“Dodgy with BEDUGS!!!!!!!!”

Bali, Indonesia
“Dodgy with BEDUGS!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Please don't stay here!!
At first we thought this place seemed lovely, good value for aircon and clean room but this changed quickly. The owners hang around on a balcony outside and we felt as if we were being watched, did not feel at ease or very safe, I felt the need to push a desk up against our door during the night.
To make things worse, there were then bedbugs!!
We packed up first thing the following morning and moved to Mara's Place which was MUCH nicer for the same money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. When we arrived we thought it seemed like a great place with friendly people. This is not true of Tropical Paradise Hotel. The staff weren't very friendly and didn't seem bothered if we stayed or not, I wish now we hadn't! We were robbed on our first night. We had locked the door when we came home from dinner and went to bed (we did not, as the management and police like to accuse you of, invite any strangers back to our room!!!) We went straight to the police at 5a.m. and were told to return at 8a.m! The manager/owner found out about the situation and seemed shocked and said he would ask his sister if she had seen anything as she lived next door to our room. After another trip to the police station, we came back and saw the hotel owner who told us that his sister had seen everything and was willing to testify. 'Great' we thought, some good news! He then proceeded to LIE to our faces and told us that his sister had seen us running up and down the hall, my husband climbing up the balcony and us changing money from our wallets!!! We were gobsmacked to say the least. We told the police everything, some were helpful, others made us feel like we were the criminals in the situation. We had paid for three nights upfront, and had to wait for the police report so we had no choice but to stay there. The police apparently didn't have the authority to give us a police report, and told us to go to another island to get it. My husband paid $20 to go to the other island only to be told the officer who could print the report wasn't available. In the end we had to leave and one of the officers said if we gave him $9 he would try and get the report for us! The frustrating thing was we found out the police had detained someone, and had him on camera. On the day we left I went one last time to check if they had recovered anything, I was told a Tablet had been recovered. But they had let the person go as they had no proof it was him! And I had lost all hope now of us getting our stuff back. I don't know if it was a thief or the owner/staff at the hotel or the police were corrupt. All I know is we were robbed, no one wanted to help, infact they wanted to blame us. It is a shame because it seemed like a lovely place, but I would not go back, or recommend going there. And I would DEFINITELY NOT STAY HERE! I do not believe the owner would of given us a refund at all. Infact he completely ignored us for the rest of our stay. He is a rude man and a liar. And I don't say things like that lightly.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Georgie P

Travelers are raving about these Caye Caulker hotels

San Pedro, Belize
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

The cabana was clean and comfy
The first night we had no hot water
The fan in the room was amazing at moving the air.
It was really adequate for what I needed and for the price it was good .
Dion on the desk was really helpful and made the stay better
Will stay there again

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Yes, tropical paradise is an OK place - clean rooms, very simple in a good location but - oh the service ....
We told the manager therethat were leaving at the last ferry to Belize city in order to get the night bus to Mexico - a very long trip. Not once did he mentioned the fact that there is a late check out option. When we alreay took all of our asuff out of the room at 11 am sharp and spent the day at the beach - when we got back and asked if we can just use the showers for 10 minutes the other lady there told ilus that we need to pay 15 dollars )!!!( juat for the showers and we cant use the towels and we need to keep everything clean. We were really upset - there are many other places to stay which are better

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Dariaschitrit
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. It was a nice and serene hotel near the sea. The water in the caribbean sea was so clear. You can see all creatures in the water. The room was comfortable. There were a TV and a refrigerator. However, the weather was very hot in Belize, so, you absolutely need an air-conditioner at night. Unfortunately, the first night I stayed here had a power black out in some parts of the hotel. It was so hot at that night. There was no staff to help you at night because they always left the reception after 7pm. So, I couldn't even breathe in the room because I had to close the door due to a lot of mosquitoes outside. Although I opened the door, I didn't work. I was too hot to sleep in the room. I couldn't sleep, therefore, I finally decided to sleep outside because it's colder. I moved the bed to a bench and slept there with a slight blanket. I had to cover my body with blanket from head to toe because of a ton of mosquitoes, but at least I could breathe. It's a terrible night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Goodidear999
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed in a one room flat. Simple accommodations; bed, toilet,shower.Location is great because it's not the heart of things yet very convenient. Didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't rate the food but it seemed busy for all meals. Staff was friendly. Shower water smelled a bit funky but overall a great value for ocean front lodging!

Room Tip: ask to see all available rooms. Some are in better shape than others,most are dated.