all that Caye Caulker has to offer. We would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luvtofish61
There are newer reviews for De Real Macaw

Reviewed October 24, 2009

I have had the great fortune to discover Caye Caulker and De Real Macaw several years ago and have been back every year since. I suppose it's the atmosphere of De Real Macaw that makes it most endearing. Most of the guests return year after year, renewing acquaintances and friendships with locals and vacationers from around the world. Jessie is the owner of De Real Macaw and catalyst this sense of belonging. Her stories and insights enlighten and entertain.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2009

When I imagine a trip to the Caribbean, I think about thatched roofs, palm trees, hammocks, sea breezes, experiencing a new culture, and friendly people. De Real Macaw has all of this and more. We have been to Caye Caulker about 10 times. By ourselves.... as a couple.... when we were pregnant......with one small child, and then with an infant and a small child. De Real Macaw has been able to accomodate us in all these phases.
They have two bedroom apartments with kitchenettes, big rooms with kitchenettes, small rooms for two people and even a tiny room that is super cheap when you are just by yourself. Some have airconditioning, some are close to all the action, some are towards the back of the property and very quiet.
There is a great courtyard that is fenced where you can hang out with friends, take advantage of free wi-fi, and even cook your catch of the day on the outdoor grill. There is free filtered water so that you can fill up your water bottle for the day which saves a lot of money. If you forgot something, they probably have it in the office....insect repellent, sunscreen, books in all languages etc. Jeff who runs the office is very helpful if you want info. on taking a tour or what to do on the island.
The rooms are extremely clean. The maids are very friendly and they use lysol to make sure that they are really clean. Our baby and child have never gotten sick here.
Jessie, the owner is very welcoming and helpful if you ever need advice on what to do on the island.
When we first came to Caye Caulker, we stayed at a very expensive place on the back side of the island. We felt sad that we were missing out on the action. We didn't get a chance to interact with the islanders and really experience Caye Caulker. The next time we came back we stayed on front street in an extremely cheap place but it wasn't as clean and the owner and staff weren't nearly as helpful.
When we first stayed here, there was a clear view of the beach and ocean. About 1.5 years ago the village put up short vendor stalls inbetween De Real Macaw and the ocean. They are see thru and the vendors are very friendly. In fact, we know them all by name now and are happy to see them every time we come back. They are not agressive and you will enjoy talking to them!
We're here again and I just read some of the reviews and was shocked. If you are looking for a Ritz Carlton with a big sandy white beach, this is not the place for you. If you want to have fun, relax, and have a REAL experience instead of one that is created for you, then this is the place.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2009

My husband and I stayed at De Real Macaw for 4 nights in one of the "beachfront rooms" with air conditioning. Knowing we would not be spending much time in our room, all we wanted was a decent place to shower and sleep without having to spend a ton of money. Looking at the website, this place seemed to fit our bill. After spending 4 nights at Ruby's on San Pedro, Belize and loving it, our expectations for this place were a little higher. Let me start with the positives: You cannot beat the location of this hotel. It is right in the middle of the island with relatively easy access to the water taxi, the split, and numerous restaurants/shops. The staff was very nice and took care of any problem we encountered. They were very eager to please us and would try to immediately fix any of the problems we had (shower/ air conditioning).
Now on to the negatives: The biggest negative we had is that even though this hotel is advertised as a beachfront hotel, and you can reserve beachfront rooms, we could not actually see the beach from our room. There is now a "shanti building", or market, built across from the hotel where locals sell their merchandise from about 6 am until almost 10 pm. Not only did this block our entire view of the ocean (our so call ocean front room) but the locals are very loud throughout the entire time they are there. Although on a positive side, we never had a problem with them being rude or constantly trying to sell us stuff. The only other negative I had was the sheets/bedding smelled mildewed, which could be because of the water on Caye Caulker. But to be fair, If it weren't for the market across the street I would have given this place a very good rating. The owner Jessie was telling us she has complained to the government to get the market moved, if it moves, this place is a definite to stay at. Until that happens I would suggest finding another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NCKimC
Reviewed July 14, 2009

De Real Macaw was a last minute idea on our part. We had just returned to Caye Caulker from a trip to San Ignacio, and at the last minute decided to try and fit in one more day on the island.

De Real Macaw is on the beach... well pretty close to it. It is also near the majority of the restaurants, bars, and the split that populate the north side of the island. The hotel faces the small shopping/vendor area that can become loud and a bit offensive at times. That is of course beyond the control of the hotel.

The rooms were small, but the AC worked fine... so well I had to turn it off at night to be able to sleep. This is mainly because of the sparse bedding that is provided. The hammock on the front porch was great and I spent a good deal of time swinging in it and reading my book in the evenings.

All in all it is an average place to stay (for Caye Caulker) though I think you can get better accommodations or a better deal with a little prior planning or a little harder look.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I want to be careful here, because I stayed here for only a few hours and I think certain travelers would like this place better than I did. I arranged to stay here for four nights, but when I got to my room (a "beachfront" room, which was one of the best on the property) I decided to check out immediately, forfeit one night's fee, and find somewhere else (Seaside Cabanas; see review). The main problem was that the room was too dark. This was not the kind of thing a lamp or two could fix; it was like a cave. I also felt the room was laid out poorly and, generally, not very nice. Adding to the problem was that you could not open the window unless you wanted to give up all privacy. The room is right on the island's main road, and the area in front of the room is a hang-out for some of the locals. They weren't in the least threatening (although once walking past I was asked if I wanted to buy some pot), but who wants to have everyone walking past be able to look into your room? Perhaps someone of the "I don't spend time in my room, anyhow" ilk would find this place acceptable, but I wanted something a bit nicer. I will say the folks who run the place were a pleasure to deal with when I arranged to stay there, and I'm disappointed things didn't work out.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank iraform
Reviewed March 4, 2009

My sister and I loved our stay in Caye Caulker, and De Real Macaw just added to our fabulous trip. It is centrally located and became the meeting spot for all the great people we met on the island. Jessie, who runs the place, is friendly and very helpful. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are clean and all you need while you enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of the Island. I loved lounging on our cabin hammock, saying, "hello" to all the locals, visitors, etc. who would pass by (everyone is so friendly, it felt like an adult summer camp). Everything closes up around 9 pm, and by 10pm the island is quiet (except at the I & I tree house bar!). Eventually three of us stayed in one room, and it was spacious and comfortable. I have NO complaints and would stay there again.
Oh, and it is worth spending the extra money in Caye Caulker. Our friends staying at the hostels for $20 a night left with bed bug bites and ticks! We were happy to pay $60-70 split between three of us.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
#9 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Caribbean Villas Hotel
Caribbean Villas Hotel
#29 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to De Real Macaw? Share your experiences!