“Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #23 of 32 Caye Caulker B&B and Inns
Winnipeg, Canada
“Enjoyable Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Recently returned from a stay at Tropical Paradise Hotel. While I rated the property Average, we did really enjoy our time here. The staff were pretty good (some better than others, as usual), but really only one staff member that really stuck out as wonderful (and we saw/met quite a few!).

There was a problem with our room on check-in, apparently the past guest was refusing to check out (after getting our original room, I can see why). We were told that we would get another room which was an "upgrade" for free. While our "upgrade" room was bigger, and the view was better, it was 1/2 as nice as our original booking, and I'm not altogether convinced that this room was indeed an "upgrade." Either way, the beds were fine, the sheets were clean. The bathrooms are nothing stellar and are crying for upgrades, but our original room (cabana) had a much nicer living space although it was small-ish.

I think the value is pretty good, the discount at the restaurant is nice, air conditioning works well, and the location is pretty good. It's only a 15 minute wander down to The Split, and close to restaurants and the Reggae Bar. I'm not 100% sure why there was crime scene tape on the beach one morning, but we noticed nothing unusual the night before, and felt safe at the hotel.

I'd recommend staying here if you can get the cabana. I would likely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Take the cabana rooms!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank NorthK1954
Tropical P, Owner at Tropical Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
We are so sorry for the inconvenience, we are glad that it didn't spoil your trip altogether. Thanks for your observations, we take them seriously. As for the crime scene tape, two locals got into an altercation on the adjoining beach, but the authorities taped off part of our beach as well to look for evidence, it took long because the experts had to come over from San Pedro.

We hope to see you again soon.

The Staff at Tropical Paradise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cooper Landing, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

The people that work here were very trustworthy and helpful. The restaurant was also fairly good and we ate breakfast there almost every day. The nice thing is that all the rooms (I believe) have air conditioning. The rooms were also clean, which is the ultimate goal for accommodations. I stayed here with a large group of people, however, and the quality of the rooms was extremely variable. I somehow ended up with probably the nicest room (room #2) which looked like it had recently been refurbished. Some of the other rooms looked liked they were in pretty desperate need of refurbishing, though. The hot water in the bathroom was also very unreliable. This area is also a little more common for break ins, so we were warned to make sure to lock our door at night and when we were gone. Overall, it was a decent accommodation for the price.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your Review. We are constantly upgrading our property and welcome you to visit us again. We apologize for the hot water issue and it will be checked out. To be clear we don't suffer break ins at the hotel, and we do advise all guests to keep the doors locked at all times. There are a few idle minded people on the island who do go around all hotels and check doors, we have caught them on camera and have provided the authorities with the footage.

We do hope you give us a try again in the future.

Wasilla, AK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I made a reservation for 3 nights on line before my trip to Caye Caulker in March at Tropical Paradise. I received my confirmation email and everything looked in order. When I arrived on Caye Caulker and went to check in at Tropical Paradise, they stated they had no record of my reservation. I showed them my printout with a confirmation # and they said, oh yeah, that's not our website, that's another website that is similar called www. tropical paradise-cayecaulker.com that is part of "International Vacation". They said here's a piece of paper to fill out with a complaint to try and get them to stop advertising, but sorry we can't refund your money. Tropical Paradise said they were full, so I had to walk the beach with my luggage looking for another place to stay. I called my credit card company the next day to dispute the charge for Tropical Paradise. Later that day, I got a call from "International Vacation" saying that they had talked to Tropical Paradise & straightened out the reservation and did I want to check in now or tomorrow? I said I had to check in at another hotel and reserve 3 nights to get a room, so no, cancel my reservation & refund my $. I took the time to walk back to Tropical Paradise to see what was going on, and they said, oh yes, they had found my original reservation in the other office. So sorry. Either Tropical Paradise is just incompetent, or they have a scam going. Thank heavens my credit card company removed the charge from International Vacation. I won't be booking through them again or staying at Tropical Paradise!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Please allow us to explain. I believe a Reception misspoke when they said they found your Reservation at the other office. We have two hotels and you probably ended up at the wrong location. This is always the fault of International Vacations. We have finally successfully got them to STOP using our pictures and advertising as if they are our hotel. They used to book reservations and not even inform us that guests were coming, this is exactly what happened to you. They collected, booked, and sent you confirmation without even making contact with us.

After you contacted them, they of course called us trying to fix their errors. International Vacations harmed a lot of our guests this very same way. This is the reason why we insisted that they cease from representing us (Without permission). We could not refund you, of course, because they are the ones who you paid into. We instructed them to refund you. In no way are we scamming or doing anything wrong. We tried our best to accommodate but we were just booked up.

We hope you understand this situation, even today, visit that website that you originally used to book. It leads you to another Belize property, that is total dishonesty on International Vacation's part. Sad, but companies like that do exist. We reported them to the local Tourism Board and Fraud prevention organizations as well.

Owner

Travelers are raving about these Caye Caulker hotels

Magog, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Good quality price, directly on the beach, very clean. Good location. Perfect. You Will love the Deck and the chairs right on the beach. Free wifi. Quiet. You must go to caye caulker to snorkel or nautic sports. Dont come here forthe beaches, there is not.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Amelie093
Thanks for the great review. We do hope you return and visit us soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed here last year and things were OK. I came back again, and they overcharged me a night. When I brought it to their attention, they refused to give me the full refund. The supervisor did his best(Bruno) but the owner refused to.
Sadly the business owners of Caye Caulker have an attitude that visitors owe them something. You earn tips and business with good service and being kind. Even if you mess things up, if you're nice all is OK. I will never stay here again and recommend

• Stayed March 2014
Tropical P, General Manager at Tropical Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
It is unfortunate that you feel this way about Caye Caulker businesses. We have thousands of happy guests visit our island yearly.

We would like to point out that your situation was handled by Bruno our supervisor and you did receive a full refund. Your wife happily accepted it and stated "This is all we wanted". Seeing this review obviously surprised us because your wife made the decision and was totally happy with the refund, Bruno attests to this.

Management only decided to offer the refund so that you would be a happy guest. You paid for your room for 4 nights upon check in, then ONLY after the third night of stay you visited the office to demand a refund. I'm sure you were not overcharged, but we did provide the refund to your wife. Again, which she happily accepted and declared that everything was great.

We understand that sometimes something on the island may urge you to leave, but we do hope you do visit Caye Caulker again. Thank you for accepting the refund. We are happy that you did enjoy your full 3 nights of stay with us.

Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Pleasantly surprised at how nice the hotel was! I was apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews but never had anything but positive experiences with our stay! Our Cabana, while simple, was clean & secure & the beds were nice & firm & the beach area was great ! A great value in my opinion & I would definitely recommend it to my family & friends.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Red Hook, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

I liked that it was located in a quieter end of town but one could walk/bike all the way up to the "split" beach in very short time.
Rooms are modest; ours had AC & it's own bath. But clean. We were right on a beautiful oceanside spot - very photogenic. Staff is OK and adjoining restaurant gives discount to lodgers on meals - not drinks.
Maybe we just had good luck but we got a room without prior reservation - in mid-March.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple