“"Go slow"! Caye Caulker's finest.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Iguana Reef Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Iguana Reef Inn
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Anchorage, Alaska
“"Go slow"! Caye Caulker's finest.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

My husband and I just spent 10 nights at Iguana Reef Inn for our honeymoon.

The property - spotless, well kept, and everything you see in their pictures is an accurate representation.

The employees - amazing. I have never felt so welcomed, spoiled, and treated so respectfully as a guest. Everyone from one of the owners, to the front desk, to the housekeeping staff, were all so accommodating and welcoming! (Shout out to Otis for being the best part of our trip! He is by far the nicest person we have ever had the pleasure of meeting when traveling. Not only that, but he is a killer bartender and cook too! :)

The rooms- very spacious, well kept. Don't expect to sit in your room watching t.v., because there isn't one. Get out and enjoy the beautiful island!

Accommodations-Iguana Reef Inn helps arrange any trips or things you would like to go do. We did not take advantage of this prior to arriving, but I sure wish I would have since they seem to network with everyone. I appreciated the fact you could bill any charges to your room. Our bill was accurate and given to us in a timely manner prior to checkout.

If you plan to dive with Belize Diving Services, this is the place to stay. A 5:15 AM arrival to do a specific dive comes early, but not when you are staying directly next door.

We would absolutely stay here again if we visit Caye Caulker. There is no question about that.

If all you read out of this review is three words to describe this property, it would be: spotless, accommodating, and comfortable.

Room Tip: The poolside rooms are a few steps from the pool, but the parkside rooms are NOT very far at all. I...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

I'm coming back. Yes. Most definitely.

Caye Caulker reminds me of San Pedro 20 years ago. This is now my new favourite destination.

Found IRI from searches on Trip Advisor and another website - my hardest decision was determining if my friend and I were gonna rent the penthouse or regular rooms!

Getting to Caye Caulker was very easy - Maya Island Air has plenty of flights to/from CUK and Belize City (both airports). Had a "taxi" waiting for us when we landed, which was essentially a large golf cart. $5 + tip, a bumpier ride than the flight over, we were at the hotel. Nestled behind a dive shop, check-in was very nice and easy. The same staff that deal with you via email are also the check-in agents. The initial feel was very upscale for Belize, and the property looked beautiful.

I was assigned a room "cabana" that was between both buildings and my friend had a poolview room. I really enjoyed this cottage-type feel to my room, and it had a TV/sitting area and a large bed. The bathroom was nicely decorated, and I love the fact that this room has actual trinkets and artwork on the wall. Most hotels throw up 1 picture and 1 lamp -- this place felt more like a "HOME" than a hotel room.

Hot water, tv, and internet were no problem at this location, and I took use of the fridge frequently. For some reason I seem to think it was also stocked for a small charge. The breakfast in the morning was sufficient for Belize, and the bar staff was very nice and accommodating. It was nice being able to sit outside by the bar and not be hassled by people or folks trying to sell us crap. The pool was very well maintained -- albeit smaller than I'm used to, it served its purpose and enjoyed the design, didn't feel so small.

And of course the deck out back facing west... amazing sunsets. Absolutely STUNNING!

I never felt unsafe at anytime on Caye Caulker and really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DiverDown79
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

We looked at a lot of places before deciding on Iguana Reef. Ultimately, we were super satisfied with our stay here. We ended up staying in one of the lower priced rooms a little further from the water (which means an extra 50 feet) on the side closest to the soccer field. This room was plenty for 2 of us. Refrigerator, cheap beers/sodas in the room ($2.50 for beers), A/C, very nice bathroom, very clean. The location is great, a 2-3 minute walk to the middle of the main part of Front St. But, tucked away so, not a whole lot of foot traffic (not that it ever got super busy anywhere when we were there). The hotel bar is nice, shaded area and around the pool in the sun. If you don't try the chips and salsa (which sounds like a small thing to get excited about), you may as well not have come. The salsa is ridiculous. Ridiculous. Delicious. Additionally, next door there is 88 West, which usually had a few more people sitting around and had some tasty food options. The local soccer field is right by the hotel, there are games almost every night, but they only went until maybe 8pm while we were there. So, no big interruption from them.

The staff here is wonderful. They are happy to chat and help out any time.

As far as water access, there is a sandy area with beach chairs, dock, and kayaks to use. We used this area quite a bit. The kayaks are simple sit-on-tops, but more than enough for goofing around. The split is a 5 minute paddle. The dock faces west, so you get great sunsets. Occasionally, there are some freeloaders that come try to take the nice seats, but the friendly hotel staff will give them the polite boot.

I would 100% recommend this place to anyone that wants something a little more upscale, quiet, but without even a hint of being pretentious.

Room Tip: Any room is fine, we stayed in one of the more affordable rooms and were totally happy with it. I su...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

In all honestly, it is tough looking into hotels/resorts online, on an island, where no one we know has ever been before.

Iguana Reef by far is the best resort on Caye Caulker, personal helpful and friendly staff, who quickly become friends to make your stay more enjoyable.

The sunsets are merely the icing on the cake when you stay at the Iguana Reef!

Thank you for making out Honeymoon truly "unbelizeable"!!!

Cheers!!!

Billy and Terri
Boston, USA

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
San Marcos, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

The location is wonderful. The staff was friendly and professional. A quite breakfast on the private beach front was delightful. The rooms and grounds were clean and well kept. Great experience and hope to return for another visit soon!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I spent a wonderful 7 nights at the Iguana Reef Inn. We absolutely loved it!! We stayed in the pool-side room with a King bed, which was very spacious and comfortable. The room had a balcony from which we watched the sunset every night. The hotel has a beautiful pool. We would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The pool-side room with the King sized bed was great value for the extra money
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed at the Iguana Reef Inn for 10 days and we can't wait to return. The rooms are large and very clean, the property is well maintained and breakfast, snacks and drinks were all amazing. The best part? The people. Liz made us feel welcome (ask her about her inside tips on where to get the best ceviche), Alex and Adam made sure we had everything we needed and helped book some memorable trips for us, and Otis was the best bartender and chef ever.Thanks everyone for your warm hospitality and for making us feel so welcome!
PS: breakfasts are great: homemade granola and homemade yoghurt, fresh fruit, good coffee and fresh baking.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel
#12 of 19 in Caye Caulker
Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Been to Iguana Reef Inn? Share your experiences!