Vega Inn and Gardens
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
$70
$68
$210
  • Pool
De Real Macaw(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
$59
  • Beachfront
Anchorage Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
$78
$71
Popeyes Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)
$52
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
Anchorage Resort Hotel Belize City(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
$85
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
Caye Caulker Condos(Caye Caulker)
  • Pool
Barefoot Beach Belize(Caye Caulker)
  • Beachfront
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This place is terrible!!! And extremely overpriced!! I went to Belize for business and decided to stay an extra night and go to so-recommended Caye Caulker. The people at my hotel in Belize City made this reservation on my behalf, not knowing what it was like. We were misled by the fact that the hotel had probably the largest add in the Cay Caulker section of Destination Belize, Belize’s main touristic magazine (www.destinationbelize.com). I think these guys should be a lot more careful on the type of hotels they implicitly endorse by publishing their ads!
I paid US$110 for a junk! The room was dark, dirty, old, and noisy. Bathroom pipes and furniture have rust stains (hopefully that’s what it is!) all over. All the furniture is extremely old and falling apart. The mattresses are a bunch of old metal springs put together under a filthy sheet. The towels they give you are closer to a dirty and stained sheet of sand paper than to a regular piece of cloth (let aside a clean fluffy towel). If you can't see my pictures here, contact me and I'll be happy to provide you with plenty of photos of the dungeon-like room you'd be renting. Also, the hotel in general (an almost abandoned front yard and a crumbling Colonial house) is in miserable conditions, with trash and junk all over the place.
In addition, the lady that runs (and owns?) the place is unfriendly and rude. After checking in at the hotel, I went out for breakfast and to stroll around the island. Then I saw how much better (and even cheaper!) other hotels were. (There are several beautiful lodging options at similar (or even lower) prices in Caye Caulker. Go to those!!). So I went back to the hotel and told the lady very politely that I apologized for the inconvenience but wished to cancel my stay. I had not received any cancellation policy and people in other hotels told me that this sort of cancellation was acceptable in the island, but when I said I was staying at the Vega Inn they said "Ouch, that lady is not very nice. Good luck!". Undeterred, I decided to try my luck. When I did, as kindly as possible, the Vega Inn's lady's first reaction was to call me a snob. I decided to take no offense and remain as calm and kind as at the beginning. We talked for over 15 minutes and she never even offered to make a discount, or charge a cancellation fee, nothing!
In the end, I decided that she is free to charge whatever she wants and that it was my mistake to not have gained more information before making a reservation, and decided to go with her rip-me-off deal and make justice through this review, which I will post as extensively as I can. I could have just walked away and deny any charges to my bank, but I don't think that's fair either.
About the snob part... I think her hotel is okay if you are looking for a sort of back-packer's travel (which I've done several times, myself). But then prices should be adjusted. I would not pay more than US$40 a night for the room I got. And still, given the manager's attitude, I would recommend you to seek other options within that price range.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Hector C
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We, along with our daughter and son-in-law, spent nine days in Caye Caulker in late February/early March, in one of the Vega Inn's apartments, about a block from the main Vega Inn. This upstairs two-bedroom apartment is in a building located on its own, locked small garden property, filled with beautiful trees and plants, birds, iguanas. It's very simple and basic, but had all we needed for our stay. Levita, our housekeeper, who came every day to sweep floors, empty garbage, etc., was an absolute delight, and had much good information to share with us, including where to buy hot, just-off-the-griddle flour tortillas, which we enjoyed several days.
If you're looking for luxury, you won't find it here. You will find, instead, a reasonably priced relatively comfortable place to stay. But, if you're just trying to re-create your U.S. vacation, then what are you doing in Belize?

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MTnative46
Reviewed February 8, 2012

The woman that runs this establishment is one MEAN person. Needs to take a course in customer relations. HOLY - Was yelling at me because I gave some food to a starving dog that was on her lot. She could've handled this situation very differently, politely, instead I was very afraid of her. Would never stay at her run down inn either - too dreary & she's too Nasty! Seaside Cabana's next door was excellent!

Room Tip: Anywhere else
Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2012

There arel two types of rooms in the vega inn. Beach rooms and ones across the street. In both locations the gardens are unkept making it feel dirty and attract gnats and other bugs- both around the area and in the room. The room across the street is loud and noisy. The entrance way is dark and is suggested you lock yourself in. I stayed when there were no other attendants. It was scary. The beach rooms do not have a beach view as the view is blocked with rubbish and trash. For the amount I paid I found I could get nice rooms with beach view in a cleaner location. When asking for a refund for the next night they refused. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Maria Vega has a variety of rentals, some in her own house and other freestanding houses nearby. I stayed in a room upstairs in her main building, right by the beach. Her father built the house in the 1950s and is true Old Island Style. I was very comfortable and Maria was a great host. She introduced me to a wide variety of island characters and even insisted I attend her father’s 86th birthday party.

The house is in a coconut grove on the beach near the docks. There is only a small sign in the bushes out front by the wooden gate. Her property is quiet and the rooms are clean and well furnished with mostly 1950s-style furniture. There are numerous hammocks and Maria makes you feel at home. It is not luxury - no AC or flat screen TV. The fan was enough for me and I rarely watched the TV.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo