I booked this based on the reviews and was happy with my choice.
Quick summary: spacious, clean, good location, good views, professional staff
We stayed a few days here and opted for the penthouse as it wasn't too much more.
This hotel did keep emailing me a few times about picking up from the airport and sending a golf cart for me, they obviously make a commission for this or are helping out family ect. We read a review saying you have to wait for other guests for the same cost as the taxi so we made out own way and unless you have trouble with bags you may as well save a few dollars by walking. Nothing is far to walk to on Caye Caulker.
The hotel is easy to find, just walk right at the dock and keep going down the main street till you spot the tall yellow building.
The check-in was not really friendly but was very professional, a rarity in Belize where customer service is usually non existent. There was an British lady when we checked who was much friendlier.
You enter from the side of the pool and the part time reception is a small office by the front gate. We did use the pool once, we were the only ones and it was quite nice, certainly clean. A few deck chairs around too.
The penthouse was big, certainly for 2 of us. A number of sofas in the living area and also on the balcony. The kitchen had a breakfast bar and a good size fridge. We mostly ate out but was nice to keep a few beers cold. Nice view from the balcony over the pool and you can watch the kite surfers on the sea.
The bedroom had an en suite with a decent shower and the usual toiletries. What was nice was a walk in wardrobe with shelves and the safe, really useful as we had a fair bit of kit. There is a second bedroom and bathroom we didn't use, I think you get charged more to use these.
I didn't see the other rooms but other reviewers seem happy with them so I'll just mention that if you are likely to be in and out a lot, the penthouse is up a few sets of stairs so that might bother you.
The roof had loads of seating, hammocks and the jacuzzi. It was a bit windy so we didn't spend much time up here. As mentioned the Jacuzzi is not heated during the day and the only change I had to use it was about 4pm and it was a bit to cold to stay in.
The only other hotel we stayed in on Caye Caulker was the Mirimar which was like a 3rd world hostel with the classic rusty ceiling fan, broken light switches and showers. Looking around the island though, Caye Reef did look in better condition than everything else.
If I was going back, I'd certainly choose this place again.
Very minor things they could do to improve:
- heat the jacuzzi earlier, or put a heat switch on it
- erm, nothing else I can think off really
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- CayeReef is six beautiful & spacious beachfront serviced apartments, looking out over the world’s second largest barrier-reef. Comfortably accommodating between two and six guests, these luxury "homes-from-home" include: * Two large bedrooms with en-suite * Spacious lounge area with sofa/sofa bed * Fully equipped kitchen with mod-cons and breakfast bar * Walk-in showers * Balcony over-looking the reef * AC, or use the sea-breeze and fans * Free WiFi internet access * Cable TV * Telephone * Safe * Swimming pool * Roof terrace with jacuzzi * Spectacular views * Unconditional support. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Cayereef Hotel Caye Caulker