“Tropical Paradise”

Ranked #24 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Livonia, Michigan
“Tropical Paradise”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The location was on the far south end of the main street, which was a nice quiet place for relaxing. The rooms were clean and what you needed for sleeping. I stayed in one of the bungalos and the air conditioner worked great. They do have some rooms without AC, so if you need it make sure you request when reserving. The have an attached restaurant, at which you get 15% off your bill when staying with them. The list all rooms as beachfront, but really only have 2 single bungalos and one double story bungalow that I would consider true beachfront (although all rooms are within 200 feet of ocean) - of course, when in the tropics -who spends time in their rooms!!

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with AC, and if you really want a ocean facing room you need to be very...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

This hotel worked perfectly for us. Rooms were clean and AC worked perfectly! The hotel is located at the end of the busy 'strip' so it is quiet if you need and close enough to all the parties! A 5 minute walk gets you to the split and a 15 second walk gets you to I&I reggae bar which is the most popular bar/club! I would certainly go back!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Tropical P, Owner at Tropical Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you for the nice review. We do look forward to your next visit. Whenever you are ready contact us and we will be happy to assist.

Maple ridge
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I realy enjoyed the cabin ..up with the birds step out there is your beach ..See the sunrise coming over the edge of the ocean .. That is how you start your day in paradise ..(friendly staff and. Clean rooms I well be back sooon...) much thanks the Belizean and her tourists ...

• Stayed April 2014
It means a lot to us that you enjoyed your time at our Hotel and in Belize. We do look forward to your next visit. We are always here to make you feel right at home.

See you soon,

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We had an amazing time in Caye Caulker and the staff at Tropical Paradise were a big part of it. A special thank you to Ramon, who took care of our booking, Rockel who took care of our room and Randy who took care of us at the bar/restaurant.

Being located at the south end of front street was perfect. You are out of the busier area but you are a short walk from everything.

There was a nice spot off the pier which was clear of sea grass and was perfect for a refreshing dip in the Caribbean. I even snorkeled around the dock and saw rays, barracuda and a myriad of smaller tropical fish.

I highly recommend this place. If you are expecting an all inclusive type treatment then Caye Caulker is not for you. If you want great value, a clean safe room and a friendly family run atmosphere then Topical Paradise is the place.

Thank you guys. We can not wait to come back!

Room Tip: The cabanas by the sea great great ocean breezes at nigh. No need for a/c. If you are on the isla...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you guys for staying with us. We are happy that you enjoyed the property and our Beach. Hope you got some great pictures and memories. See you again soon.

Randy, Raquel, Ramon & The Staff
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was my 2nd time staying at Tropical Paradise - the first time last year was fabulous - liked it so much I brought my kids back with me this year. I pre-booked and was offered an 'economy room' - for which after my first visit, i assumed were the 4 connected rooms by the reception area. NO SUCH LUCK - "Economy" is way back BEHIND the hotel - in what feels like a dark alley - my view for 3 days was a run down concrete home with their laundry hanging on the porch (every day) and the hotels towels drying below (every day). I went back to the desk and asked if we could have another room and was told "no, everything is booked" - well, their sister hotel Trop Paradise Too had rooms - big vacancy sign out front and I went in to ask and they said they had plenty. I was not offered to move there....instead we were stuck in what felt like the ghetto. I offered to pay the difference in upgrading to a different room - still the answer was "No". It was dark and scarey back there - and we were back there alone for most of the time. The stairs will fall down soon, and the building shakes. Let me tell you about towels - I booked for 3 people - even when I checked in he asked "there are 3 of you, right?" - alas we only had 2 bath towels. I went directly back down to the desk to request another. It was noon a this point. We went walking around for a while and returned around 4 pm - still no towel. I went back down to the desk and asked for another towel - I was told "I cant leave the office - go look around for someone wearing a yellow shirt that works in housekeeping" - really? just go wandering around looking for myself? OK - so I did. I found someone getting dry towels off the laundry line - asked for a towel - she asked what room I was in - and evidently she didnt want to give me one of the 'good' towels she was taking off the line (the towels that were in our room were bleach stained and old). Finally I asked again and she looked around as if she would get fired for giving me another towel. The next day, we went snorkeling and came back to rush to take showers - the beds had been made - but no new towels. Our old, damp towels were hung back up for us....I WAS FURIOUS! The new manager did come back to the 'dark side' wanting to talk about our 'accommodations' and I am hopeful that he will be bringing in some new life to Tropical Paradise, specifically the dank, dark place we were forced to stay in. (Thanks for the beer & chips Eugene!) I would never risk my money having to "pre-pay" to stay here and be stuck in the dark back alley again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tropical P, Owner at Tropical Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
We were surprised of your review. Am glad you did enjoy the Beer and Chips and Salsa that I asked Eugene to give to you because of the towel inconvenience, and housekeeping was reprimanded for their error. It was a gesture on our part. We did see Eugene bend over backwards to try to make your stay great and your review in such a negative way is stuns us. We must write to others reading this that we can provide Pictures of your room, your view, and the area, which is in no way an alley. The steps were checked and are in firm condition, even other guests were asked and were super surprised that you had an issue with the steps even, they had great stays.

Please note that the "Economy" room is just that, an economy room, you paid much much less than an AC Cabana. Our entire property is on the beach but am sure you can understand that these rooms are closer to the beach than the "Economy" rooms. When you booked you did chose the "Economy" room. You were aware that our property was booked while you were here am sure. Eugene did not indicate that you wanted to upgrade, even though it wasn't possible, or that you would not mind moving to our sister hotel. If you should decide to book with us please take note that booking an Economy room, while clean and comfortable, is not a beachfront AC Cabana. We do apologize for the towel incident, but deny the inaccuracies about our property.

Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Caye Caulker hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Recently returned from a stay at Tropical Paradise Hotel. While I rated the property Average, we did really enjoy our time here. The staff were pretty good (some better than others, as usual), but really only one staff member that really stuck out as wonderful (and we saw/met quite a few!).

There was a problem with our room on check-in, apparently the past guest was refusing to check out (after getting our original room, I can see why). We were told that we would get another room which was an "upgrade" for free. While our "upgrade" room was bigger, and the view was better, it was 1/2 as nice as our original booking, and I'm not altogether convinced that this room was indeed an "upgrade." Either way, the beds were fine, the sheets were clean. The bathrooms are nothing stellar and are crying for upgrades, but our original room (cabana) had a much nicer living space although it was small-ish.

I think the value is pretty good, the discount at the restaurant is nice, air conditioning works well, and the location is pretty good. It's only a 15 minute wander down to The Split, and close to restaurants and the Reggae Bar. I'm not 100% sure why there was crime scene tape on the beach one morning, but we noticed nothing unusual the night before, and felt safe at the hotel.

I'd recommend staying here if you can get the cabana. I would likely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Take the cabana rooms!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank NorthK1954
We are so sorry for the inconvenience, we are glad that it didn't spoil your trip altogether. Thanks for your observations, we take them seriously. As for the crime scene tape, two locals got into an altercation on the adjoining beach, but the authorities taped off part of our beach as well to look for evidence, it took long because the experts had to come over from San Pedro.

We hope to see you again soon.

Cooper Landing, Alaska
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The people that work here were very trustworthy and helpful. The restaurant was also fairly good and we ate breakfast there almost every day. The nice thing is that all the rooms (I believe) have air conditioning. The rooms were also clean, which is the ultimate goal for accommodations. I stayed here with a large group of people, however, and the quality of the rooms was extremely variable. I somehow ended up with probably the nicest room (room #2) which looked like it had recently been refurbished. Some of the other rooms looked liked they were in pretty desperate need of refurbishing, though. The hot water in the bathroom was also very unreliable. This area is also a little more common for break ins, so we were warned to make sure to lock our door at night and when we were gone. Overall, it was a decent accommodation for the price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your Review. We are constantly upgrading our property and welcome you to visit us again. We apologize for the hot water issue and it will be checked out. To be clear we don't suffer break ins at the hotel, and we do advise all guests to keep the doors locked at all times. There are a few idle minded people on the island who do go around all hotels and check doors, we have caught them on camera and have provided the authorities with the footage.

We do hope you give us a try again in the future.