Coconut Reef Caribbean Trattoria
Cuisines: Caribbean, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We went to Coconut Reef for the first day they were open for lunch. This is a very new restaurant and I was amazed at the service and food quality, especially for being so new. Not only was it the best service we had at a sit down restaurant the entire time we were there, the food was so good! I had the Reefer sandwich (grilled snapper with aoili) and my husband had the pizza. The sandwich was delicious and the pizza, well lets just say Coconut Reef has won my vote for best pizza on the island. The prices are a little higher than other places, but still very reasonable. My sandwich was about $12.50US and the pizza was about $10US, but enough for two lighter-eaters to share. The owner chatted with us while we dined and he was very nice without trying hard to impress us. The server was nice and even cleaned (with bleach water) the high chair for my son when we sat down.

1  Thank AlaskaTravels907

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Had a great evening at this restaurant. Pizza is by far the best on the island! I shall be back soon for another amazing pizza.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We ordered take out pasta just a week ago, and were excited to try this location's food again, under new ownership. It was a late evening (around 8:30pm). They said they had no delivery that night so we sent someone (and paid for that) to go pick it up, which is fine. The pasta carbonara was incredibly greasy - swimming in oil - and one order barely filled half of the take out box. The lasagna was also a tiny portion, a thin slice that shocked even our 12 year old. Aside from that, the most disappointing part was that we were actually served stale foccaccia bread! So stale it was visible and you could smell that it had gone bad. I find it baffling that a restaurant charging that much (or any reputable restaurant) can miss that and slice and serve stale bread! Good thing we noticed before taking a bite. Most disappointing fine dining experience in Belize.

2  Thank Liliye
Michel C, Owner at Coconut Reef Caribbean Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

We sincerely apologize for your bad experience with our restaurant. If you are still on the island, or if you come back, I hope that we get the opportunity to make it up to you and your family.

Hopefully, the rest of your stay on the island is going well

Michel Camilleri

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I were staying on Caye Caulker, and doing a lot of diving. After returning from a dive in the early afternoon, and while we were debating over what to have for dinner, we saw the sign for Coconut Reef, and joked with each other about being "early bird" diners. Then we read the menu, and decided to take a seat. This was the right choice. I had lobster pasta, and a couple of (perfect) martinis. The owner, Michel, came out and talked to us, making sure everything was good. We sat in the front outside (you can see it in the picture of Coconut Reef), where we did some great people watching. This place is perfect for people watching because it is on Front street, and most of the people staying on the Caye eventually walk by. Did I mention that the food is really, really good? Pasta is made fresh daily, and the appetizers where excellent. It's not the cheapest place in Caye Caulker, but it is definitely worth the money!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I were honeymooning in Caye Caulker. We visited the Coconut Reef for our Valentine's day diner. It was the perfect location for our first Valentine's as husband and wife. The owner had reserved a table on the patio that looked out onto the ocean. I had the char-grilled lime and peppercorn tuna steak with a drizzle of citrus wasabi and my husband had the lasagna, both were excellent. It was the best tuna steak I've ever had in my life! My husband said the lasagna was amazing too. We received a complimentary blackberry cheesecake for dessert since it was Valentine's day.
The owner and the manager visited our table to ensure our satisfaction. The owner informed us that the tuna had been caught the same day. He gets a phone call from the boat that day and makes his specials based on the catch of the day, so everything is very fresh. The customer service and attention to detail was impeccable.
We definitely recommend you visit Coconut Reef while you're on the island!