“Brilliant snorkeling trip”
Review of Tsunami Adventures

Tsunami Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: We are your one stop Snorkel and Tour Shop, offering a wide variety of services for Caye Caulker and Belize. Mayan Sites and Cave Tubing Adventures. Scenic Flights to the Great Blue Hole. Mangrove Cruises by Ponton and Sunset Cruise. Snorkeling and Fishing Trips. We can help you with any questions you may have.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Atlanta, GA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Brilliant snorkeling trip”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked the 4 stop snorkeling trip with Tsunami because they were right next door to our accommodations. I'm surprised at the negative reviews because we had a fantastic time! We took the boat out to the reef, and were given a guided snorkel tour around the main area of the reef. It's good to have a guide here, because there are a lot of boats, a lot of snorkelers and the area is huge. He pointed out the different types of fish, coral, and turtles. He also told us it is forbidden to touch anything, plus that would be unsafe as animals bite. The next 3 stops were unguided as they weren't as large. We saw sharks being fed at Shark/Ray alley, and huge stingrays and turtles at one of the other sites. We finished with a leisurely boat ride around the uninhabited side of the Caye while we enjoyed our rum punch. Definitely worth it, and the best thing we did while on the Caye.

Visited January 2013

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Solid tour company”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Tsunami was conveniently located near our hotel and recommended by the hotel manager. They helped us snorkel on the local reef, rent sea kayaks, and visit the Swallow Caye manatee reserve. These were all things that could have been done with other operators for similar rates, but we were happy with our experiences with Tsunami. They were friendly, accomodating and knowledgable.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Night snorkelling...”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited shark-ray alley, followed by night snorkelling on the barrier reef, followed by crocodile spotting around Caye Caulker.

Our guide Daniel was not an "in your face" all guns blazing" tour leader type, which suited us fine. Instead, his calm demeanour and obvious knowledge of the location and its marine life allowed us to enjoy the tour at the right pace.

Being on the reef at night really added to the mystery and "other-worldliness" of the under water environment. We saw lobsters, crabs, an octopus, a squid, a golden chain eel, a porcupine fish, bioluminescent worms, and much more.

In our opinion the crocodile spotting was a bit of an after thought. I didn't see any crocs and my girlfriend thinks she maybe saw one pair of eyes in the mangroves. On the other hand, it was a nice opportunity to wind down after the trip and enjoy nachos and rum punch provided by Tsunami.

One thing I would say is that a few of the torches were temperamental, intermittently failing and having to be swapped in the water. This is an easy fix, just make sure you have new batteries and your kit is maintained as a matter of routine... Not just fixed when it happens to stop working!

Visited December 2012
Portland, Oregon
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Questionable transaction”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friend and I rented a double kayak to cruise around the island in. For $15BZ for the first hour it seemed like a good deal, and the lady was really nice that we rented from. We cruised up through the split and around the backside of the island and saw some cool fish and birds. It was a cool little trip that was totally worth it. When we got back to the shop we had no concept of time and couldn't remember what time we even started the trip (it's easy to lose track of time on Caye Caulker). We had a very confusing exchange with the lady about how long we were out - she said we started at 2:40 and the clock read 3:44 but she kept saying it was 4:40 and insisted we pay for the extra hour. We didn't have watches or phones with us so we weren't sure what the real deal was and ended up paying the extra $10BZ. The money itself wasn't a big deal but when we got back to our place and saw that it was a little after 3:45 we felt ripped off. It wasn't worth going back and I felt pretty stupid that I didnt have a better grasp of my surroundings. We didn't end up kayaking again on our trip but would not have gone back there.

Visited November 2012
TsunamiCayeCaulker, Owner at Tsunami Adventures, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hi Shellie, We have no intention of over charging guests. You should of came back to our office, or had your hotel call us. Amanda has my phone number. We would of gladly returned your $10BZD. When we rent kayaks, we make you sign a waiver and the time is written down when you go and return. We have a clock in our office. I am just wondering, since you are from the West Coast, perhaps you checked your watch or phone. PST prior to Nov 4th the time was one hour behind CT - Belize. Not sure if this is the case. Our kayak rentals are very reasonably priced. In Portland, Oregon double kayaks rent for $20USD an hour.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your kayak around the island. An average kayak rental is 2 hours to do this. Thank you for your business. If you would like to contact us for a refund, please email us, as we do not have your contact.
berlin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very untrustfull”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked a day tour to visit four spots and do some snorkelling but at the end we end up with three spots only and the guide was very rude and saying things to us in spanish that we did not understand. Moreover he was touching and ask tourists to touch and play with a raye and turtles, things that are forbidden to do. I would not recommend this agency. They sell you something but you get something else. We asked some questions to the girl at the agency but she pretend to not understand what we were saying to us. As people outside were listening to the argument, we were told by a guy in the street that Tsunami tours is quite famous for not being a serious one. Now that I am reading the others comments I understand why. There are many other agencies more serious in the island.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank hansfitzpatrick
We are very sorry to hear that, I wish I knew. The person that you spoke with is no longer working with us since September. She should of called me.
In slow season all the shops work together to make the trips depart. All shops offer 3 same basic tours. Hol Chan / Local Reef and Manatee Tour. We have a minimum number of people that is required to operate each tour. Not all shops offer 4 stops, it is a bonus stop with our shop! If we do not get enough people, we offer you a refund, or opportunity to go with another shop or post pone until we operate the tour. We explain that the bonus site will not be included. We do not touch marine life with our tour guides, however other tour guides that work with other shops know that there is a lot of tourist that like this. On this day, we send you with another shop. It sounds to me that this was not explained to you. We would like to offer you a refund, so please contact us. Thank you Heather Martin owner Tsunami Adventures