“Clean, big & perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of CayeReef

We can't find prices for this hotel
CayeReef
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Olhao, Portugal
“Clean, big & perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed here for one week with family. Taxi transfer from the airport was hassle free. The place was way bigger than expected and spotless. The staff were great - not in your face, but always ready to help (they gave us a cell phone to reach them too!). The roof views are out of this world and the hot tub was heated when we requested (a mistake because it was too hot for a 'hot' tub). Highly recommended. Cool and quite, but near the action - we let the breeze blow through the apartment and didn't need to turn the AC on (fans at night).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

We spent 6 nights in the penthouse and could not have been happier. Great views, great sized unit and close to the roof with the spa. [Won't call it a hot tub because it's not heated but then who wants that in June!] We spent a couple of afternoons up there and found the chill factor outstanding. Quick walk to the split and up on the N. end so a bit quieter at night than other areas. They also cleaned the beachfront every morning and it was immaculate with reserved seating. :)

They provided a cell phone which we didnt think we would use but sure enough we ordered pizza delivery 1 night and booked TropicAir for our flight out instead of taking the slow, overcrowded ferry. [btw - Trpic flies into Belize Int'l]. They also provided large Crystal bottled water even though they purchase their regular water from the city and it was safe to drink. A very nice perk.

I would highly recommend this place. Nice staff, super location and excellent A/C!!

Room Tip: Penthouse is the best, only 1 more flight to the rooftop
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doug H
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

For the price and location, CayeReef is a nice place to stay. It's a 5 minute walk from the center of "town" but close to the split, which is the best place for swimming. The rooms are big, have nice balconies and are well air conditioned, but the furniture is dated relative to the rest of the property and my bed sheets had lots of stains on them, which I wouldn't mind at one of the island hostels but for this place was a little disappointing. Outside, the pool and roof deck were both great. If you need a pool to cool off, this is one of the better options on the island. The hot tub wasn't hot but that didn't matter much to me.

The SCAM. So this isn't a huge deal but the owner should know better than to scam her customers. Basically, after I booked my room I got an email saying they would meet me at the airport and take me to the ferry for $25 (US) which is the same price of a cab -- this is true and so I didn't hesitate. What I didn't know is that they actually were charging $25 EACH to me and 3 other unsuspecting people and I had to wait 45 minutes outside the airport with driver so he could fill his van. Because of this, I had to wait for the next ferry to Caulker and effectively could have taken a taxi alone for the same price. To top it off, when I arrived at Caulker and had no idea where the place was there was no one from the hotel there to greet me, as had been promised, which was confusing/annoying. I really expected more from a place where everyone was so friendly.

Also, they double charged by credit card for the room though I assume this was just an honest mistake.

All in all, a good place to stay on Caulker but don't get duped by the taxi scam--pay for your own and get to the water taxi as fast as you can -- no reason to spend any extra time in Belize City.

Room Tip: Second and third floor rooms have better views of the sea.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank bigbertnyc
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
I am sorry to hear that the taxi service was not to your expectation. The taxi driver was wholly independent of CayeReef and we gain no commission or other benefit from arranging a taxi to meet our guests. I expect missing the ferry was the reason you were not met on the Caye; though I trust you caught one of the many golf cart taxi drivers the short drive to CayeReef.
Cerritos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

We had reservations for four nights and extended one more night that is how ,much we loved the place! The condos are wonderful! The staff is outstanding! We were in the top unit No. 5 and when we entered on our first day we were in awe of the view and the space. The staff arranged bikes for us the first day and we rode all over the island. The place is close to everything. The location can't be beat! The two bedroom condo was beautiful, clean and comfortable. They provided a cell in case we needed anything from the staff? Free Wifi was efficient and reliable. We sat on the balcony every day and enjoyed the view and activity going by in the morning and the evening. It was such a treat! Great place to stay if going with friends, another couple, or family. When we come back, and we will, we will stay here.

Room Tip: The top floors are the best! But any room would be wonderful!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

If you want to get away while still having all of the convenience of home, this is it! This was our first trip to Belize and was prompted by my sisters wedding. We reserved the whole of CayeReef (Six independent suites with two rooms each) and had an amazing experience.

The rooms are well maintained, with full kitchen facilities, internet access (not that you'll really want it except to update facebook and make your friends jealous!), multiple bathrooms, and very easy access to the beach!

The roof-top hot-tub is amazing. The views from the top are... wow... and then there's the pool which the kids loved (when they weren't at the beach...)

All-in-all, I couldn't suggest a better place to stay especially if you've never been to Belize before. Now... if you're a regular and like to get closer to the locals, there might be alternatives but for my money, this is the place!

Room Tip: If stairs aren't an issue, get a higher room. Views are great! Otherwise, all the rooms are ve...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
StuartHH, Owner at CayeReef, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Thanks for the terrific review Andrew F. I know it is usually easier to complain than complement so it is great to get your pat on the back.
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed in the penthouse for 9 days and it was the most relaxing vacation we have had "TO DATE"...Amazing views from the balcony...ocean and sun and 360 views from the rooftop terrace!!! The early morning sunrise (5:30 am was blinding and beautiful) there were so many moments of complete silence (except for palm tree breezes and birds) it was unreal! The staff was wonderful especially Miss. Rusty (the hard working doggy). Counting the days to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

My wife and I just wrapped up our 10-year anniversary trip to Caye Caulker. CayeReef was the perfect spot for us. The bedroom, kitchen and common space were spacious and clean. The pool was refreshing and shaded (good news for us) from about 2 pm to dark. The rooftop terrace was incredible - 100% sun, 360 degree views of ocean to the east and west and island to the north and south, hammocks, jacuzzi, sunset views over the water, etc. Our internet outlet was not working when we first arrived. After I reported it, it was fixed within 15 minutes, enabling us to video chat with our kids back home. They provided a cell phone for local calls that one can also add international minutes to. The safe in the apartment was so handy for passports and other important belongings. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Because of the easy access to the rooftop, we were happy choosing the apartment 1st floor unit for a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple