“Perfect quaint accomodations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caye Caulker
Yuma's House Belize
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Perfect quaint accomodations”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was a solo traveler staying on Caye Caulker for 4 nights and stayed at Yuma's. I felt completely safe while at Yuma's (which is nice for a young, solo female traveler). Susanne was very welcoming, and it seemed that she tried to get to know everyone by name. It was clean and quiet and offered a great view of the ocean. It was also very conveniently located right by the water taxi jetties. I loved the hammocks that Yuma's has out on their jetty. Recommend for anyone!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I loved Yuma's House!!! It was clean, quiet and perfect for our stay on Caye Caulker.

It's literally right off the boat dock when you exit the water taxi which makes it extremely easy to find. As soon as we walked through the gates, Susanne met us and asked us if we had a reservation. We did and I highly recommend having one, as we saw several people come each day to check if there was availability (and there wasn't). She had our reservation, which I arranged previously through email. I had to send her my credit card number through email but there were no problems. It was $10bz deposit for the key and another $20bz deposit for towels which I thought was kind of expensive.

There are two kitchens, which were great! They had everything you need to make meals at the hostel (pots, pans, oil, salt, pepper etc) and they were kept really clean. There's also a refrigerator on each floor with a sharpie to put your name on your food/drinks. Nobody touched our stuff and we had a full bottle of rum in the fridge during our entire stay. There are also games, books and cards you can borrow.

The rooms were very clean. They do get really hot with the door closed, even with the fan that's provided. As soon as you step outside, it's about 10 degrees cooler with the breeze. There's also a drawer with a lock, which I really liked. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but I didn't expect much. Wifi was strong throughout the entire hostel (and free).

There are bathrooms on each floor. The lower floor had more showers/toilets than the top so if the top floor was occupied, there was always one open on the bottom. Those were kept impeccably clean as well. I saw the two cleaning ladies in there all the time.

My favorite thing about Yuma's House was the common area. There are hammocks and tables set up which are perfect for lounging all day. We would spend hours on them!! So comfortable. There's a palapa on the dock with hammocks that also belongs to the hostel, but they were usually occupied.

I felt extremely safe the whole time. Nobody comes in the hostel unless they're staying there and there's a guard that sits outside every night. Everyone there treated everyone else with respect and cleaned up after themselves. They definitely have a great system going!

One thing I was a little concerned about before arriving on Caye Caulker was how far away everything would be. I couldn't find any information on it and was worried that Yuma's House would be too far away to walk to places. Once I got to the island I realized how small it actually is. Yuma's House is pretty much in the middle and The Split is only about a 8 minute walk. The other side of the island takes the same amount of time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lindsey233
Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Yuma's House Belize is a great place to stay, it is clean and quiet. The first you'll see every morning is the wonderful turquoise sea. Restaurants, Bars, etc. you'll find within a few steps. The Hostel has enough showers and toilets and two kitchen as well. Susanne, the owner, she's very nice and helpful! Make sure you have a reservation before arriving, the hostel runs very good and can be fully booked out very quick. We loved that place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emanuel K
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2012

A very popular hostel in the Cayes so make sure you reserve. I saw lots of people get turned away, and we wanted to stay an extra day and they didn't have room. The place is very clean! There were cleaners all the time and a security guard at night, which was nice. My only complaint would be that there is no hot water. It's hot in the Cayes, but it's very hard to shower with cold water! Great location, good price, two kitchens, great place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We just recently came back from a nice 8 day trip to Caye Caulker and stayed at Yuma's during the entire stay. It's literally right off the water taxi pier. We got there and you can see it from the pier. Being a traveler, there's nothing like an easy find where you don't have to pull out a map and navigate little back streets and alleys to find your hostel. It's nice, bright, and colorful. I was traveling with my husband and my brother so we were able to get a "private room" which was a 3 bed dorm. There are 2 fans in the room but not a window that lets the breeze in so it could get somewhat warm before bed. A tank top and shorts at most to wear to bed.

We met lots of great people who were very like minded, love of travel but no need for any kind of rowdy partying. Lots of people hang out in the courtyard at night time and just talk and have some good laughs. Most people are also early sleepers which was great for us since a couple of days we were up before the sun to go on diving trips.

The staff keep this place spotless. The bathrooms and showers are cleaner than some hotels I've stayed in. I wasn't always afraid of catching some diseases from touching the walls or anything else. Just make sure that you are okay with cold water showers. It took some getting used to but just blot and suds up and eventually you'll get used to it.

Stay here if you are looking for a quiet place with nice people. You will meet people that you will want to stay in touch with and who can share their travel stories and stories from back home, wherever home is for them. The people complaining of the rules aren't meant to stay here. This is a place for people who can enjoy life just as it comes and don't need to party to the wee hours of the morning.

Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the second level so that the breeze can come into your room and it will be coo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Christopher K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Having spent a couple of nights at the nondescript Miramar a few minutes away, I finally managed to secure a bed at Yuma's House... and then ended up staying on Caye Caulker for a bit longer than intended! That's testament to the great atmosphere at Yuma's House, which is full of backpackers from the world over, but who share a similar mindset.
The dorms are compact but well-furnished and clean, and are all close to the well-equipped kitchens. The design of the hostel lets you make the most of the glorious weather and surroundings - benches, verandas, hammocks, cozy spots to chill out, plenty of WiFi to go round. The whole place has been decorated in a style that's sui generis, but appealing. Location's great: right on the shorefront, with its own private jetty (with more hammocks), and close to everything/where else you might need to have a good time on Caye Caulker - not that anything's very far away on this idyllic, tiny island!
The owner has taken over and made things really efficient - she has the staff wrapped round her finger (in a good way) - and she hasn't compromised on the value-for-money of the place either.
If you go to Caye Caulker, make sure you bag a bed at Yuma's House - you'll make some great friends, and you'll probably end up extending your stay on the island like I did.

Room Tip: The dorm I stayed in was upstairs, facing towards the sea - not too noisy, and a helpful breeze at n...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I slept in the dorms of Yumas. It is really nice and absolutely clean. Although the dorms is only 4 beds in a quite a small room, the location of the place is amazing, on the beach next to the dock of the fairy so you just need to walk 20 seconds and you are at the hostel. As I said one of the most cleanest hostels I have ever seen. All day there are people that clean and arrange everything to order. Susana is a really nice woman and will try to help you the best she can (even if she is not showing it).
The best thing in this place are the hummocks on the dock. I literally spent 2 days doing nothing and just laying in this amazing place. Worth every dollar!

• Stayed November 2012
Pedro's Hotel
Pedro's Hotel
#30 of 53 in San Pedro
Sandbar Beachfront Hostel & Restaurant

Been to Yuma's House Belize? Share your experiences!