“Paradise!”
Review of Iguana Reef Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Iguana Reef Inn
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

The Iguana Reef Inn is a piece of paradise on laid-back Caye Caulker. We arrived earlier than planned due to a late-coming rainy season. (We were in San Ignacio but all the tours there were flooded out.) I’m glad we arrived in Caye Caulker a day earlier and stayed for five days at the Iguana Reef. Staff accommodated our one-day extension without issue.

Staff (thanks specifically to Liz, Otis and Ingrid) are accommodating and friendly. I much enjoyed the cocktail of the day while sitting by the pool. The pool is clean and refreshing, and I especially enjoyed the chairs that are partially in the pool – perfect for a hot day. The view of the sunset over the ocean from the dock in the back is absolutely stunning. The hotel has kayaks and guests can take them out for an hour free of charge. It’s also located within walking distance to the main street area, to the water taxis, to good restaurants, and– for anyone who enjoys scuba diving – is right beside an excellent dive company (BDS).

The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. We stayed in a room facing the courtyard – I certainly don’t regret not having an ocean view. We were greeted with different towel animals daily (iguanas, turtles, rabbits, swans...) The bed was very comfortable. We much enjoyed lounging around on the couch, or on chairs in front of our room, or on the hammock outside.

Although the hotel is more on the expensive side, especially for Caye Caulker, it is completely worth it! I intend to stay here again if (when) I return to Belize.

• Stayed: November 2013
There are newer reviews for Iguana Reef Inn

Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights here during our honeymoon this year and let me tell you it is a must stay place. Now we were in Belize during low season so we almost had the resort to ourselves but WOW what a place. The rooms are impressively large with beautiful finishings, small fridge, eating area and a couch everything is just perfect. Only points I might mention is there are no tv’s (not that I would ever use one but some of you may) and I think that is a room specific thing and no alarm clock I thought a touch odd, but we had our phones so no big deal. The grounds, pool and breakfast areas are pristine. They have a great little dock out back across a small road with some chairs to get a amazing sunset in and a swim in the ocean if you want. I recommend a trip to “The Split” if you really want to swim, well you should go to the split anyways but better swimming there. The Split is a small channel that has been cut into the island from a hurricane years ago, that is the story anyways. About a 5 min walk from the hotel, everything is about a five min walk as Caulker is very small. You also need to have dinner at Roses Bar & Grill some of the best seafood you will ever have. Nothing fancy and thats what I like about it from the ocean to the drum grill to your plate. I will write a review for them also so keep an eye out. All and all a must stay place in Caye Caulker, oh I forgot Belize Diving Service is right next door, one of the nicer more professional shops on the island really good guys. I wish I had spent more days to check out more stuff but such is life I guess I just have to go back. :)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for four nights and really could not imagine coming back to Caye Caulker and not staying here. I think this is one of only a couple of high end hotels on the island, and far exceed our expectations in almost every possible way. A nice, very clean, large room with both an ocean and pool view was so comfortable... The hotel had a nice pool and small private beach area which was rare for the island. As the island is so small, you can walk to anywhere in minutes. The staff is helpful and eager to help with airport or ferry transfers, suggest restaurants, book excursions, etc. Their bartender was top notch and made some very nice afternoon cocktails. I really can't say enough nice things about this place.

Room Tip: We had room 12 which was a deluxe room and very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Iguana Reef is a perfect choice for those wanting to gat away from the hustle and bustle of the main drag.
Although not a huge property the Inn is the closest we saw to a resort on the island. The pool area was spotless and well maintained as were the rooms. The deck out front is also a perfect spot to relax and watch the water traffic go by.
All the staff were super friendly and they had excellent coffee with the included breakfast of breads, pastries and fruit.
All in all a great base to explore from.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We rarely go back to the same place twice, but this is the exception to the rule.This is our second time, and it won't be our last. We came at the height of hurricane season, and it rained a lot, but the staff bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable. The room was immaculate. Pool and ac are bonuses. My only advice is to not come in September, as many restaurants and stores are closed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anne F
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Another great stay at this hotel. Caye Caulker's best. The staff is so great. They are the best. We'll be back! This is already our second stay at this hotel. Stayed at another but there is no comparison.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and booked into room 12 on the 2nd floor (King suite) based on other reviews. The room was extremely spacious with a king bed and sitting area with a couch and separate area for the bathroom. The veranda looked out onto the pool area and the water (west view) with a couch outside to watch the sunset. The room has a mini fridge to keep your drinks cool.
The hotel offers continental breakfast each morning (fruit, toast and yogurt) however we skipped it and went to Glenda's each morning for her AMAZING cinnamon rolls - get there early they sell out quick.
Overall, the location was great a couple of blocks off front street by the soccer field. The pool is small but nice to have an afternoon dip as there aren't a lot of places to go in the water unless you go to the split.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
#16 of 19 in Caye Caulker
The Phoenix Resort
The Phoenix Resort
#1 of 53 in San Pedro

Been to Iguana Reef Inn? Share your experiences!