“Great place to stay in Caye Caulker”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Barefoot Beach Belize
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at Barefoot by myself at the Oceanic Cottage for two weeks and highly recommend it! Caye Caulker is a fantastic place to get away from everything and Barefoot Beach was a big part of that. Ashley was great, took great care of me and was extremely personable. It was great to get to know the staff! After spending two weeks on the island and seeing other places to stay, Barefoot was one of the best on the island. I will be back...and as soon as I can!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank bdpellarin

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We loved the place ever since we found it on a website, but it gets even better when you get there. Seemed to us that it has the best location in the island, very nice dock, quiet and Ashley was very helpful and welcoming at all times. We got the ocean front suite, great room, very comfortable. It feels nice to go into some AC and fresh room after being in the scorching heat of Belize.

I would highly recommend this place. Not to mention that the rates are not sky high for the quality you get. Personally we loved the "pay up front system", because it gives you the chance to relax knowing that your bill is over with. All in all, our experience was excellent. Some other reviews say that there's no real swimming beach there, but reality is, there's no real swimming beach almost all over Caye Caulker. As I said before, to us, this place seems to have one of the best locations there.

Armando and Ida.
Norway

Room Tip: Ocean front suite is very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank armando z
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Well, first of all, it was a little far from the center of town at least a 15 minute walk to any food, drinks, etc. Of course, there was an equipped kitchen but island prices were outrageous making it cheaper to eat out. Also, it just felt damp no matter how much we ran the AC. For the price it was okay but it wouldn't be my choice the next time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank circusgurl
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in late May. From the time we landed on the water taxi pier, our stay was easy breezy! The golf-cart taxi ($5 American for two people) took us right to Susan's (as they called it), and explained a bit of the layout of the island on the way. Really, though, you can walk there in less than ten minutes down the beach front from the shuttle landing. At first, we were worried about carrying our bags through the streets, but as we got to know the place we decided that was an unfounded fear. We only used a taxi on the way out because it was pouring rain when we left!

When we got to Barefoot Beach, Ashley checked us in and was polite and knowledgeable when she showed us the room. The room was the one with the sea view patio, and while it wasn't huge, it had a closet rack and storage, a table, and a mini fridge, so it was very functional. The room smelled a bit like the water in Belize. Not great, but unavoidable. Once we got the AC turned on (a very welcome convenience!) the smelled dissipated. Honestly, we spent very little time in the room, anyway! The bed was firm, but comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and simple and Ashley came in to clean everyday.

In reference to some people's remarks about how they never saw Susan or were ignored by Ashley, we didn't have this experience at all! Every time we ran into Ashley, she'd ask how our day or excursion was. If I'm not mistaken, Susan lives upstairs and we held several brief conversations with her both midweek and when we were checking out. We found her very pleasant and down to earth.

There are definitely cheaper places to stay on the island, but I'm not sure if we'll consider those next time. This location was so quiet and the walk to the middle of town (down front street, cut through the tiny cemetery to middle street, and you're there) is hardly a hike. Five minutes at most. The other places we had considered seemed to have people in front of them ALL of the time. We are already itching to get back to this beautiful island and we'll definitely consider staying here again! TIP: Bring a small pen light or flashlight for walking to and from town at night. It's safe, but very dark!

Room Tip: Ours was technically a back room, but we had our own chairs, a sea view, and a hammock! Can't go...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FishGalv
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Though there are many worse places to stay on Caye Caulker, this place really needs some work. Furniture, furnishings and equipment are old, unclean and really just kind of gross to both have to look at and use. Bathroom is subpar. No real swimming beach here, and while the hammocks on the dock are decent enough, I think other reviews were a bit gratuitous with compliments about them.

Must pay up front before the stay and I'm sure its because they think you will run and find a better place should you see the room first. I regret not paying the extra $10/night to stay in a much cleaner and updated place.

Room Tip: You really could just ask hotels on the island to show you a room and book it once you arrive if you...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Oneladyonebackpack
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Sweet spot right on the water.Walk out the patio door on the deck off the deck on the clean white sand and you are good to go.Great pier to walk out on and feel safe,there are a few on the caye that are not near as nice.Head to the end with your coffee and watch a beauty sunrise.Susan,Asley and John will take care of all your needs except and no one can help with this and that is phone service leave cell phone at home. Nice clean,quiet spot away from the downtown area witch was nice at easter time.
Thanks again folks and will someday return with more body shop butter.

Room Tip: beachfront unit is nice to catch the breeze but be ready to guide people to the office
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Totally agree with MissJudeL's review. Susan made absolutely no attempt to meet us during our four day stay despite having only a few guests and plenty of opportunity. We had emailed about five times prior to our arrival, so we did expect her to at least say hello. We would see her come and go on her golf cart, but she left all the guest interaction to her daughter, who seemed like she was doing us a favor. They insist on full payment upon arrival and allow use of only one bicycle per room. The place is quiet, clean and has a nice dock, but you can't really swim at the beach, as it is full of seagrass. You can swim a bit off the end of the dock, but just to cool off. The smaller rooms are just big enough for the bed and the small fridge. The cottages (for $126?) are much much nicer with kitchen, fans, nice bath and working cable. Only one cockroach in the (small) bathroom during our stay and the air-con worked well, but only really needed in the smaller rooms, as they do not have a breeze. This place is located on the southern shore of the island, near the air strip, just a short walk to the main two streets. Spoke with other travelers who loved their place and had great service, so doubt we would come back here. Just did not feel welcomed. Lots of other, better places to stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the larger rooms with a nice breeze.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

I'm sorry that some guests have felt neglected by lack of my personal attention. I have been dealing with 2 dogs in grave need of operations in the US (where I am now). My daughter is a lovely girl and more then capable of taking care of the hotel and guests. Most of the time I can spend time with guests, buy I must also balance running my personal life with the hotel. Most guests do understand that I can not be there all the time and my daughter is there for that very reason. I still answer every email (even when my mother suffered a heart attack recently). So I hope guests will be patient with me needing to deal with my unexpected life situations.