“Good times”

Belize Diving Services
More attraction details
Owner description: The Great Blue Hole, Turneffe Atoll and The Belize Barrier Reef our some of our most popular dive sites. All computer diving and modern equipment help to give our dive masters and instructors the tools they need to do their job with expert care.Whether your goals are to take your first breaths on scuba, to become an instructor, or to dive to the bottom of the Great Blue Hole. We will be happy to work with you.Since 1978 Belize Diving Services has been continuously operating dive tours from the beautiful Island of Caye Caulker in Belize. Whether your first time diving or your 10,000 we will be happy to show you the underwater world of Belize.
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good times”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Duane and I really enjoyed the diving in Belize. The reefs are so healthy both in terms of plant life and the creatures. We especially appreciated being able to go to the reefs around the blue hole twice, without having to do the hole itself twice. Thank you for trying that out with us. The on board lunch was yummy!

It was also nice to have the lockers available, since our rooms on the island didn't really offer space to store dive gear.

Even having drinks right after arriving back to shore really helped slow our pace to match island time. I loved the watermelon martini's and the onion rings/jalapeño rings appetizer.

Nothing comes to mind for improvements.

Edmonton, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Top Notch”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Belize Diving Services does a great job. They are very safety conscious and have excellent equipment. Our best dive was on the reef by San Pedro. Highly recommend.

1 Thank Kirk1957
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Very professional.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've heard stories of shady dive operators willing to take just about anyone on a dive trip, to depths not really safe for their skill level. This isn't one of those dive shops.

My friend and I hadn't gone diving in 3 years... and forgot that if that's the case, you need to do a check out dive with an instructor. They didn't want us to miss out on a day of diving, but they needed to follow the rules. They suggested we show up an extra hour early the next morning, and hopefully they'd have an instructor who could show up to work with us. Next day we met TJ... he explained that the conditions weren't good to dive off the dock to do the check out dive... instead, he said he would be our dive master for the day, and we could do the check out stuff with him on our first dive of the day. It worked out perfect.

We did a 2 tank local dive with them one day, and a 3 tank dive out to the blue hole the next. No complaints about either trip, good food, good equipment, and they even had biodegradable sunscreen for you to use free of charge.

As for the diving: with the exception of the blue hole (which is very over rated) all the reefs they took us too were great. We saw a sea turtle on every dive, and saw either a shark or a manta ray on the other dives too. We also saw some lion fish and eels.

1 Thank circuitmonkey
United States
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“YOU BETTER CONFIRM YOUR TRIP, otherwise great”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

2 months before our scheduled trip, we paid our deposit via PayPal. Belize Diving Services told us to confirm the trip the week of. I sent an email 5 days before our excursion & even received a response back from CJ... Imagine my surprise, showing up at 5am to realize our reservation was not on record & no guide was available.

I was pissed as this was the ONLY day we could do the excursion. The employees tried to tell us (first) we were at the wrong diving company - not true, I had all the emails printed. Then, they tried to say we never paid the deposit - also not true, since I had the PayPal receipt. We offered to go without a guide because we HAD to go that day, but they would not allow it.

In the end, the company made good & found a guide to take us that day, but it was a big headache especially considering we did EVERYTHING Belize Diving Service asked us to do beforehand.

Our snorkeling guide was knowledgeable & spotted wildlife we would have missed. We loved the 3 stops and the entire crew was friendly. I was glad they provided drinking water and reef-safe sunscreen on the boat. Also, I enjoyed the half hour after lunch to roam Half Moon Caye. Lunch tasted delicious as well!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank gorocketdog
Seattle, Washington
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Best place on Caulker for getting your certification”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I got my SDI diver certification here, and I'm glad I chose BDS. My dive instructors (Gene and TJ) were professional, informative, helpful, and didn't have even a hint of the attitude that dive instructors sometimes seem to have. They also didn't come across as partiers, which seems to be a problem at some of the other Caulker dive shops. The equipment was all pretty new, the shack where they refill the tanks is clean, communication was good, and we did some great dives for our open water. I also like the use of dive computers throughout the training, which I guess is a feature of the SDI training program. My only suggestion would be that they do a better job letting people know about sea conditions for the longer boat trips. Our dive to Turneffe was a rough ride and quite a few divers got seasick. It probably would have helped if BDS suggested to people that they take something before that crossing. Anyway, check the reviews of the other places that certify on the island. BDS costs about $40 more, but they clearly run the safest shop, and $40 is a small price to pay for your safety.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank michaelszippy
Argos1980, Owner at Belize Diving Services, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
I want to thank you so much for taking the time to write such an informative review. I think our future divers will appreciate.

I would like to take a moment to talk a little about the Turneffe trip and the seas you experienced en route that you felt was a negative. We are the only shop in Belize that runs beginning students to Atolls as apart of their open water certification dives. We feel that this location while further away, and a little harder to get to is a better place to learn than in the 6 ft swells on the Barrier Reef that you made your drive uncomfortable.

When we were teaching closer to home, as is the norm in Belize, during the rougher months as many as 2 out of 10 people were deciding diving wasn't for them after there first two dives. We made the decision to start teaching your first two dives on Turneffe. Now maybe 1 out of 50 is deciding diving is not for them. And that is usually on the first day training in the pool.

You suggest we prepare you and suggest sea sickness tablets. That is actually another tough one. Some say taking medication that impairs your ability to function or as they say, "operate heavy machinery" might not be best before operating life support equipment 40 ft below the sea. Of course you have to balance your level of impairment against your level of misery. As an open water scuba diver (Congrats by the way) now you as an adult can gather information and make the decision for yourself. When you are under our care as a student we will adhere to the latest DAN (Divers Alert Network) recommendations. What they have told me is and I am paraphrasing here, "its not ideal to be impaired either by medication or seasickness". IF someone is too seasick to dive they will know it. But recognizing impairment might be difficult until an emergency is in process.

We cover the degrees of difficulty of diving in Belize on our website and speak specifically about the sea state. I have even coded them with the same coding as you might see on a ski hill to help people understand what they are dealing with when they come to Belize. As you dive more you will see that the longer rough road often leads to some of the best diving. Unfortunately, a lot of the low hanging fruit with easy access has seen a lot of divers over the years and the wear and tear is evident.

But anyway I am sure that when you got to the calm swimming pool like conditions of Turneffe Atoll (A world Heritage site by the way). Most seasickness abated and people were able to dive. And only those who made the informed decision to use seasickness meds were a little impaired.

Dive Safe!