“this is not Maldives or Bora Bora”
Review of Caye Caulker

Caye Caulker
Book In Advance
More Info
$25.00*
and up
Belize City to Caye Caulker Round Trip Boat Ride
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I wasnt impressed by the island at all. Mainly because there are no sandy beaches plus it is tonnes of rubbish everywhere. People are very friendly and I felt very safe. It was a new experience to me as the island is quite unique but I dont recommend it to people that are after amazing scenery and pristine beaches...Also it is quite scary to get there if you take a ferry from Belize City - overcrouded ferries plus Belize City is a very dangerous place.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,543)
All reviews
in 33 reviews
"water taxi"
in 90 reviews

Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I just spent 10 days there. It was the best vacation I have ever been on. It was so relaxing, yet there was enough to do to keep us busy if we wanted to be. I might not go back in July, as it was extremely humid (due to storms that came through), and lots of mosquitos, but I will definitely be back!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

It only happens one weekend a year but it is worth the trip! Tent after tent set up with lobster grilling everywhere! Have eaten hundreds if not thousands of lobster and probably had the best ever at Lobster Fest in Caye Caulker! Lobster come back in season on June 16th so this is usually the last weekend in June. This sleepy little village comes to life for the weekend!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My mother and I travelled to Caye Caulker in the off-season last October to go scuba diving. It was easy to get there - we took a quick Tropic Air flight (instead of the street taxi-to-water taxi option) that left right from the International Airport in Belize City. While we were at first surprised at the dirt landing strip and shack-like "airport" there, and the dirt streets that led to what initially struck us a fairly primitive town, we quickly adjusted to the surroundings and pace and the very friendly locals and thoroughly enjoyed our entire time there. The water and beaches were beautiful, and we really enjoyed having an uncrowded island. Because it was the off-season, about half of the restaurants were closed. But we had no trouble finding places that were open. There are nothing but local restaurants, and one should not expect a tourist-y type place. We were plenty content for 3 days...but spent a good portion of our time scuba diving. I'm not sure how many other activities would have been available. We moved to Ambergris Caye for our last day to explore the diving options there, and also for comparison. While we only saw San Jose there, and it was considerably busier, I can honestly say we missed Caye Caulker. I would return to Caye Caulker and mainland Belize but would not return to Ambergris Caye except for the diving. I would recommend Caye Caulker to someone who would welcome a slower pace, doesn't need a fancy hotel, and who likes the local-type experience. It would likely not entertain a "spring break" seeker. As another note, it was quite inexpensive!

2  Thank LeeCMKennedy
See more reviews
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent a week on Caye Caulker. It's a beautiful, authentically Belizean island with few tourist places and fewer annoying tourist vendors trying to sell you 1. Jewelry or 2. Time shares.
We stayed at Jaguar Morning Star B & B which IMHO us one of the nicest, relaxing boatels on the island. (See our review elsewhere)
As we had a kitchen we ate breakfast and ouch at our apartment and dinner out. Restaurants were reasonably priced and not crowded. It IS a bit of a pain to get here as we came from Playa via ADO bus, and then took a water jet taxi from Chetumal to Ambergris and then on to Caulker. Nevertheless a great island filled with gentle and kind people who live a much slower life. Recommend!