“Dilapidated and Dirty”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Barefoot Beach Belize
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Belize City, Belize
“Dilapidated and Dirty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

Though there are many worse places to stay on Caye Caulker, this place really needs some work. Furniture, furnishings and equipment are old, unclean and really just kind of gross to both have to look at and use. Bathroom is subpar. No real swimming beach here, and while the hammocks on the dock are decent enough, I think other reviews were a bit gratuitous with compliments about them.

Must pay up front before the stay and I'm sure its because they think you will run and find a better place should you see the room first. I regret not paying the extra $10/night to stay in a much cleaner and updated place.

Room Tip: You really could just ask hotels on the island to show you a room and book it once you arrive if you...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Oneladyonebackpack

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Lacombe, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Sweet spot right on the water.Walk out the patio door on the deck off the deck on the clean white sand and you are good to go.Great pier to walk out on and feel safe,there are a few on the caye that are not near as nice.Head to the end with your coffee and watch a beauty sunrise.Susan,Asley and John will take care of all your needs except and no one can help with this and that is phone service leave cell phone at home. Nice clean,quiet spot away from the downtown area witch was nice at easter time.
Thanks again folks and will someday return with more body shop butter.

Room Tip: beachfront unit is nice to catch the breeze but be ready to guide people to the office
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Palos Verdes Estates, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Totally agree with MissJudeL's review. Susan made absolutely no attempt to meet us during our four day stay despite having only a few guests and plenty of opportunity. We had emailed about five times prior to our arrival, so we did expect her to at least say hello. We would see her come and go on her golf cart, but she left all the guest interaction to her daughter, who seemed like she was doing us a favor. They insist on full payment upon arrival and allow use of only one bicycle per room. The place is quiet, clean and has a nice dock, but you can't really swim at the beach, as it is full of seagrass. You can swim a bit off the end of the dock, but just to cool off. The smaller rooms are just big enough for the bed and the small fridge. The cottages (for $126?) are much much nicer with kitchen, fans, nice bath and working cable. Only one cockroach in the (small) bathroom during our stay and the air-con worked well, but only really needed in the smaller rooms, as they do not have a breeze. This place is located on the southern shore of the island, near the air strip, just a short walk to the main two streets. Spoke with other travelers who loved their place and had great service, so doubt we would come back here. Just did not feel welcomed. Lots of other, better places to stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the larger rooms with a nice breeze.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Barefoot Beach Belize, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
I'm sorry that some guests have felt neglected by lack of my personal attention. I have been dealing with 2 dogs in grave need of operations in the US (where I am now). My daughter is a lovely girl and more then capable of taking care of the hotel and guests. Most of the time I can spend time with guests, buy I must also balance running my personal life with the hotel. Most guests do understand that I can not be there all the time and my daughter is there for that very reason. I still answer every email (even when my mother suffered a heart attack recently). So I hope guests will be patient with me needing to deal with my unexpected life situations.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

Barefoot Beach is an affordable option for a room on the beach. I shopped around and their prices were quite reasonable compared to other places. The location is good, not right in the thick of things, but the island is so small everything is within walking distance.

I was a little puzzled by the reservation process. They don't have a PayPal account, nor do they accept credit card details via email. Susan, the owner, sent me a form which she asked me to fill out, scan and email back to her. This would normally be ok, but when you're traveling, it's quite difficult. She was insistent about receiving something in writing, so I had to hand write the form, take a photo of it and email it to her. It felt a little unnecessary and quite odd given the secure forms of payment which are readily available.

When we arrived from Mexico, she asked us to pay for our 5 night's stay in total. Given that we had not been able to get to the island's only ATM beforehand, we had no Belize dollars, so she asked us to pay for it on credit card which incurred an additional 5%. She made it clear that this was our choice, but it's not really a choice when you have no other option! Susan may well be a nice person, but I didn't see her again the whole time I was there, and compared to most other places we've stayed, I found her customer relations skills a little lacking.

The rooms are fine and have good aircon and wifi. They are clean, but for $70 per day it would be nice to have the bathroom wiped down each day, in addition to the floor being swept. There was a small fridge in our room which was useful. They look like they could use a little bit of TLC - towels were frayed, pillows were old and new shower heads would make a big difference.

We did enjoy our stay there - it's hard not to have a good time in caye caulker - but I think we would shop around for an alternative place to stay should we choose to visit the island again.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank MissJudeL
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for three nights and could have used another night or two! We stayed in a beachfront room with a king-sized bed (I think...) which was very comfortable and the room was very clean. The bathroom was nice and the shower had hot water (the water did have a slight smell to it BUT in my experience in Belize, most of the water has a bit of a smell to it. It wasn't a problem for us at all.)

Susan's daughter Ashley checked us in and she was super sweet and personable. We weren't in our room a lot because we spent our days enjoying all of the amazing things Caye Caulker had to offer but it was great to know that we would come back to a comfortable bed and a quiet room after our long, fun days in the sun.

Also, I should mention that every time I told a local where I was staying, they reacted with, "Oh, that's such a nice place!" So if a place has won over the locals, you know it's good!

I met Susan for the first time upon checking out and she was a total doll - she called us a cab and let us wait in our room for it even after we checked out.

I will definitely go back and suggest you check it out too, if you're looking for a clean, quiet place to stay with a beachfront view.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sarah C
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

We found Barefoot Beach 6 years ago and have been coming back ever since! Our mothers, fathers and siblings have even joined us through the years. When our daughter was born almost 4 years ago we didn't think twice about bringing her to stay at Barefoot Beach. Susan helped us to rent a playpen from a local couple. It was very clean and affordable...and way better than traveling with one. Through the years Susan and her family have been just perfect. The moto of the island is "Go Slow" and that is exactly why we go there for 2 weeks every year. Beer, water, bikes, fishing guides, you name it and Susan can arrange to help get you what you need.

Ashley is a great addition to place. She's very helpful when Susan isn't around and her daily cleaning is above and beyond what I think is necessary. Trash is removed, floor is swept, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen areas are cleaned. I kind of like to do that myself while I'm relaxing so I had to find other things to do so that I wouldn't get in her way. Cleaning the cabana helps me to imagine that I am a Belizean for 2 weeks of the year and while I'd love to have Ashley around all of the time, her help takes from the simple life that I love to bask in. She worked around our daughter's nap time and even played with her when she was awake.

John is also a great part of the Barefoot crew. He's the handy man and also very helpful when Susan and Ashley are away. I think that he was also considerate around nap time. He plays an adorable game of peek-a-boo while going to and from tasks too.

Simply said, they're just nice folks in a piece of paradise that my family and I hope to visit year after year.

For those who said that the hotel is far from town....nothing is "far" on Caye Caulker. Each day we would walk to the split in the morning and then bike to the split in the afternoon...with our 3-year old.

Another great thing about the property is that there are rooms and cabanas to fit a wide range of tastes and budgets. We have stayed in all of the rooms and the only problem we encountered was a plugged shower head, that was quickly fixed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank OV_Rocker
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

I spent my first visit to Caye Caulker at the Barefoot Beach hotel. I absolutely loved it! the location is absolutely fantastic and the owner Susan, her daughter Ashley and employee John made me feel like family. They helped me in anyway I needed and were so amazing. The location was Perfect, very quiet and totally beautiful. I have stayed at another hotel in Caye Caulker that was "downtown" and it was loud and annoying. It made me really appreciate this hotel even more! I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place, with honest and wonderful down to earth people. And by the way...the picture is exactly how the hotel looks currently! colorful and cute...you can see it from the water taxi!

Room Tip: I stayed in the cabana and it was so close to the beach and spacious with a full kitchen! they also...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family