“blue hole” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Fish Dive Center

Big Fish Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Big Fish Dive Center, fully equipped to meet your most demanding diving needs is centrally located and just across from the Health Center. We have worked hard together making sure our customers are met with first hand services and ultimate safety. Our dive tours are conducted by trained and knowledgeable dive masters taking you to only the best dive sites amidst richness and splendor of exotic marine life and coral formations.
aarhus
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“blue hole”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I went with big fish to the blue hole for 3 dives, one at the blue hole and 2 half moon caye. They were great, the service was good, lunch was good and most importantly for the blue hole the safety and briefing was very good. Life in caye caulker is a little slower than the rest of the world so I was impressed they were so on the ball, in all areas. I would use them again!

Visited July 2012

San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Bait & Switch - Avoid Oscar, Mario Tours”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I will make this very simple. We were a family of 4 - husband, wife, 2 kids.
Point 1: We all signed up for "All Day" snorkeling tour. I was enticed by a guy called Oscar. He told me it will last 10:30 am to 4:30pm. It lasted only till about 2:45pm. They collected "All Day" price from 4 of us. We paid $90 Belizian dollars for *each person* - that is about USD $170 for 4 of us.

Point 2: They promised fruit, water and lunch. Lunch was a freakin' cheap burger but the guy asked us if we wanted Chicken, Fish or Vegetarian "lunch". The burger they give us like the one from $1 menu at McDonald's. Actually I prefer McDonald's lunch. Lunch was HORRIBLE. Carry your own favorite lunch if you can even if this jerk does NOT give a discount for lunch. At least you will have a nice meal.

Point 3: Neither me nor my wife have much background in swimming. We both tried snorkeling. Finally I (husband) got a hang of it after 15 to 20 minutes. My wife could not handle. She really tried to snorkel as she wanted to (at heart) but she fell sea sick. She could not handle the sea, the smell, the feel, the water, etc. Besides she already drank a life term worth salt water. She just got "pushed" back to the boat.
Great! She is safe and that's fine. There are 4 dips/stops and my wfie came back in the first 10 minutes of the first dip. She never tried any of the rest. She said No.

Point 4: We are done with tour. I politely thanked them for the great tour for 3 of us (me and my 2 kids) but I asked them to give us a discount for my wife for whom we paid a full price. We did NOT ask for money back. We asked them to consider a discount to be applied for kids for the next day (tomorrow) as me and my kids wanted to go snorkeling again.

They went on saying Belize is a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY and the first world country "service rules" do not apply. The guy called Oscar, Mario, pretty much told me "tough luck". Oscar even wanted to call Police on me as I was trying to explain what "service means". I tried to "explain" that by giving a discount he can make the
1. experience pleasant for tourists like us
2. generate more business next day as I had FULL INTENTION to back for another tour tomorrow with 3 of us (wife excluded)
3. I can always spread the great service and drive future clientele towards him.

But they DID NOT CARE. They wanted all of us to LEAVE their office, threatened to call the police. I said "feel free to call anyone".

BTW, I really told them 100 times me and my kids liked snorkeling - but as my wife fell sea sick all I wanted them to do was consider a discount and I do NOT need money back. I just want to use that portion for the next trip very next day and I was willing to pay the money for three of us.

They DID NOT CARE. They went on arguing about FIRST WORLD vs THIRD WORLD and tried to lecture me and my wife about how we are trying to argue about money while I was trying to explain the "service" part of it.

That's the story.
Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

BTW, we WILL go snorkeling again - not with these guys for sure.

BTW, Oscar seems to be VERY PROUD about having 5 wives (perhaps not married but just illegal relationship?) and is scouting for the 6th one. He said Mario family are related to him. Technically Mario Tours is a separate entity on the street but they are ALL ONE FAMILY.
My deal was with Oscar. But when I brought about the partial-refund-applied-for-future-trip he literally said "I am tough but may be you can ask Mario". I told him "You were enthusiastic to take money from me but why is it that I have to talk to Mario?"

Interestingly Oscar never told me he was going to involve "another party" As soon as I paid money he took me to "Mario Tours" and said that Mario will take care of me. Oscar has a different shop called "Big Fish".

So, when there is a discrepancy or a dispute as in my case Oscar and Mario were playing "Ping Pong" with me. Eventually they started "ganging up".

The bottomline is we don't even know what their "relationship" is until after you pay the money.

Many of these guys are colluding. They are all a monopoly disguised as 4 or 5 different companies. Their names are Oscar, Mario, Rico, etc.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Vee T
Belo Horizonte, MG
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very good experience for a beginner diver”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I was a bit concerned about diving 130 ft (40m) deep as I had being certified one month before and I had had only 10 dives but I really wanted have the Blue Hole experience. The Big Fish would not be my first choice of dive shop in Caye Caulker, but they were the only one that did the Blue Hole the day I had available there. My experience with them was very good. On my first dive (Blue Hole) I had problem to equalize my ear and one dive master stayed with me until I was ready to join the group. One of the divers was finishing his air while we were still in the deepest part of the dive, so, the master divers took all the group earlier to the safety stop where there were some spare cylinders connected to the boat. On the other 2 dives, the master diver would check the air of the group and the ones with less air would start ascending with one master diver while the rest could enjoy the rest of the dive with the other. Moreover, all the equipment was brand new.

Visited February 2012
Utila
“Awesome trips good peopleG with them!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I lived in Belize for 8 months and escaped to the cayes to dive with big fish about once a month. They certified me and took me on some amazing trips. I had a million questions and they took the time to answer all of them. They were patient with me and helped me set up all my equipment. I really like that they are a family belizean run dive shop. They just got new equipment. The owners nephew is Armando, he is th e best person to dive with and I recommend that your request him. He is respectful and really knowledgeAble on all the fish. He knows the dive sites well and if you have any special requests he will try his best to help you. He has a good heart. They take you on 3 dives like all the other shops if you go to blue hole. You will dive the aquarium, the wall and blue hole. You will stop at half moon caye for lunch and to visit a bird sanctuary. Ask for Celso or mr. Cal and they will tell you all about the birds and give you a free tour of the island. You can also camp their over night. Big fish will take you out and bring you back, I highly recommend it, you can snorkel straight off the beach from the island it's amazing! Their is a ship wreck by the reef you can kayak to if you camp there. When I got certified I was really nervous and messed up the part where you clear your mask by letting water in. I was paranoid after that something was wrong because I started to feel chest pain that night. I found the instructor from the dive shop and he helped me track down a nurse and stayed with me a few hours and I was fine it turs out, I went on oxygen just to be safe but he was looking up everytng in the book it could possibly be to showme and was very professional and sympathetic. Theguys from the dive shop even were protective and took care ofme when men on the street hassled me for being a white female walking alone... Yes expect the Rastas to bother you if you are a gringa walking alone, not that it's dangerous but the. Ate unnecessary comments. I really enjoyed big fish and I would disregard the comment that that guy and his girlfriend made about them, when I saw the comment i was vu shocked, i asked around on the island what really happened and it turns out he was really hard headed during his certification. He didn't want to pay attention or listen to anyone. His instructor advised that hedidntdive blue hole knowing how stubborn he was but he went anyway. Blue holeisno joke, you shouldn't go unless you are comfortable diving, and although any dive company will take you shortly after open water certification, it's your responsibility to know what your limits are. Imany people dive it shortly after learning and are fine, it depends on the person, but in Honduras to do a dive that deep you need advanced open water certification. I also heard that he didn't actually have the bends, the chamber took him in cuz they were so broke from not having any patients in so long that they needed the money. He was told he didn't have the bends by the instructors but he didn't listen because he listens to nobody and he went to the chamber anyway. Its a bumpy ride out to the scuba sites off the cayes no matter which boat you take, but it's worth it. Ill always use big fish, a lot of instructors come and go and they just fired one that they had trouble with, they want their clients to be happy, if you have a problem let them know and they will fix it . Have fun! Check out hol chan it's a great site too.

Visited March 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“NO Longer with PADI EXPELLED”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

i was reading my updated and saw that big fish and their instructor have been expelled from PADI. This does not mean the can work as a tour operation just that they are not PADI.
If the BTB expells them then they will be in trouble as they will not have a belizian license to operate
Hopefully they will not become a NAUI or SSI agency